BC Boards

Toby

Lil Toby bolted from the front door to follow by grandson across the street and into the woods. Before my grandson could get to him or us to him two trucks came by and he ran right into them. I yelled to my grandson to get him up here to the truck while I got dressed to go to the vets, but he was gone by the time my grandson got him up here. The trucks never slowed, much less stop. My 9yr old granddaughter, to whom Toby really belonged to, was hysterical. She saw the whole thing. If he would have just followed my grandson into the woods, or if the kids wouldn't have let him slip out, or if he just would have listened when I called him. He had NEVER even attempted to go down to the road before, but he was following my grandson. I didn't know there was a prob till I heard all the kids yelling for him. This poor lil guy had it so rough in the beginning of his life, and he was settling in so nice to family life. And he was so good with the grandkids. He insisted on sleeping with my granddaughter every night. I am just so tore up about this. One slip, one mistake, and he had to pay for it with his short, sweet life. He was the happiest dog I had ever seen. He always looked like he had a big grin on his face.

RIP lil Toby

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, poor little Toby! My heart goes out to you and your family, Linda: what a tragedy! This is such a hard lesson for children: I think your granddaughter is going to be grieving for a long time. Be sure she learns that there doesn't need to be BLAME assigned to anyone: it wasn't your grandson's fault. Hugs to all.

I don't believe it matters much how long a life is, all that counts is that he was happy during the last part of his life. But I feel so horrible for your granddaughter, and maybe most of all for your grandson. I screw up but it's never come to that. I hope he finds comfort somewhere. They'll both be in my thoughts.

Linda,

That really sucks,I am really sorry to hear such sad news.

Its similiar to how i lost Lightfoot,The little girl across the road who loved him dearly called him one morning while she was waiting for the bus,His recall was good but when it came to her he just would not respond and headed up the driveway and across the road to see her, young kid (19 or 20) was flying down the road about 60 plus because he was late getting to the feedlot to work. Lightfoot never knew what hit him,but the pisser was the kid never even slowed down. (I dealt with him later)

The good that came of it was we did manage to petition everyone on the road and got our speed limits posted and now enforced.

It was sooo sad though,,Lightfoot was one of those rare dogs that just brightened up the day having him around.

I know what your going through and you have my heart felt sympathy as do your grandchildren.

Be sure to give them big hugs and help each other deal with the loss.

RIP Toby

I'm so very sorry to hear that, Linda - what a horrible thing for you all. Such a hard lesson in life for the kids - please give them hugs from us. And help them cherish the improved quality of life Toby had with you guys, and their good memories of him.

Very sorry to hear this, Linda. When I was quite young, I opened a neighbor's door only to have their Boxer slip out and run to chase a cat. She was hit by a car as she dashed across the street. It was only a few seconds, and not intentional on my childhood part, but she was lost and we grieved for her.

As when my dear Skye was killed, it sounds like Tobie did not suffer. I hope he didn't.