BC Boards

My Old Buddy is Very Sick

Mary, I am so sorry for you. Your experience sounds so much like our old MacLeod at the end of his days. He was quite old, 15, and had been declining slowly but enjoying life for quite some time when he was diagnosed with advanced hemangiosarcoma. He had significant arthritis as well and the vet put him on Rimadyl which gave him a renewed and reinvigorated time in his last couple of weeks. He rallied all around for almost two weeks but then one day he just turned his back to us and that was it for him. He knew the time was come and we took him to the vet after a weekend of tending him (back then, we did not have after-hours vet service available to us so we had to wait).

Consider his recent few joyful days, especially yesterday, as a gift to both of you.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mary, I am so sorry for your loss. This makes me cry for you. My heart is sad for you at losing your best friend. As many have said before me, they always seem to let you know when it is time. Hopefully you can draw peace from knowing that you took the very best care of him you could and it was the kindest thing to do for him. Sending healing thoughts your way.

Teri

Mary, I am so sorry to hear about Buddy. It is evident that he was much loved and will be missed. We never have them with us long enough but they are also never really gone for they live in a piece of our hearts forever.

Run free at the bridge Buddy,

Oh, no!

I almost felt as if I'd met Buddy. He was a character and a half. You gave him the best life possible, and - as others have said - you gave him the gift of a merciful release when the time was right.

He gave you the gifts of unconditional love - and of giving you a warning that his time was coming, and finally that it was there.

Shedding tears now for you and Buddy. Run free, big guy!

Mary, I am so sorry for your loss. I have really enjoyed your stories of Buddy over the years, and often think about him when I'm trying to figure out how to make my dog or a dog I am in control of meet another dog appropriately (or ignore them!). You were clearly the best owner he could've ever asked for, and the two of you were the best of friends. It shone through in every story and anecdote you told about him. Thinking of you, Ooky and Odin