BC Boards

UPDATE: BEN IS NOT LOST (c:

Permission to crosspost.

Border Collie missing or most likely stolen from north of Durham, North Carolina.

Ben is a classically marked, rough coated, black and white Border Collie, eleven years old, about 47 pounds but looks much bigger. He was wearing a green coated nylon collar with a brass name plate with our contact information. Ben is my avatar dog.

He was last seen about 9 am Sunday, January 28 - we did not discover he was missing for several hours, however, due to my thinking he was with my husband and my husband thinking he was with me. We are fairly certain that he must have been stolen shortly after being let outside for a potty break. He does not wander, he is neutered, he is not interested in any stock besides our sheep, and he is strongly attached to our household routine. When he did not come in, in the morning, I thought he had gone for a ride with my husband and kids.

BEN IS NOT VALUABLE. He is trained to work sheep, but would only work competently for me. Ben is on several different meds, including heart meds. He is also LETHALLY allergic to most dog food. He is neutered.

I am desperate for information on Ben. We are afraid that people passing by since we moved the sheep to the new pasture on the road, seeing us work him, might have thought he was valuable, especially since we recently had a Jack Knox clinic here. He is very friendly and it would be quite easy to pick him up as we are right on the road. I am crushed at the thought of his ending his days sick and in unkind hands.

We are in Semora, North Carolina, which is about twenty minutes south of Danville, an hour south of Lynchburg, ninety minutes from Richmond, and thirty minutes north of Durham.

You can reach us at shouse@mebtel.net or (336) 234-0389 or (336) 692-0287 (Patrick cell number).

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rebecca I can't even imagine what you are going through. I will be praying Ben finds his way home soon! Please keep us posted. Is there a pic you can put up of Ben? I don't guess he would make it all the way down here, but I will pass the word on just in case. I am so sorry you and Ben and your family have to go through this.

Oh, dear. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this resolves fast and happily. I imagine you've contacted the local animal control; if you make fliers, I'd put on a photo of him and print "SPECIAL MEDICAL NEEDS" prominantly on the fliers to make him seem less appealing to anyone who might have taken him (I'd also make this notation to animal control and take them a photo as well.) If you can, posting "REWARD" may also help.

Best of luck on his safe return. Keep us posted.

Web site with pictures: http://goosedogs.com/irena/Site/Ben.html

Thank you for your kind words. There's a Ben-shaped hole in my heart right now and I'm just speechless beyond that. . .