BC Boards

Signing off

After many years of feeling welcome on these boards, I'm signing off. My BCs do not do sheep, I do not live on a working ranch (although we were actually thinking of taking HERDING LESSONS and I guess I'm tired (lately) of feeling like a second class citizen. Thanks especially to the person who sent the personal emails about the poor choice I made (actually it was my husband who is not under my control) in getting a new puppy.

Barb S

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry to hear that you are leaving but most of all that you felt treated like a second-class citizen. I hope you can reconsider and not let any one particular person try to make you feel bad.

If everyone here who never made a mistake or had something happen out of their control that was not their first choice, there would be no one here at all. I sure wouldn't be here because I've made more than my share of mistakes out of ignorance or being stubborn or thinking I knew what I was doing.

I'm sorry if I have in some way contributed to your feeling unwelcome.

Whatever your decision, enjoy your dogs and give them the good life that I know you strive to provide. Very best wishes!

I cannot find the post that started this. I wonder what went wrong.

Geez, our Fergie not only does not work sheep, she just wants to look at sheep. Treats them as we've taught her to treat deer. And as for living on a farm, we are on an acre lot within the city limits.

And I have never felt a second-class member of this board. Yeah, second - or maybe fifth - as a class of knowledge about these dogs. Because I really do not have the experience with a real herding border collie - a real working one. But I do have something to say about a BC/mix who is doing well as our pet. And I have way more to learn about the reasons for our pet's acting as she does as a pet.

Maybe it's that I earned my living as a technical editor. I sure as heck knew the grammatical and industry standards of the writing. And I did my best to understand the programs and hardware from the perspective of the people who would be using our products. But I sure as heck listened to the programmers, system and usability testers, customer representatives, marketing folks. and actual customers. Yeah, I read the specs and all. But I valued the opinion of those who say the product from other perspectives.

That's what I love about this site. I get so many different perspectives.

And the only ones I see dissed are the "breed because I feel like it" folks. And, as we and our three kids are all "fixed", having produced all of one grandchild, I'm a bit prejudiced there.

I'm so sad to see this... I have appreciated your input and learned things from reading some of the posts you have made. I hope you will reconsider, elsewise, I fear I'll feel compelled to leave also since my dog doesn't herd and I only live on an acre.

Barb, I hope you reconsider! Over the past few years that I've been on these boards, I have always enjoyed your practical, helpful and friendly posts.. Your leaving would be a real loss. I'm not sure what happened that you feel like enough is enough, but remember there are many of us here who don't want you to leave.

That email must have been very hurtful, Barb, so sorry.

Lots of people on this board don't do herding or live on farms, including me. That alone should not discourage you!

No matter what you decide, keep on enjoying your dogs, especially your puppy! :)

Hi Barb,

I don't post much, I prefer to just read the interesting things people have to share. Don't let things get to you, as long as you enjoy your dog and new pup thats what should matter.

Samantha

Really sorry to hear that - and I hope you reconsider

I dont live on a farm, I dont even have a full collie but I have learnt so much on here that has helped me with my dogs that I just would not put up with anyone making me feel I dont belong on here

Not everyone can or wants to work sheep - not every dog wants to work sheep - and working sheep does not automaticly make someone a better owner or the dog happier - I have seen many happy pet dogs and some truly miserable farm dogs - and of course vice versa

We don't know each other and I'm a new member. However let me ask a question. What does it matter what you do with your dogs? They're yours so do as you wish. Need support? That's why your a member of this forum. Please stay.

Hi Barb,

As someone who owns sheep and working border collies I am truly saddened that you have felt like a second-class citizen here. In all my time on this forum I think folks have strived really hard to make everyone feel welcome. It's even clearly stated in the "Read this First" information that this forum does not consider people who do not work their dogs to be second-class citizens. I know I've repeated that sentiment often when it comes up in threads, usually about breeding. I'm sorry that events or someone (or several someones) have made you feel the need to leave, and I hope you'll reconsider. But if not, I hope you continue to enjoy your dogs. Please don't let one unkind person color your vision of all of us.

J.

Like desertranger, I am new here, and don't know you. But I just want to say that no one can make you feel second-class unless you let them. I don't mean that to sound harsh, just that realize that there are many more border collies in the world than there are sheep who need to be herded. In the "old days," dogs who didn't herd were destroyed. Nowadays, they can be given good homes (hopefully) where they are much loved companions.

If you serve in that capacity, you are first class!

Barb, I sure hope you'll reconsider and stay. Don't let one person's opinion push you away. I value your posts a great deal.

Sometimes I skim through threads but whenever I see your name I stop and read completely whatever it is you have to say.

Many of us don't work our BCs. Heck, I'll bet some dogs here have never even seen a sheep. But, that doesn't make anybody or any dog less valuable.

Please stay, Barb. Take a little break if you need one but don't sign off forever.

Sorry to hear such a long time member has been made to feel this way.

Your first class in my book.

I can't say the same for someone who would e-mail something so negative to you to make you feel this way.

I hope you change you mind but in the event you don't I wish you the best of life and times and enjoyment with your Spirit.

I was looking forward to seeing him grow up, handsome little guy that he is.

Barb,

Don't leave. Stay. It will annoy the hell out of the person who was sent you that poison pen letter! :rolleyes: Some people are just rude and insensitive. Then there's the rest of us. :D

I just wanted to add that it might help if you just read posts but didn't actually reply for any given time. I find that has helped me in the last year or so. I get to connect with other BC owners who may or may not share my views and activities without allowing ANYONE to attack me. Sometimes I even type in the reply box but then just close the window without submitting it :rolleyes:

Also I bookmarked the gallery as the opening page of the boards, and when I feel I have time to read, I meander back over here to the general. I get what I want and I always feel good about it now :D

Happy Tails to you and yours.

Barb, I hope you stick around. I can always count on your posts for helpful insight and valuable advice. I think your poison PMer sounds like an idiot and a very insecure person with too much time on their hands.

I have become increasingly alarmed at how many longtime members and most knowledgeable folks are no longer coming around. I do see their names in the working stockdog section so it tells me that they just no longer have an interest in coming around the General section. I was looking at several older threads yesterday and was struck by the number of names who we no longer see. This makes me very sad, but it also makes me really appreciate the other "old timers" who do still come around and help out in the General section,patiently answering the same questions over and over, even when their advice is challenged or disregarded.

So, please don't leave, Barb, because then your name will become another one on the list of experienced folks that we miss.

Barb, it's sad you feel this way, especially after you've seen lots of things coming and going from this forum.

I belive the entire forum has changed, it's not as friendly and welcoming as it was 3 years ago when I joined in. Maybe there are still a few "experts" who are willing to offer advice, but what bothers me is that people with "medium" knowledge of the BC world feel like they cannot contribute anymore and are no longer replying to threads. It is getting SO boring to hear the same views over and over again, nothing new or exciting happening. I mean, these are dogs, once one knows everything about taking care of them, you're done, right? But there are so fewer happy threads where people share their discoveries or oppinons about something wierd or exciting their dog did.

I feel I am watching the same episodes over and over, with the same lines and actors. I miss the improvisation shows we used to put out for each others, those were fun times :rolleyes:

Barb, it's sad you feel this way, especially after you've seen lots of things coming and going from this forum.

I belive the entire forum has changed, it's not as friendly and welcoming as it was 3 years ago when I joined in. Maybe there are still a few "experts" who are willing to offer advice, but what bothers me is that people with "medium" knowledge of the BC world feel like they cannot contribute anymore and are no longer replying to threads. It is getting SO boring to hear the same views over and over again, nothing new or exciting happening. I mean, these are dogs, once one knows everything about taking care of them, you're done, right? But there are so fewer happy threads where people share their discoveries or oppinons about something wierd or exciting their dog did.

I feel I am watching the same episodes over and over, with the same lines and actors. I miss the improvisation shows we used to put out for each others, those were fun times :rolleyes:

So, she's not alone in her feelings. I've noticed in the last six month or so that the mood of the forum has changed, even from just a year ago, when I was so excited to find this site. Seems one wrong word can start a long, drawn out "debate", with name calling and hurt feelings. I'm appalled at the level of animosity that I read in the posts sometimes. I certainly don't join in as much as I used to, fearing some sort of tongue lashing--it's just not worth it. It's become more of a "read only" forum for me. It's sad because this place is a wealth of information and a place to share with like minded people, the awesome world of Border Collie ownership--the good, the not so good and the just plain wacky moments we've experienced over the years. Wonder what Eileen's take is on all the negative exchanges that seem to go on more and more frequently now.

Wonder what Eileen's take is on all the negative exchanges that seem to go on more and more frequently now.

I haven't noticed more "negativity" than ever lately. There have ALWAYS been threads that start intense discussions on this board. Inevitably, someone always gets their feelings hurt and there are always times when some posts turn to personal attacks. That is not new. I, for one, enjoy the intense discussions and try not to let nasty remarks bother me. The big discussions, IMO, are often when the most learning happens. I think that many times when new people come here they get their feelings hurt the first time the older board members challenge some of their long-held beliefs.

I do, however, understand why Barb is feeling the way she is. I do believe there are some folks here that do treat non-working bc owners like second class citizens, but they are few and far between. Most of the board members, working and non-working, are very welcoming. If someone has gone out of their way to privately chide Barb, then I agree with Jack & Co, that person has way too much time on their hands. I hope, Barb, that you will not let one obnoxious person drive you away.

I do agree with Anda, too, though. It seems like we are constantly discussing the same issues over and over, ad nauseum. We need some new material.