BC Boards

We made it!

Ooky

Odin is now 28 days out from an OCD surgery :D

For those not familiar with the story or condition, he had to have major orthopedic surgery on his shoulder to repair a really messed-up shoulder joint. He was basically staggering at times before the surgery. He has not visibly limped once since the surgery. Surgery techs claimed from the very beginning he didn't even act like he knew he'd had it. I saw it differently - I think the pain of the lesion and floating bone was so bad compared to the aftersting of surgery, he was simply elated and relieved.

This means we are officially off the no-jumping, no-running, no-roughhousing, no-stairs orders. Yay and hurrah, o frabjous day, sez Odin :D This has been going on since September. For months 6 through 9 of his life he has had progressively stricter and stricter control of his physicality, having running and roughhousing taken away, walks shortened or even foregone. No ball, no frisbee. Later, no tug either. Then, we got really tough after the surgery. HE felt better, but was condemned to crates for 18-24 hours a day. No going to work, careful leash walks outside to potty. But he got his neighborhood walks back, now regular as clockwork because they were rehab walks, and allowed. He lived for them, and I added another block every couple of days. Now he is up to walking 2 miles in a day and still no limp. Not even after-nap stiffness.

So he returned to work yesterday (early, I know). You've never seen a happier dog than when he saw me get the leash along with my morning coffee and backpack. And he got loads of attention. My coworker (who is deeply and madly in love with him) took him Xmas shopping and got him the large Jolly Ball. He only got to play with it for 5 minutes today but I have to say, he's never been more gonzo. And I just beamed, watching him actually use his body again rather than getting all freaked out feeling about it. He uses both legs equally to manipulate the ball, and had that I'm-a-thrilled-border-collie look on his face when he was done.

So many days I didn't think we'd make it, me a 1st time dog owner trying to control an 8 month old BC on crate rest/rehab. But if anything we are closer, and through all of this he has never been the least bit surly or resentful, which shows me something about his amazingly sweet nature. Now I get to slowly increase what he's allowed to do, and I can't wait. He is going to have so much fun. Happy 9 month birthday (actually was monday) and 4-week post surgery day, Odin. :rolleyes:

Here he was the day before the surgery - he had been on a walk and was in some pain. I will get out with the camera today and post an "after picture" later, his elation is wonderful to see and it's obvious he just feels *good*. Thanks for letting me share.

3080260526_9054003927.jpg

But he got his neighborhood walks back, now regular as clockwork because they were rehab walks, and allowed. He lived for them...

Senneca thinks that her morning neighborhood walk is the most exciting part of the day -- and she has never been confined to crate rest.

Good to read that Odin is getting back to normal. Looking forward to the "after" photos.

Glad to hear things are so good. That picture could be my Meg , incredible ressemblance.

Yay and hurrah, o frabjous day, sez Odin :rolleyes:

Ditto :D

Great news! I knew you guys could do it and even better that you are noticing such a difference in his well-being and movement.

All the very best from Skye-dog and me.

Happy Odin photo pleez....

Ailsa

:rolleyes: Thanks guys.

Are there any activities he's permanently banned from?

I don't know! We'll be careful and see how he does. I'm definitely going to try herding when he's conditioned again, and we'll start agility classes in the late spring. I plan to watch him and ease up if it appears to be giving him trouble.

Here are the promised "after" pictures:

Going on our daily rehab walk

3116366099_08e307c09e.jpg

Getting some muscles back on that leg (and fur, too)

3116366497_22e7b757d1.jpg

3117195236_a235552b83.jpg

We played around in the median strip "dog park"

3116369615_1bd50893c4.jpg

And when we got back we still felt plenty good enough for this:

3116361489_eacd406a2a.jpg

Oooo, give me that jollyball...

3116381577_02e610736e.jpg

I'm so patient!

3117198968_a65c9d7275.jpg

Wheeee!

3116375051_e72711a6f6.jpg

See ya!

3117192816_db3a69f339.jpg

See ya!

3117192816_db3a69f339.jpg

:rolleyes:

Clearly there's no problem levitating!

Good luck with the re-conditioning...I'll bet he'll be awesome in terms of obedience now that he's been so focussed on paying attention to your every command.

Happy pain-free Christmas Odin :D

Ailsa

That's wonderful! I went through the same thing for 2 month with my lab when the first vet diagnosed him with OCD - turned out it wasn't. I am now going through something similar with my BC, in the last 3 months (not as strict as you had to be) and it's miserable... I am so glad surgery was a success and he is doing well! He looks so happy in the photos :rolleyes: