BC Boards

True confessions

-When I call home, I ask to speak to Spur. My father always says Spur is busy and can't come to the phone.

-I tell Maggie I love her every morning when I leave for work.

-I tell Maggie a story before I put her in her crate for the night. Its always the same story about the smartest little cowdog in the world who happens to also be named Maggie. She is allowed on my bed for her story.

-I bought a SUV so I could take Maggie and all her stuff to her herding lessons.

-I sometimes say herding instead of stockwork.

-I know people who compete in AKC herding events and I like them.

-Maggie has a little red Martha Stewart coat. And its reversable.

-People sometimes think she is a service dog because of her red coat and I don't correct them.

-She also has 2 matching pieces of luggage for her "stuff". She has more "stuff" than I do.

-She has her own scrapbook.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it bad that I have gotten so many ideas to do with my dogs from this thread?

Things I already do: I allow the dogs on the bed with me, when DH is at work :P I let the dogs go on the couch after playing outside. I still allow them to go outside the backdoor ahead of me.

Wait, there's more:

Each of my dogs, starting in childhood, has or had their own song that I sang to them. I remember every word.

We let Gibbs pay bite us, and shriek in dismay, crying out, "There's a border shark on the couch!" He lets us think that he loves it, too.

My mom, when I was a teenager, would make the two dogs and cat each their own bowl of hot oatmeal on winter mornings when my Dad was off hunting, and I swore I would never tell. Oops.

DH started calling me 'The Mom'. I initially hated it, but now I call him 'The Dad'.

Buzz always slept on my bed. I couldn't bribe or threaten Shonie up onto the bed, but Buzz always had to cuddle through the night.

I was just a tiny bit jealous that Buzz like saying hello to strangers more than he liked me.

I saw Buzz at the dog park, about a week after we put him to sleep. I'm pretty sure Sammie saw him, too.

Ack, allergies again!

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

OK maybe a couple more...

I call my dogs "my kids". And my sister and close friends their aunts and uncles. Even had my brother who thinks we are crazy call them our kids on accident. :)

And my dogs come everywhere with me and I sometimes pick restaurant that are dog friendly so they can come also. :)l

I was just a tiny bit jealous that Buzz like saying hello to strangers more than he liked me.

I saw Buzz at the dog park, about a week after we put him to sleep. I'm pretty sure Sammie saw him, too

Me too, Mick always likes strangers more than me unless I'm gone. At least my DH tells me that, maybe it's just to make me feel better.

And since Jazz has been gone I swear I hear her lone bark outside and going deaf Raven her oldest house mate hears it too. She always looks up from a nap right after I think I hear it.

Strange....

I love this thread and can relate to most of the stuff people have confessed too!

OK maybe a couple more...

I call my dogs "my kids". And my sister and close friends their aunts and uncles. Even had my brother who thinks we are crazy call them our kids on accident. :)

And my dogs come everywhere with me and I sometimes pick restaurant that are dog friendly so they can eat with me. :)

JJ was our first Border Collie. I was so happy about having an intelligent dog, he became overweight with all of the treats I fed him when teaching him obedience/tricks. (He lost the weight a long time ago.)

Our dogs are allowed to get dirty. More than once, I took JJ to an obedience class and made the statement “This is a good kind of dirty”. Even today my dogs don’t get bathed often enough.

My dogs don’t suffer from separation anxiety but I do.

Because I spend more time with the dogs than DH does, I save scrapes so he can feed them to the dogs when he gets home at night. Even though DH gives the dogs more treats than I do, he still has to coax Josie into eating her meals if he sets her food bowl down for me at feeding times. It secretly makes me feel good.

When I realized how thunderphobic Jake was, I coddled him. My thinking was is we were ever out anywhere and he heard a loud noise, I wanted him coming to me instead of running away. Thank goodness we’ve never had to test it.

I don’t howl or bark with my dogs. I talk to them as if they were human. They can understand my language better than I can understand theirs....way better. :)

I think my confession is the worst of all - border collies are not my favourite breed. :o Could be partly because the majority of people I know have one or several and most don't stand out as individuals to me. I've been desensitised through over exposure I suppose.

I don't dislike them and would probably have another because I'm getting too old to train another dog that needs a lot of motivating but I can't imagine myself without a hound type dog to melt my heart with its eyes.

I just like dogs in general though - they all have good, not so good and bad points.

few more:

-I rarly have Happy on a leash, and Gem is usually off leash as well, this includes in the city streets.

-after getting caught with my dogs off leash by AC 3 times, playing stupid and getting off with warnings I still walk my dogs off leash..but I licenced them simpley because my fine will be cheaper if I get caught again lol

-I love dogs, but only if they are females. once Rusty is gone no other male dog will ever be allowed to set foot in my house.

I'm pretty new to this board and I love this thread!!!

Our dog sleeps on our bed (and we like it).

I got a BC mix as a NOVICE DOG OWNER.

We live in a townhouse (with green space for excercise and me as an avid walker, and now dog agility, but no yard)

I'm not a great dog trainer and a worse husband trainer, so she begs a few bites of dinner from him.

Agility isn't always having fun with my dog. She didn't need to be an ass to that Aussie on Saturday (not fun).

Layla got scolded in public for being an ass to that Aussie.

Layla is welcome on the furniture (and we like it).

I get irritated with "good" dog people sometimes; like telling interrupting me working on "stay" with distractions in order to tell me that I need to enroll in another obedience class so I can work on "stay" with distractions.

I don't crate my dog, I know I'm going to hell for it, but not until I die at least.

I think my confession is the worst of all - border collies are not my favourite breed.

Shhh. Mine neither, although they are close. I really love my littles (Papillons), they have so many of the good parts of a Border Collie and they are so much easier in many ways. I like having a big dog too so there will always be a BC in my life.

I just like dogs in general though - they all have good, not so good and bad points.

Me too.

When I think there maybe an axe murderer in the back yard and I'm too afraid to look.... I send the dogs out to check first

We have a "no dogs on the bed" rule in my house, my Cattle dog has learned that as soon as "daddy" closes the front door for work she is free to sleep in his spot.

I love training with shaping, but at times I become impatient an lure my dogs during training.

I love all of my dogs... But I do have a clear favorite and sometimes spoil her more then the others. (For those of you who say you love your kids equally I either think your lying or I'll be a terrible parent one day)

I have forgotten my dog at someone's house before and had to drive back and get her. (Saying this out loud maybe I shouldn't have kids lol)

I work night shift and I have left my dog crated in the car overnight when the weather is nice so I can make it to an early morning trial on-time.

Sometimes when my boyfriend tells me I love the dogs more then him I have to think about it for a split second...

I got a BC mix as a NOVICE DOG OWNER.

That made me laugh. I got a Border Collie as a novice dog owner who knew absolutely zero about the breed! Speedy was happily chewing on my feet with his little puppy teeth as I got online and typed "Border Collie" into Google.

A recipe for disaster that ended up working out perfectly.

I think my confession is the worst of all - border collies are not my favourite breed. :o

Well, my confession won't sound unusual: border collies ARE my favorite breed.

However, to my GSD friends, who knew me for 25 years as a "Shepherd Person", it is an unusual confession.

And they can't seem to figure out how this happened to me! :huh:

Well, my confession won't sound unusual: border collies ARE my favorite breed.

However, to my GSD friends, who knew me for 25 years as a "Shepherd Person", it is an unusual confession.

And they can't seem to figure out how this happened to me! :huh:

Boy, can I relate to this! For a couple of decades no one could imagine me without a Rough Collie. Now I have this - and this is an actual quote- "ratty little dog." And I wouldn't trade this ratty little dog for all the Collies on the planet. Moreover, my attitude about Collies has taken a strong resemblance to the one often associated with old boyfriends - I wonder what I ever saw in them?

Moreover, my attitude about Collies has taken a strong resemblance to the one often associated with old boyfriends - I wonder what I ever saw in them?

Hmmm...not a functioning brain cell in their head but freakin' gorgeous?

When I think there maybe an axe murderer in the back yard and I'm too afraid to look.... I send the dogs out to check first

This thread actually made me laugh out loud, which is not good when you're pretending to be a grown-up in a public place.

I usually do the opposite- grab poker, grab dog, hide dog, go out with poker.

My BC jumps on people and hugs them. And I never really tried to break that habit, which he had when I got him from the rescue at 10 months of age. I just warn people that he jumps, and then I figure they're on their own. (Usually I say, "just pretend his name is OFF.")

My BC also pulls on the leash and I think he will never not pull on the leash. I just use a ComfortFlex harness, and try to have him off-leash as much as possible for the sake of my sanity.

My dog is off-leash a lot. Last week two people in the course of one walk asked 'do you need me to help you catch your dog?' Gah.

However, my dog DOES come when called, so that's something, right? :P