BC Boards

The origin of your username/display name

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me, too!

@ejano, you can change your display name, but I don't actually remember how I did it and couldn't find it in the control panel. Maybe you can't anymore--you could PM Eileen and ask her, I suppose.

I always thought Laurae (Laur-Ray) was such a pretty name, LOL! Never occurred to me that it was Laura E!

Soda-Pop is my dog's name. She came with it and I thought it was really cute and appropriate so I kept it. I got a couple of PM's when I first signed up asking it was from The Outsiders, which I confess, I've never seen! I should watch it. I think it's one of those essential pieces of the movie watcher's wardrobe.

So, out of desperation, I pullled from my family tree and named Lewie after my maternal great-great grandfather, Lewis Hansen. I don't know if Granddad would have been pleased or insulted to have a dog named after him, but it works for me.

When I first got Kit, I named her Pearl (Pitiful Pearl) in referenced to the little orphan girl character from the movie "Night of the Hunter". She was so forlorn when I saw her in the the shelter, she could barely muster the vitality needed to lift her head from her paws to lick my hand :D Of course, from the moment I brought her home, she was a tornado :rolleyes: (Forehead slap--she was depressed in the shelter).

Anyway, it also happens that my grandmother's name was Pearl. So one day a couple of weeks later, I was talking to my mother on the telephone and when I mentioned Kit, she pleaded "please don't name her Pearl, that was my mother's name". I started to explain that the reference was totally different but before I finished, I capitulated and agreed to change it--it really didn't fit her now anyway, since Kit has a perpetual smile on her face.

Mine is fairly simple... My initials SS and Cressa(my 1st border collie and 1st agility dog and heart dog). On some boards I am SS Tressa (which is just Troy and Cressa combine) But mainly I am just SSCressa. WHich is also part of my email address.

My real name is Stella.

Soda-Pop is my dog's name. She came with it and I thought it was really cute and appropriate so I kept it. I got a couple of PM's when I first signed up asking it was from The Outsiders, which I confess, I've never seen! I should watch it. I think it's one of those essential pieces of the movie watcher's wardrobe.

It was actually pretty much required reading when I was a teenager (dating myself for sure). Read the novel if you can. I too always think of "The Outsiders" when I see the name Soda Pop. You just need a Ponyboy to go with her.

J.

It was actually pretty much required reading when I was a teenager (dating myself for sure). Read the novel if you can. I too always think of "The Outsiders" when I see the name Soda Pop. You just need a Ponyboy to go with her.

J.

Yeah well. I just want to see you done up as the Borg Queen... :rolleyes:

My screen name here is the handle I use in a lot of other places too, e.g. online Scrabble at the ISC site, the BC rescue site, etc. It comes from my neighborhood, which is La Jolla Shores.

I'm SO glad I'm not the only nerd who thinks Holey Rollers are buckyballs!

Me too! I'm a chemist as is DH, and they've never been anything but buckyballs to us! And the best indoor toy ever to Daisy & Juno.

The Outsiders is dated??

It was actually pretty much required reading when I was a teenager (dating myself for sure).

Not so much. My niece, entering 7th grade, had it on the summer reading list from her school! It's still a great book.

Technically, I have a BS is reproductive behavioural biology, but I love chemistry, so took a fair bit of it. I'll admit I'm not very good at it, it's just cool.

Granted, I'm a farmer & a baker. I supposed baking is really a lot of chemistry, but i'm not doing much with my degree. Sheep reproductive behaviour isn't so hard to figure out... :rolleyes:

Funny this thread just popped up again. I finally thought of an appropriate name for my farm this spring. When I was a little kid Mom thought Elizabeth was too formal, so she called me Dee Dee. I HATED it, but for my 10th birthday my friend surprised me with a custom made stable for my Breyer horses that said "DDFarms" on it. I tolerated it a little better after that, but soon refused to answer to anything but Liz. :rolleyes:

I finally gave in and decided on DD Farm, but the full name is Dangerous Dreams Farm after my favorite quote by T. E. Lawrence. So, the name plays homage to my childhood in many ways. My parents always encouraged me to dream big and do anything I wanted with my life.

But, my user name on these boards is currently Liz P because one day the Boards has a glitch and I couldn't sign in. I e-mailed Eileen and asked her to fix my account. The e-mail was signed "Liz P," so she just set up a new account with that as my user name. Lately I've been thinking about asking her to change it to Dangerous Dreamer.

Change is in the air for two of the several Liz's on the boards! :D Eileen is going to wonder what's going on...

(Do you ever wonder why parents give children perfectly good names, then shorten them...my mother thought that Elizabeth was too long for a little baby and suggested Elisa. I've got my cousin to thank for the first thirteen years of my life everyone instead called me Cissy....he couldn't pronounce Elisa and everyone thought "so cute..." Grrr.)

Funny this thread just popped up again. I finally thought of an appropriate name for my farm this spring. When I was a little kid Mom thought Elizabeth was too formal, so she called me Dee Dee. I HATED it, but for my 10th birthday my friend surprised me with a custom made stable for my Breyer horses that said "DDFarms" on it. I tolerated it a little better after that, but soon refused to answer to anything but Liz. :rolleyes:

I finally gave in and decided on DD Farm, but the full name is Dangerous Dreams Farm after my favorite quote by T. E. Lawrence. So, the name plays homage to my childhood in many ways. My parents always encouraged me to dream big and do anything I wanted with my life.

But, my user name on these boards is currently Liz P because one day the Boards has a glitch and I couldn't sign in. I e-mailed Eileen and asked her to fix my account. The e-mail was signed "Liz P," so she just set up a new account with that as my user name. Lately I've been thinking about asking her to change it to Dangerous Dreamer.

So just how many of us chemists are out here?

I was a chemistry major in college. After that I did two semesters of grad school in chemistry at Penn State, but then decided it wasn't my thing after all. So, I never worked in the field. I loved studying chemistry, but didn't care much for research.

I went off in a completely different direction after that. One of the few remnants of my chemistry days is that one of my generic nicknames for my dogs is "Buckyball".

J.

It was basically required reading amongst my HS friends, too.

Stay golden, Ponyboy.

Now I want to name a pet Ponyboy. Wouldn't be any stranger than having a cat named Strange...incidentally, she's turned out to be a freak cat...probably because I named her Strange.

Mine started out years ago as somewhereusa. If anyone knows me I drive cross country semi. Years ago I had a friend who was going through a hard time so I would occasionally send a silly gift through the mail and just put somewhereusa as a return address. One of the best stories is that the giver of the hard time lived at the same address. I had bought something in the Yukon and the storekeeper agreed to mail it for me. To get through customs without a hassle she marked it as used clothing. When the package arrived GOHT said "Who would be sending YOU used clothing?" Imagine her surprise when friend opened the box and there were a pair of brand new fur lined leather mittens like the Eskimos wear. After 911 the post office won't allow that anymore. During some long ago ISP change I had to change it to somewhereinusa, I can't believe someone in the WORLD had the nerve to take MY name.

Somewhere is different than anywhere and a whole lot better than nowhere.

Dick

It has been fun to read the stories behind the names.

I always imagined SSCressa as a sturdy little boat, a metaphorical boat...but a boat none the less.

Bn_here_b4 came about because I lost the password and locked myself out of my old hotmail account. It was CherrieJ. I finally quit trying to figure out how to get back in and decided to make a new name. Well, that wasn't going well as naming is a serious business for me. So the thought came - I've been here before, trying to name someone and unable to choose the name and move to the next step. Been here b4, unable to make up my mind...

I've used that name for more than ten years now.

Cherrie J

Here I (Mark Billadeau) am at home using our farm account.

After we move to MD with our first Border Collie, Duncan (purchased for a pet from Dick aka somewhereinusa), I tried working sheep with Duncan. This was facilitated by NCStarkey (small world ain't it). Renee and I both got into herding and we always thought that if the stock options from my company gained enough value we would purchase a farm. The stocks went up and we got our first farm which we had though was just a pipedream.

Mark

Hello everyone,

This thread is very interesting, and thanks to Mark for mentioning me and giving me an incentive to respond. My username is rather selfexplanatory, as it is my initials and last name.

Regards to all,

nancy

I guess I have to join the ranks of those folks who just used their names. We're a sad lot, aren't we? :rolleyes:

But I *am* the borg queen, and that should count for something. :D

ETA: For all you chemists who are also readers, I just read a book (gotten from the library) called "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie." The main character in the novel is an 11-year-old English girl named Flavia deLuce who discovered her great (great-great?) uncle's long-closed-up and -forgotten chemistry lab in his wing of their old country home and fell in love with chemistry (especially poisons) as a result of reading through his chemistry library and learning to use his lab equipment (she tends to use her knowledge to get revenge on her two older sisters for their abuse of her, the youngest). The book is a mystery, and the chemistry part is partly a side story, but I still found it enjoyable to read about the chemistry stuff she's learned. Anyway, I'm not a big mystery reader, but I did enjoy this one, partly because of the chemistry connection, so thought I'd mention it.

J.

Tum tee dum... My name is my name. Mostly because I don't get all the paranoia associated with trying to hide one's identity on the Internet. Oh yes, there are sharks out there, but having hooked me, they would find little meat for their wicked plans... I do have other names... Crocutamon - a combination of crocuta, Latin for hyena, and the suffix mon because at the time I coined the name I was watching Pokemon & Digimon VHS tapes. So - Crocutamon - Hyena-monster. I use it, appropriately enough in my e-mail address. And on Deviant Art, I am Hyena Woman.

Captain John Crocutamon is my pirate alter-ego, about whom I wrote a poem and of whom I did an illustration. (See below) I am passionately fond of Spotted Hyenas. They are the ultimate survivors. Most people can't abide them... another reason they are a favorite. :rolleyes:

post-10533-1281904945_thumb.jpg

Croaker John

Come listen here to a tale of fear; it’s worth at least a penny,

and pass it on to all your friends, (assuming you have any.)

His mates can call him Croaker John, but his mates are very few.

He's Captain John Crocutamon, nothing else, to the likes of you.

Now Croaker John likes a jest, he does. He dearly loves a jape.

And if you laugh and roar with him your life will be shipshape.

Now the captain's laugh is the queerest thing, a mix of giggle and squall.

But don't be afeared young sailor, he's a hyena, after all.

Another thing about his jokes, my fine and fair sea-rover,

if they're funny once, they're funny twice, and over and over and over.

So don't forget, me hearty, loose your laughter in a flood,

for if you don't give a great guffaw, the price will be your blood.

For though our dear old Croaker John has a laugh you'de call a boomer,

in some ways, (just 'twixt you and me,) he has no sense of humor.

He laughs and chuckles all day long as if his life's a lark,

but mayhap you put one foot wrong, he'll feed you to a shark.

The captain keeps a brindle hound, a fierce and surly tyke,

which trails him like his shadow, and her name is Marlin-spike.

She has a nose for mutiny and lads who shirk their duty,

and well she knows if a jack-tar's mind dwells on the captian's booty.

Beware her eye if she comes anigh and fixes it upon you.

Ill deeds she'll find deep in your mind, she'll know them afore you do.

If loyalty she finds in thee, with sharp fangs she’ll defend you.

But never forget; treat her like a pet, and she'll use those teeth to rend you.

Old Croaker John’s the master of a sloop called Nightingale.

In a swifter, trimmer craft my lad, you'll never hope to sail.

But you'de better be the captain's man if you step upon her deck,

and be quick and true and trusty if you value your young neck.

For our captain John Crocutamon and his canny Marlinspike

are a pair not to be trifled with, but this bargain they will strike:

Do your duty well, and laugh like hell at whatever John finds funny,

and you're bound to land in adventure grand and have pockets full of money.

02/09/04

GGB

Cool topic :rolleyes:

Mine's pretty simple. I primarally compete in agility with my BC girlie Kyla.

So AgileBC!

:D