BC Boards

BATHING YOUR BC

I just let Joy get hosed off, run thu the sprinkler or swim, while scrubbing her with Axe body wash :rolleyes: Not the 'best' for skin, and not feminine either, but it smells SOO good!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-6783-1178051341_thumb.jpgpost-6783-1178051367_thumb.jpg

Mine get a real bath every month because I use advantage multi the new one for heartworms and fleas etc. But they get wet almost every day in their pool, our pool, the hose or our pond. We are in sunny Florida and it gets hot!

Somehow Mac always looks clean even though he will get soaking wet and roll in the sand I swear he looks like a sugar coated jelly doughnut but then he shakes a :rolleyes: spotless once agian!

We hose them off when they get dirty and, on a farm with cattle and mud, they get dirty year-round, so they get a cold-water hosing year-round when it's needed. I only haul out the shampoo for something extremely stinky that hosing won't remove, like rolling in something dead or getting skunked.

They really do have teflon coats - most dirt just drops off pretty quickly when they dry or run in the long grass. In spite of (or maybe because of) the lack of baths, they are often complimented on shiny coats, with glossy black and bright white "trim".

Kessie: once in her life, and that was a fox poop emergency!

Kyla: never! Not yet. Cow pad season is coming around, though :rolleyes:

They get swims in the river almost every day during the summer, though!

What's up with rolling on the dead things? Bula rolls on dead mice and moles all the time!!

She got her first bath last week because she laid under the tractor and it was leaking kerosene so I felt that was necessary. Other than that she goes in the river as well!!

Great topic.

Guest Rockie's mum

The pictures are brilliant. The only time Rockie ever gets a bath is when he rolls in smelly stuff - he particularily likes horse dung...

As I said in an earlier post, Ouzo hasn't had a bath since November. When, after diving head first in dirt chasing a ball while being soaking wet from the river at the dog park, he looked like this:

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

And the bathtub after looked like this:

IMG_0059.jpg

And to realize the amazing dirt-proof coat he has, check this succession from last Saturday:

From this at 5.37 PM

IMG_0878.jpg

To this, half an hour later, while still at the dog park

IMG_0925.jpg

True, he did go through an aqward phase in between...

IMG_0919.jpg

My dogs get bathed when they're dirty, which is not very often because even if they get filthy it usually falls right off. Border Collies are made of Teflon.

They live in a studio apartment with beige wall-to-wall carpeting (NOT my idea) and are allowed on the furniture, so they probably do get bathed more often than your average Border Collie, once every 2-3 months I suppose, except for special occasions like the time Solo rolled on a diaper that someone threw into the bushes at the park. When they get bathed they get the full treatment in the shower with the handheld sprayer, shampoo, and a (cough) conditioner (Show Sheen-like product) spray afterward to keep them shiny.

Monthly, at least. And it isn't the groomer in me that makes me do it! It gets so dry here that Dakota's coat gets really staticky and dry, and clings to his skin. He needs to be soaped up occasionally to get the dust out. He's better lately since he's been spending all his time in the pool.

Eve has a teflon coat, nothing really gets her dirty. I have given her 2 real baths, both after she "bathed" herself in sheep crap.

Ripley the Papillon gets bathed weekly, 1.) because I enjoy torturing him and 2.) because he's a tiny lap/purse/bed warmer and needs to smell pretty.

Nykie gets a bath when needed or when she's going on a therapy visit. Since dogs must be extremely clean to do therapy visits, she has one every time she goes, which is once or twice a month. :rolleyes:

I usually just hose them off with water. Before PR events or when we have guests over, then I bath them with coconut flavor shampoo. There is no point washing them often. They get dirty pretty much everyday!

i'm growing more concerned of this rolling in poo and skunkin after reading all these posts. clover is no longer allowed in the front yard, because we just covered it with "top soil" to keep the grass green. i thought i ordered top soil but now the entire neighborhood reeks of sh/t. :rolleyes:

:D Hey sorry Anda if you have had a topic on this then before. :D Those photo's of Ouzo were great though, i love that end one with the tongue out - that's Holly - in after a good play session mode!! I will get some photo's put on here of her, just been to the beach again so i think i got some good ones.

I get commented on too Sue R about Holly's coat being so shiny and she does seem attracted to muck, it must be true that they sort of clean themselves. Once Holly's had a rub down with a towel and a good shake the dirt does just go. Although i have not yet had the poop rolling experience!! :D

It also seems Holly isn't alone with her love of water then, she loves the hose and the sea. :rolleyes:

Thanks all i am enjoying this topic. :D

Molly gets a bath when we think she smells.... one when we got her because she smelled pretty bad and one with sebacil when the vet thought she might have mange. poor pup.. she was pretty sick after it.

then the one i gave her a few weeks ago. my fault. i forgot the one field near here had recently gotten a dose of fertilizer made from biological wastes... lots of fish oil... and we walked through it.

i also have this idea that it is good for her to get a bath once in a while so she is used to it and it isn't a big deal if she ever really needs it.

if she gets into the horse manure it isn't such a big deal. we're both used to the smell of horse and she isn't allowed on the bed. but she doesn't seem to try to roll in it.. usually she just breaks it down to dust or eats some.

Macks had 2 baths since i got him 5 wks ago 1 flea treatment plus he was really smelly the second because my dh has been making a new front fence and had his power tools out saws ets and mack got covered in saw dust because dh forgot to use the dust bag for the saw! so mack was really itchy after rolling in it so i had to bath him poor pup . Apart from that when my dogs have had dirty paws bellys from running in mud etc i usually just sponge off and towel dry and only bath once or twice a year unless really smelly or dirty . I think mack will be getting a few hose downs in the summer though to help cool him off and he likes the hose so normally runs infront of it while cleaning the garden anyway.

So i guess wash when really dirty wipe down when just legs and tum . :rolleyes:

I'm embarrassed to say that ONCE a WEEK. Here in NC the dirt is red clay. Cody gets filthy outside and ends up looking like a red dog on the bottom, blackish-red on top. So pretty much each Sunday, after a weekend of dog parks, hiking, play, etc. he gets a quick hosing down, along with really gentle shampoo. He has learned to really like the baths, especially when I ahve to rub near the private parts! :rolleyes:

And his coat is really shiny, thick and glossy. My daughter calls it "Barbie hair" which is no relation to "Barbie Collies". His tail especially looks and feels like a Barbie doll's.

No itchy skin or dandruff.

post-6086-1178307964_thumb.jpg

I just generally give Achilles a bath when he needs it, or when he gets to dirty to brush/wipe it out. He sleeps on the bed with us so I gotta keep him pretty clean. If its nice and warm outside I'll hose him off on the back porch. If its dark out or its cold then I'll either bathe him in the tub or a few times I just put him in the shower with me. I have a "gentle" shampoo with a light scent that I use to get stubborn dirt out of his coat but I try to use the flea/tick shampoo stuff once a month.

"He has learned to really like the baths, especially when I ahve to rub near the private parts!"

Aw man I coulda' done without that. :rolleyes:

:D