BC Boards

The origin of your username/display name

Mine is pretty self explanatory too - - I live on 2 acres at the base of Mt. Rainier in Washington and one of my best friends is a Scot - - and constantly uses the word lassie for all us girls!

This was a great idea - - fun to find out the origins!

Maggie, Tess and Roz

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>>Deltabluez Tess is the name of Diane's dog Tess, the one that was registered on merit with ABCA.<<<

Right on. Her other name is Monkey!! She uses her paws to open lids, doors etc.....

DeltaBluez is the name of our kennel and my spouse is a musician from the South and plays blues so we used DeltaBluez in honor of his music and Tess in honor of Tess and so our Farm/Kennel was born------> DeltaBluez Tess.....for the little dog with the biggest heart.

She is our foundation stock. In addition, God gave us this little gal....our child, just with four legs instead of two and we are blessed with her.

She just turned 8 last month and times sure flies....her muzzle is white, white in her ears, on her flanks but she is still spry.

Diane

Great idea for a thread.

Mine is actually my knickname growing up. You know how people go up to babies and tickle them under their chin and say kitchy-kitchy coo? (or something similar...) Anyway, ever since I was just a little tot, that used to send me into fits of giggles, until I only needed to hear "Kitch" and I would get that great belly laugh that toddlers sometimes have. The name stuck and was pretty much the only thing I was called growing up. Unfortunately, no one really uses it anymore (The only person who calls me that now is one of my brother's friends, but I think that is because he honestly doesn't know my real name... :rolleyes: )

Anyway, I still like it and use it for my screen name.

Guest JoeysMom

Mine is also a no-brainer; I'm Joey's Mom, and thankful for it. This was a really great idea for a thread. Diane (DeltaBluezTess), what you wrote is touching. Isn't it amazing how much these souls impact our lives and make our worlds better? We can only hope (and do our best) to do the same.

MARM:

Midnight

Arwen

Raelin

Mabel

Midnight= australian kelpie/chow mix- passed away 8/8/05

Arwen= husky/shepherd mix- almost 5 years

Raelin= black cat, unknown age, approximately 1.5 years

Mabel= mostly BC- 10 months tomorrow

no big mystery once it's explained! :cool:

ladylupin--I agree with you! He is one of the best. ^^;

marm--I like your name mostly because that's a term they use in the Redwall series.

Kat's Dogs--That's my mom's doggie. ^^

prosperia--Probably. Sorta like that...a small mustache and squarish goatie combination...like Chris from NSYNC used to have about 5 years ago. Yes, I'm pathetic....XD

It is amazing to see how simple they all really are (well, most of them anyway). Some of the really strange sounding ones are really the most un-strange once you know what they are for! Pretty cool.

Lladylupin, yeah Lupin is good - but "Snuffles" is the best. He can become a real DOG! :rolleyes:

My screen name is Dancing Lizard, and the name of my business as an artist is Dancing Lizard Designs. On a chat board I used to frequent a lot I sign on as Dancing Lizard, but of course everyone soon referred to me as DL. When they met me in person, they still called me DL. It struck me one day that DL could be spelled D'Elle. So there is is!

Honestly, I don't remember.

I usually use one of these as a screen name:

sammie (In honor of Sammie, who was the first of our dogs)

ShoelessK (I deplore wearing shoes)

Speed Racer (A play on Speedy and the fact that I'm a NASCAR race fan)

Root Beer was a whim and I can't really remember what the whim was. I've though to change it, but nobody would know who I was if I did.

Hector is a nickname from my college days. It originated from a humorous song I used to sing at Friday night beer parties. The song was about a man named Hector and pretty soon people started calling me Hector. I have been known as Hector to my friends for over 40 years now.

Kristine, glad to know another "shoeless" person! IF I do have to wear shoes, is the minimum I can get away with! IE, flip flops! I remember back in the '60s my mom started wearing shoes all the time. I asked her about it and she said, I don't want anyone mistaking me for a hippie! I laughed and told her no one would ever mistake her for a hippie! That only lasted a short while, she went back to shoeless! :rolleyes:

A combination of chaotic, yet entertaining thoughts from an overworked mind:

Steerforth - a character from Dickens (I love Dickens) and while I was going through of phase of needing to escape to the sea --- "sally forth to the sea" - Sea4th was born My little Sea girl---Seehund, being born about the same time, sort of clinched it. She bears the name of my escape to the sea phase---and it fits her---my sea dog---See hund.

A few phases since, I am in a whole 'nother phase now. It's anyone's guess what will come of this one. :0))

• 3 years later...

I stumbled on this older thread while looking for something else and thought it might be fun to bring it back to the top of the list....I really didn't give much thought to a screen identity when I registered, being under the influence of a great deal of pain medication at the time - this is the only discussion board I've ever joined and it didn't sink in that I would be permanently publicly personified as "ejano" which is the first letter of my first name - Elizabeth and the first four letters of my last name...

If I had given it some thought, I might have chosen something like "Wordsmith", because I am a writer...but there's no going back now, I suppose...

Liz

My ex signed up with njnovice when we first got Mick. We shared the account, and then I got it, since I actually kept Mick. Not sure where the other dog ended up. Hopefully with somebody nice.

I'm over on Pit Bull Chat as Sinead's Mom, and that's about the only other message board I post on these days. I got burned out on/banned from various political boards, and I barely even check in on the forum I admin, but the inmates seem to be running the asylum quite peacefully over there.

I use Jackie007 sometimes as a handle, which is oh so creatively my first name and I like James Bond.

I see fooshuman as foosh man, guess I left off the "u".

It's funny I see things so quickly sometimes I don't really see the whole name so it turns into something totally different in my brain and there's no one here to tell me different so it stays a few letters off!

RDM for the longest time I thought it meant Real Damn Mad. then you became Red mmmm

PSimtty...I sure think of PDitty when I see your name!

Black Watch Deba is all I see on my screen. So it's always been blackwatch delta...don't ask I don't know where that one came from!

I don't think I read many as what they are meant to be.

I wanted BCNEWE when I frist signed on (B C N YOU as I'm sure you know) but that was taken and way back when I signed up for a hot mail account it was taken to so I became bcnewe2 cause i lost my originality quickly! I've always wanted a licence plate that said the same but way to cheap to buy it!

There are lots more names that I"m sure I butcher but I sorta like my wrong names, makes you guys that much more original to me!

I've noticed that the older i get the less I read correctly, I'll see a sign driving and in my mind it'll say something totally different than what it really says...I think it's a age thing...but guess it could be me! Hopefully I get the speed signs right or the cop has a sence of humor!

I've noticed that the older i get the less I read correctly, I'll see a sign driving and in my mind it'll say something totally different than what it really says...I think it's a age thing...but guess it could be me! Hopefully I get the speed signs right or the cop has a sence of humor!

I thought those signs were just suggestions. I seriously misread signs all the time. My head seems to turn them into funnier things than they really are, usually. I can't blame it on age, so I tend to chalk it up to the ridiculous amount of brain cells I probably killed between 18 and 22.

What a fun thread to resurrect!

I chose "Alchemist" (originally for another forum - a knitting one I think) because I'm an environmental chemist. That really means I'm not a "real" chemist; people who study the environmental chemistry of water rarely have their PhDs in chemistry. (Environmental chemists with PhDs in Chemistry almost always do atmospheric chemistry; water is far too messy). What this means is that I have no degrees whatsoever in chemistry. My PhD, for example, was in a department of civil engineering (just don't ever ask me anything about concrete!), and my PhD advisor had his own PhD in chemical oceanography (but got incredibly seasick, which is how he ended up in a civil engineering department). I guess that makes me a charlatan.

It's meant that I'm a bit "betwixt and between" - somewhere in between being a scientist and being an engineer. I get disparaged by both groups. So there was some appeal in labeling myself as an "alchemist": someone who's not a real chemist but who has pretensions of such.

I also selected this screen name to remind myself to retain a sense of humility. One of my first students (who had an undergraduate degree in chemistry) was struggling to write a balanced chemical reaction pertaining to the system she'd been studying for her master's. I was trying to encourage her to establish intellectual "ownership", with little success, and had asked her to write down the reaction in question. I tried to tell her that the equation didn't seem balanced. This didn't help. I then told her that carbon on one side looked like it was being converted to chlorine on the other. She was still struggling. I, sadly, lost patience (she'd been studying this very reaction for more than a year), and told her that to me it looked more like alchemy than like chemistry. "How should I know," she snapped, "I never studied alchemy in college".

Ouch.

I try harder now to be a gentler mentor. Reminding myself that I'm merely an "alchemist" helps.

ETA: this is also why my avatar has a "buckeyball" in his possession. I know most of you think it's a "Holey Roller", but to me it's a molecule of what's also known as "buckminsterfullerene", very popular in the nanotechnology crowd. It's his favorite toy, but when people come to my office and my pup presents them with one, they invariably crack up. It's a nerd joke, goes along with the "Periodic Table" placemat beneath his water bowl.