BC Boards

Your first bc

Just curious and had some questions. It'll still be a bit before I can jump into bc ownership. (I've been reading a lot, though)

So your first bc... How did it go and what was it like? How did you prepare?

I just thought I'd learn from those who've been there before.

Blaze is my first. He's only 10 months old -as you know :D.

How did it go and what was it like? How did you prepare?

I would say it's going well. Raising him, from time came home - now, wasn't too terribly hard. He's easier than the Beagle :rolleyes: I can't really answer that question much more, yet. Hehe

Preparation started, hmm, I'd say 2 years before I actually got him! I talked to Grace (Borderlicious) a TON about Border Collies, herding, etc. Which really got me interested along with the fact that around that time I started taking Lizzie to agility lessons with my trainer that had Border Collies. Much, much reading, researching, and talking to people later. . .my parents said I could get my first BC. :D

I have my first BC for the last 3 months . I was not really in touch with the needs of this breed so have had a lot of learning to do. Thankfully I have got a lot of help here. Have I any regrets, not one!! Meg is a joy to have . I had to learn to get used to her looking at me all the time even if we are just in from a walk. I needed to understand why when out and she sees other people and dogs she goes into a typical collie 'crouch'. She is a very bright dog and learns most things quickly but also can choose to forget if it does not suit her to obey. I think that in the time she has been living with me we have formed a good bond. Meg is very affectionate and a fun dog to have.

As I am retired I have lots of time to spend with her and she is seldom left alone. However I did need to leave her in kennels for a few days but she got on great.

As you know all owners and all dogs and their circumstances are different so I can only tell my experience. I love my Meg dearly and am so pleased a BC came to live with me.

Good luck when you make the decision.

So without getting into some of the more "scary" details, I'll share the most important thing for us that worked. :D Calm, consistent, leadership. I established a routine so that he would feel more secure about his day. There are clear expectations and they don't change. Though he tries.. :rolleyes: I do not yell or lose my cool in his presense. This is not because I never get mad. I just choose to remove myself or him, for his sake. He is very sensitive and in tune to tone, facial expressions, and body language..so if I freak out, he freaks out. Jedi is a "worrier" so I have to try to give the impression that nothing is as big a deal as he thinks it is. No worries! I also make sure he has some form of excercise and quick training on a daily basis. Hope this helps. Though border collies have some common traits, they still have their individual personalities. Good Luck!

Georgia

My first Border Collie was Megan, and lets just say it was many many moons ago, and I learned so much from her, and there wasn't anything she wouldn't do for me, I remember one time I was down at the creek and I had a cable across the creek that I use to tie the flood gate too, and if I wanted to go to the other side of the creek I would just hold on to the fence above and walk across the cable, My sister was down there with me and I went half way across and my sister said look at Megan and I turned around and she was actually walking the cable across the creek, and she went the whole way on the cable something I will never forget.

When I got introduced to her I went to an older gentleman in his 70's and told him I wanted one of his pups so we went out to where the sheep were he had at that time an he let out a whistle and out of the barn came the mom of the pup Megan I ended up with and he started whistling away and I watched as the mother was doing everything he wanted by just different whistles and I was so amazed I was hooked at that time.

And I can remember more than once she saved me from being trampled by Cattle and or attacked by Sow's piggin.

And from that time I have owned and raised Border Collies. And had several great dogs since then.

But I have to admit, she taught me more about livestock and working them and controling them than I ever realized.

Steve

My first border collie was Riley, who I adopted from the Humane Society 16 1/2 years ago when she was estimated to be between 10 mos to 1 year old. She was a stray and had no history. She was also my first dog after a lifetime (33 years) of having only scaley or very small furry pets (allergic family, small university apts, a marriage, brief move out of the country, divorce, finally a house and reasonably stable relationship :D ). I researched breeds and determined that I wanted a low-key, friendly dog and fully intended to get a golden or lab. Eeek. Made an immediate connection with Riley (named 'Flash' by the shelter staff), including having my picture taken with her leaning against my shoulder for the shelter calendar :D , and after admitting on the application form that I was 'mildly' allergic to dogs and having to peel over to my GP to get a note, and then being told that she was a border collie "you know what that means" by the interviewer (of course I did, I said, lying through my teeth), came home with her in the back seat of the car.

So, as you can see, I am the poster child for what NOT to do :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, buoyed by sheer panic and a new sense of responsibility, I read books, subscribed to an early version of this very Board, socialized and walked her every day, took obedience classes, made all the requisite first-dog mistakes (put her on her side and pinned her to 'dominate' -- she was a very soft dog and I needn't have done this -- I did it only once and regretted it immediately :D -- I think the New Skete monks might have advocated this -- and allowed her to be possessive about sticks and pushy with other females, not to mention a shameless hussy with males), taught her how to heel off-leash, to wait and sit at every intersection before crossing (these two things were critical to me since I had seen a dog hit and killed by a car), she learned to scan the landscape for groundhogs when I said, "Look! a groundhog", and would sit at attention in the passenger seat with me in my truck and put her paw on mine when I shifted gears. She learnt very quickly and was known through the neighbourhood as a very well-trained dog (and I, an excellent dog trainer -- she deserved this compliment WAY more than I since she was keen to do whatever I asked -- limited only by my inexperience and ignorance of her potential). She barked ferociously if anyone came to the door and I'm convinced kept us from being burgled when every last one of our immediate neighbours was broken into one summer.

Needless to say, I loved her more than anyone and anything, and luckily my partner knew this. She was everything and more of what I thought having a dog would be. So connected, responsive, adaptable and just a part of my soul. When she died, both my partner and I believed it may be our end as well. It took lots of counselling, friends, and the love of a new puppy, Skye, my second border collie, for us to recover from our loss and regain some joy and our own spirits back.

Ailsa

My first were these:

My first collies

The only reason I know Chris was half Border Collie is I met his mom. She was all Border Collie, but he grew up looking like a Lassie/Rin Tin Tin cross. He didn't act like a Border Collie either - very mellow, although smart and eager to please. Leila was all Border Collie, but we just assumed she was a dog. We didn't know we were supposed to be scared by her Bordercollieness. She had firm rules to live within, and it helped that Chris was still alive. In fact, she was 2 years old before she learned she didn't need to lift her leg to pee. For the rest of her life, she would 'mark' like a boy dog. We had a small house & yard, but we had two active kids who played with her for hours. She would pull her kibble out of the bowl and growl at it before eating. The neighborhood kids thought it was funny when she would join in the soccer games and 'herd' the ball. She would open the front door on command. We moved all over with the US Air Force, and she took it in stride.

5 years after her death, we missed the Border Collie intensity, so we eventually ended up with Black Jack the Pirate Pup. We've had him a little over 2 weeks, and are laughing over his Border Collie crouch, and his 'outrun' to swing the two older dogs. He's usually filthy from being rolled over in the dirt when 120 pounds of dogs doesn't turn on his command. When he looks up with that intense, "What's next?" gaze, we know we made the right decision.

My first border collie experience was so bad, I will spare the details in case I scare you off! But just wanted to say that your papillon is the cutest dang pup I've ever seen!

thanks! She really is a great little dog. I've only had her 10 months, but she's quickly become my best friend. Poor thing though doesn't know what I'm planning. :rolleyes: (I'm only halfway kidding, she lived four years with a bunch of other dogs so I think a 'friend' will be good for her)

Oh, and I want to hear the good and the bad. (I figure maybe I can at least learn from other experiences) I've been researching over a year but you just can't beat first hand stories. I'm enjoying hearing about everyone's bcs.

my parents said I could get my first BC.

Lol, at least your parents agreed, mine think I'm crazy for wanting a 'crazy hyperactive dog that has to herd sheep to be happy'. (That's a direct quote, I guess it's good I'm out of the house by now!)

Solo is my first Border Collie. He is the canine love of my life and the reason I am hooked on this breed. As for the specifics of "how it went," our history's been well-covered on these boards. Solo has taught me a lot. All I can say is that if you are determined, dedicated, consistent, and committed, you should have no problems whatsoever.

My first border collie came to me in 1983, I knew very little about the breed. This is before agility, animal planet, the internet etc. To this day, she was the best border collie I've had, no other border collie has been as close to me as her. She lived to 18, and lived very well to the end. We shared many years of working, playing, and just hanging out together, she taught me more then any other border collie since.

So, my first was a wonderful gift, I don't think she'll ever be replaced.

I've had many wonderful border collies since, not a bad one in the bunch, but my first was the very best.

Just curious and had some questions. It'll still be a bit before I can jump into bc ownership. (I've been reading a lot, though)

I just thought I'd learn from those who've been there before.

Fist BC- jumped at it got it out of the paper. Stupid me. Turned out to be my heart dog. My kids were old enough 8 & 10 - they loved the dog. Then, I thought, is it the dog or the breed? So, I got a purebred. Very good lines. Turned out it was the dog. BUT the first dog.......Usher is maybe the only dog that can fill her shoes.

After that I prepared. Crates, kennels, chew toys. I was in OR. so had tiny pebbled soft places where they could be left out and not muddy.

Obedience lessons- first on the plate. Crate training. Chew toys and Kong's. Socialization.

After you get your first BC, and it works out for you, I only wish you luck. Because you will NEVER be without 2 (at least) in your lifetime. I can not say how much they have enriched my life. Taken from obedience, to agility, to herding, to a service dog that does PT herding. I am so pleased with this breed, I could NEVER think of another.

What a wonderful thread. :D I am so enjoying reading about everyone's first BC!

My first Border Collie is the one I currently own. She was two years old this month and I found her on petfinder.org as a courtesy listing on a rescue's web site (that means she was still living at home.) How I came to decide to get her is a little different.

I had been in dogs for 30+ years...started with a Chihuahua...had GSDs most of my adult life (Had 12 GSDs in my lifetime: champions, obedience title holders, took some herding lessons, worked a little agility with one dog, bred a couple well-planned litters.) I taught obedience classes for over 25 years. Currently have a mixed breed. Always liked those Border Collies; enjoyed watching them in obedience. Thought once about having one, but my kids were little - I wasn't sure if it was the route to go, plus I still had a few GSDs.

Then, one day I was boarding a BC mix at my kennel. We were out playing, and I just became fascinated with her. So I went upstairs and started looking them up on the internet. Not that I wanted another dog, mind you. :rolleyes: Then I started corresponding with a few breeders...not that I was really interested, you see. :D Then I started checking the shelters thru petfinders.org -- just curious, you know. :D I had my own criteria: I really wanted a young dog (1 1/2 yrs. to be exact; my mix was that age when we got him and it worked out great.) I wanted a female; spayed; classic black and white (I just liked the look); and I wanted some sort of papers (just in case I wanted to do some sort of dog sport...not that I was really interested in that, you understand. :D ) All the denying I was doing finally came to an abrupt halt one morning when I went on petfinders and there she was: Female, spayed, 1 1/2 yrs., ABCA registered, and the classic black and white. One phone call to the owner, and a few days later she was mine.

It has been a fascinating experience. I am learning so much from her and we truly adore her. I am totally in awe of the breed and am beginning to believe I am a true Border Collie person at heart. :D

Fist BC- jumped at it got it out of the paper. Stupid me. Turned out to be my heart dog. My kids were old enough 8 & 10 - they loved the dog. Then, I thought, is it the dog or the breed? So, I got a purebred. Very good lines. Turned out it was the dog. BUT the first dog.......Usher is maybe the only dog that can fill her shoes.

After that I prepared. Crates, kennels, chew toys. I was in OR. so had tiny pebbled soft places where they could be left out and not muddy.

Obedience lessons- first on the plate. Crate training. Chew toys and Kong's. Socialization.

After you get your first BC, and it works out for you, I only wish you luck. Because you will NEVER be without 2 (at least) in your lifetime. I can not say how much they have enriched my life. Taken from obedience, to agility, to herding, to a service dog that does PT herding. I am so pleased with this breed, I could NEVER think of another.

My heart dog was out of the newspaper too. I picked her out when I was nine and did everything wrong, but she was amazing. She was a horrible dog on every level (I know that sounds bad) but she really was. She was a grump and moody and I adored everything about her. I definitely learned it wasn't the breed and her breed (sheltie) wasn't for me.

I hope I'm not *too* addicted. I already can't see myself without a (or more) papillon ever and eventually I'm going to have another GSD. I'm going to be the crazy dog person forever by the sounds of it. But that's fine with me.

Then, one day I was boarding a BC mix at my kennel. We were out playing, and I just became fascinated with her. So I went upstairs and started looking them up on the internet. Not that I wanted another dog, mind you. :rolleyes: Then I started corresponding with a few breeders...not that I was really interested, you see. :D Then I started checking the shelters thru petfinders.org -- just curious, you know. :D I had my own criteria: I really wanted a young dog (1 1/2 yrs. to be exact; my mix was that age when we got him and it worked out great.) I wanted a female; spayed; classic black and white (I just liked the look); and I wanted some sort of papers (just in case I wanted to do some sort of dog sport...not that I was really interested in that, you understand. :D ) All the denying I was doing finally came to an abrupt halt one morning when I went on petfinders and there she was: Female, spayed, 1 1/2 yrs., ABCA registered, and the classic black and white. One phone call to the owner, and a few days later she was mine.

It has been a fascinating experience. I am learning so much from her and we truly adore her. I am totally in awe of the breed and am beginning to believe I am a true Border Collie person at heart. :D

Haha, that's so funny!

I got 'hooked' when I started working in a rural shelter. We get bcs in all the time. I always enjoy the dogs we get and they quickly became my favorite breed to work with. I started researching a larger dog for the future (as a kid I was never allowed big dogs after our GSD and lab passed) I plugged in my mom's papillon only with a larger size and got Aussie on all the breed selector. Well, after being around aussies and bcs the bcs and I seem to get along a lot better. I would never have thought I would ever be interested in the breed. My experience prior to shelter and research and talking to good bc owners was one crazy bc my neighbors had and ignored and then seeing them at conformation shows. I thought they were very cookie cutter but I was very wrong. Turns out that's just conformation style bcs.

I probably am reading border collie stuff daily now. What is it? 'Welcome to the dark side'?

Blue was my first Border Collie and my "Heart Dog" . I was in an appartment and had a cat so had no intentions of getting a dog but my mother picked up this "cute little puppy" but within two weeks and sevaral pairs of shoes she was at her wits end on how to manage such a "handfull". So I took blue and yeah she ate her share of boots, shoes , books and even a bowl full of rum balls one night! LOL But we surived and she became the best darn friend one could ask for. A friendship that lasted 15 years and three months in fact. Sadly I had to see her off to rainbow bridge in November of 08 and miss my shadow every day. Blue was also the dog that showed me that Border Collies were everything I wanted in a companion.

I decided to pick up another pup 7 years ago to keep Blue an the family company so I added Tia to our Family. She is a springer Spaniel BC cross and is a lovable girl.

After blue left us I decided to add another BC puppy and located a breeder with a litter that was due in December. I picked a name out for her in Early December. As I mentioned my 1st BCs name was Blue so I figured in honour of Blue I would name the new addition Luna which also means Moon . Get it ? Blue Moon.

What was so funny is this . Luna came into this world on the of December 27th 2008 which also was a New Moon! I just noticed this last week.

Somethings are just meant to be I guess.

Here are a couple pics of Blue. One as a young lady who loved to chew shoes, books and boots, the other as a wise old girl who followed me from room to room till her last days with me.

post-9606-1231897822_thumb.jpg

My first was Lightning, a BC/lab mix that I got 4 years ago. Growing up my family had a Kerry Blue Terrier, then in high school I got two collies. After the collies it was two great danes plus another collie (Noah). We lost one dane to torsion and the other had health issues that meant she was not going to have a very long life. I thought to myself, really Noah is such a great dog, he's all I need. I'll be back to just one dog and that will be okay. Then we got Lightning and WOW! He introduced me to a whole new world. I've had a lot of really good dogs that I've really loved but there is just no comparison between them and Lightning, it's like he just raised the bar several notches. Loving his intensity, heart and great desire to please me of course I had to have more. Along came a couple more mixbreeds (Flash and Thunder) that were listed as BC mixes on petfinder, then Rain and Storm (BC), then Flurry (BC) and most recently Dru (also BC). You see where this is going? They're addictive!

I've also told the whole story before, so I'll just give the nutshell version.

We got a pound mutt and a year later decided to get another dog. I saw a Border Collie in a pet store who looked just like our dog and I decided I had to have one.

My husband found a breeder and off we went and got our puppy. No research. No prep. No nothing.

He was a good puppy. Typical puppy stuff, of course, but the sweetest bundle of love I've ever known. After we had purchased him I researched and found out exactly what Border Collies are and what I might be in for, but he really wasn't any more difficult than any puppy would be.

He was, however, pathologically fearful and too easily stimulated. I ended up getting into dog training and dog sports because of him. I'm teaching classes to help reactive and fearful dogs and dogs with focus issues. He has taken me places I never dreamed of.

Of course I wouldn't recommend that anyone impulse purchase a Border Collie puppy without doing research and preparation, but in our case it was a perfect match. Speedy and I were meant for each other and I am deeply grateful that we have him.

We later adopted another Border Collie mix and another Border Collie. Our fourth dog, and second Border Collie, was given up to rescue because his original owners impulse purchased a working bred Border Collie puppy without doing research and preparation. Well, it wasn't such a match made in heaven for them.

Speedy and I were more than lucky.

Cressa is my first border collie. I got Cressa shorty after my poodle died. My poodle was just awesome. Training her was easy. She just picked up on thing. She was a thinker not a reactor. I knew I could trust her with my life. My friend had taken her to a park where she had gotten "loose" and played deaf and ultimately ended up getting hit by a car.

At the time my sister had gotten a border collie pup(part of the reason the poodle got "loose"). He was the easiest puppy in the world to train. He LIVED to please us. I wasn't kidding when I said at 3 months old he was doing sit stays for 10min. He LOVED to make us smile and laugh. Almost everyone that meets Conner still falls in love with him. My only other experience was Callie my mom neurotic border collie but I figure she was neurotic because of the situation she was in.

I missed having a companion and it didn't help when you kept on getting exposed to what a wonderful breed the border collie is :D *poke Conner. So I went out and got my first border collie thru a newspaper ad. Cressa was everything Conner wasn't. Cressa could care less what people wanted or thought. It was HER life and SHE was going to live it how SHE wanted. It didn't help matter that Cressa has a HIGH DRIVE err HIGH PREY DRIVE or that she was noise/movement sensitive. She also hated abnormal things(kids,jumping, skipping, hats, mask, baby-gates,etc). After having dealt with Callie I knew border collies needed jobs. So we started agility. Which Cressa also hated for the first 6 or more months. It wasn't till we started competing that Cressa realized that agility was FUN. It was WORK! After all that me and Cressa just click. Most people after watching us play/work agility would never guess Cressa hated humans or agility as a pup. :D I know why sheep move after being on the recieving end.

IMG_0017-1.jpg

To be honest, I was tempted to give Cressa up to rescue but decided to stick it thru. I had never dealt with a puppy that careless what humans thought or wanted. :rolleyes::D Of course now I love that trait. The independent self thinking kind of trait.

Stella

Daisy is my first, but I had always had dogs. To make a long story short, my best friend/room mate at the time WANTED a dog. I missed having a dog around, so I thought it would be a good idea. She insisted she pick out the dog. I did make stipulations though, I knew (best friend or not) I would end up with the dog at the end of the day. I had to make sure it would be one I wouldn't sit on and kill. I don't know how many breeds she named off until she found a litter of bc/malamute crosses. I thought, hmm ok, a farm dog. Can't be that hard.

Boy was I wrong. So, one high strung, jittery, somewhat unreliable room mate + one stupid, holier than thou, possibly abusive room mate = nightmare puppy. I didn't know what to do with her. She actually had me in tears a couple of times. I started reading everything I could and trying my hardest to do right by my dog. Bad room mate moved out, and Daisy's attitude changed almost over night. Looking back, I did do so much wrong, but there isn't much I can do about it now, just move forward. She's 4 now and we are progressing by leaps and bounds with her reactivity issues. I've never had a dog quite like her. She follows me everywhere, has this incredible intelligence in her eyes and will do anything I ask her to do. Nothing like the dogs I had growing up. Even tough she's given me a run for my money, I couldn't imagine not having her! I am pretty sure I will get another one, a lot of border collies show up in shelters after stampede week, so we'll see what happens!

My first bc mix may have been in the mid 80's I got him from a free ad and lost him in my divorce. My inlaws took him. He was a good dog but, not an apt dog for a working 20 year old. That poor dog. I had him properly vetted and stuff but, he really didnt get the exercise he deserved.

My next Bc was when I was 26. I had just bought my house and again answered a free ad for Mini collie pups?? The litter had a bunch of different dads and mom was a bc high mix too. Kirby was later in his life declared to look the most body type like a bc my vet had ever seen without any real white. He did have a very thin head for one with dangle ears. But, physically he was all Bc. That dog was noted to be the fastest dog anyone around had ever seen. He could turn on a dime. I wish I had agility available to me before he passed in 2005. He was also the dog they wrote, So you think you want a bc about. He chased cars and bikes if he got out, he ran away every chance he could with all the expected expensive consequences. I always wish I had radio fence for him but, my husband still swears he would have ran right through it anyway. I have it now for 4 well behaved dogs.lol

He was diagnosed with oral melanoma in June and I took him home for a bit untill i coudl settle putting him to sleep. I had to make it about a week though as my vet felt the tumor would bleed out. I still tear up 3 and a 1/2 years later about him.

So now I have Dal purchased as a 7 month old from a working farm with 1 working parent.

Maddie purchased as a pup with one working parent same farm. They have different moms. The dad is the nonworker.

Genie rescued from a shelter 2 days before giving birth most lkely a high mix of BC or aussie 3/4ths tail.

Sugar, Genies pup soon to be 2 genetic testing still pending. most likely BC and aussie mix.

My first BC was Casey. My mom told my dad that she either wanted a 3 kid or a puppy. So I guess in a sense Casey was my sister! I was 9 and my brother was 7 when we went to a farm to pick out a pup. She was the runt of the litter - my brother was attracted to the smallest one. :rolleyes: She was a wonderful dog and adapted to suburban life. She never ate high quality food, wasn't really formally tranined, and didn't do anything like herd or agility. She was just a pet. She was a wonderful, gentle, and loving pet to our family. We had her put to sleep in May of 2004 when she was 14.5 years old.

While Casey wasn't really mine, she was really all of ours, Daisy is mine. She is my first dog of my own. I got her at 12 weeks old in June of 2008. I knew I wanted a BC of my own eventually. She has been such a joy in my life. But she does consume most of my disposable income and free time. But I'm ok with that! :D We have so much fun.

So I guess in a sense Casey was my sister!

I grew up with a BCx who was just a few months older than me, and in some senses he was the older sibling, who took great pains to protect me and teach me how to behave with dogs. It's almost 50 years since he was PTS (thrombosis), but I am still discovering sides of me that I owe to growing up with him.

My first BC I did not know was a BC.

I had her 10 years ago. My then-partner picked up an injured dog on the highway and brought her home. We didn't know what kind of dog she was; she was mostly white with red ears. I had a bad attitude toward Border Collies back then; thought I'd never want to have one. Cheyenne was beautiful and brilliant and learned her training at lightning speed. She was a wonderful dog. She looked like a BC, but I thought she couldn't be one because she was not black-and-white. ( O deeply ignorant me).

After I had had her for almost a year, I was house-sitting and turned on the TV due to boredom. Normally I never watch TV. As the TV came on, there was a BC coming through weave poles right at me. I was rivited. I'd never heard of agility. My mouth just hung open, watching the performance of those magnificent Border Collies, and at the end of the show I thought to myself: "I have got to have one of those dogs". Just then Cheyenne walked into the room, and I looked at her and thought "Oh my gosh. I HAVE one of those dogs!"

That was it. I have been completely hooked on Border Collies ever since. I now have two: Jester and Kit. Jester has been with me over 5 years now, and Kit just wormed her way into my life last spring. I wouldn't want to imagine my life without them.

:-)

D'Elle