BC Boards

BATHING YOUR BC

:rolleyes: So i was wondering how often people bath their BCs. Holly has only had 3 baths since we got her about 14months ago.

Her coat is always so shiney and healthy looking and i have had different views on this subject given to me. Some say you should bath regularly but most i have had said that they don't need many baths and not to often as it damages their protective coat.

She does get wet alot but that is in the sea!

Just wondered if any one had any views on this on here?, sorry if it is a topic that has been discussed before, i am still quite new.

Thankyou :D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dogs all get a bath about once a month, but that is largely because they sleep on my bed. Quinn is usually bathed after he goes to his sheep lessons, so he can get a couple baths a month, poor guy. Their coats all look great. I think there is a lot of leeway in frequency and what works for a particular dog/situation.

Great picture, Mark!!! The only time mine get hosed off, which is the only "bath" they ever get, is when they are green from rolling in fresh cowpies, like Mark's pic. But even then, it's just a quick hosing, no soap or anything. Most of the time they smell like cows. But I really like the smell of cows... :rolleyes: , and, yes, they sleep on the bed,

A

Scamp has had 3 proper baths.... he is 14 months old. That was because he was caped in brook muck on two occassion and the 3rd time had sticky sweets stuck to him from my youngest leaving them lying about!!!!

He always cleasns himself even when muddy... within an hour he is pure white again :rolleyes:

He also goes in the sea so gets wet then too.

We hose the dogs off when they look like the one in Mark's great picture (or even when they look at little less bad than that....)--bathing with shampoo, almost never (I think I've used shampoo on Pippin, the 3-year old, maybe three times, but I can only remember two). We believe fully in the border collie fairies, who seem to take care of everyday dirt and grim just fine. :rolleyes:

Quynn has been with me for three weeks and has had two proper baths - he got one the day after he came home, and another when he had an accident in his crate. The IGs get baths more often in the summer than in the winter, but I find if I bathe to often then their coats become dandruff-ridden and it breaks down the water-resistant oils that help keep them dry and warm in the winter. My dogs usually get baths simply when they are dirty, roll in deer poop, or just smell. :rolleyes:

Never. Well, that's not true. Maybe once a year or so. They swim a lot, in the ocean as well, and it does them no harm. Once a year a charity does a dog wash fundraiser and I take them there for a good scrubbing. Occasionally my neighbor takes my dogs hiking and then he likes to give them a bath afterward - more power to him. I have far better things to do with my time than wash dogs!

The have gotten hosed down when they get really muddy, but I don't consider that bathing, really.

RDM

I'm with RDM....they haven't had a 'real' bath yet although I've been lucky that we've avoided the skunks

Oh yeah, I make amendment for the skunk thing. They HAVE been bathed in toothpaste when they get skunked!

RDM

LOVE, LOVE Mark's pic! That could so easily be Mabel! She's a mud girl.

So, do we bathe Arwen and Mabel? ONLY when they look like Mark's pic. So, that makes about 2 times a year we need to really clean off the mud pie mess. Mabel does a good job of keeping her coat very clean. Arwen needs some help as she has heavy Husky fur. Bathing though is a trial and 1/2 for Arwen, and not fun! Mabel on the other hand is a water baby, and has already tried to jump into the waterfall at Petsmart, where we go for Obedience Classes. (and before you guys trash on that, our trainer is SO good!). Water= good fun for Mabel.

Rainy days and dogs= rinse off w/the hose in the backyard before they are allowed in the house, because they make a beeline for the new oriental rug in the living room! Do anyone else's dogs like to roll on the expensive carpet/rug?

i feel like i'm the odd one out..

i stay in a urban area and in an apt.. plus he jumps onto my bed every morning. so... i feel like i'm anal about keeping him clean after reading your posts.

:rolleyes:

i bathe mine at least once a month with shampoo.. and sometimes more when he goes trekking/hashing and turns up looking like this all of the time.

208054481_21f1d2873a.jpg

Mark

I bet you could have a dog wash there, and charge people a fee just to use that!!! I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!

Julie

Nothing like a good roll in skunk poop to lead to a bath (with shampoo).

They're not coming into the house that that perfume.

RDM, install one of these and you'll give up the hose.

IMG_0317.jpg

Mark

:rolleyes: You're all making me feel bad... I had Sam for 13 years and he only had two baths!!! He had a short coat and didn't roll in smelly stuff. I used to use a bucket of water and a chamois if he came back from the woods really filthy. He did love swimming and was in the loch most days so I suppose that helped.

Now Dale looks as if he's going to have a longer heavier coat so I'm afraid I'll have to buy some shampoo :D

I've only bathed mine twice since I've had them.

It took me so long to clear up their dry, itchy skin due to allergies, that I am loathe to bathe them unless they REALLY need it. Usually I just rinse or hose them off.

Right now they are swimming in the kiddie pool everyday anyhow...lol. :rolleyes:

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

Freck has only had one bath, i hosed her off last week...I dont count that. Why take a bath when she can run in the house and rub all the dirt off of her (on our bed)Great times! That picture is priceless!

That's not mud in Mark's pic. :rolleyes:

:D Dogs will be dogs? :D