BC Boards

Blind Tex's declining health

Jo&Tex

My 12 year old blind border collie Tex,is having some major health issues. I'm trying to figure out where we are heading.

For those who don't know him, his story began when he was deliberately blinded when he was 5 month old puppy. He was owned by an 85 yr old man who became enraged when Tex and another dog ran off the property, as young dogs are prone to do. When the man got them back, he blinded both dogs by spraying their faces with WD40. The man's own family turned him in and the dogs became wards of the Spca. The man died and his estate was fined $200 for each dog. After many years in sanctuary, Tex came to live with me in 2005. He is completely blind but is a very determined, obsessive border collie who'd work the sheep if only I'd let him. I love him madly and he is my heart dog.

This year, Tex seemed to be slowing down. He was off, but he's not a high energy dog anyways and his appetite was great. In December, I could see blood pooling behind the thick cataracts in Tex's eyes. I took him in and we did a blood and urine panel. The results were not good. Tex has internal bleeding, his liver is stressed and his kidney function is very poor. In addition, he had a roaring UTI. We started him on antibiotics, pred and some glaucoma drugs. We consulted with a veterinary Opthamologist who recommended removing Tex's useless eyes to make him more comfortable. We've tested every week since then and his liver numbers keep getting worse. We've put him on a low protein vegetarian diet, added milk thistle and took him off the pred. His ALT is double the normal range and his ALP has gone from 800+ to 1100+ in a week (normal range is 20-150). His kidneys are leaking blood and protein still and his pee has almost no colour. He has very little ability to hold his urine. He can go 6 hours thru the night and only about 2 hours during the day. The infection is still present after 3 courses of Clavamox and Novamoxin.

We've done 5 sets of urinalysis, sent off 2 sets of bloodwork to the vet college of the U. of Guelph and we still havent found the cause of all this. The latest recommendation is to start testing for signs of inflammatory bowel disease and to xray him from tip to tail.

Happily, altho the prognosis is dire, Tex is pretty much his old self. He is keen to go for brief walks, he plays with our pup, he still counter surfs and he has a terrific appetite for his food. He is not acting as sick as he is supposed to be.

Vet care in Canada is expensive (the opthamologist charges $260/hour). I have a good job and can afford to keep doing this for a while but I'm beginning to question the need for this endless testing. If we find the source of the infection and bleeding, will it make a difference in the long run on a dog with this much organ damage? But, this is Tex and he's not just any dog to me. I feel like I owe it to him to keep going.

The practical side of me says one thing and my heart says another. My partner has no comment because he once sent of one of his springer spaniel bitches for a $5000 pacemaker operation which sadly failed.

I cant stand the thought of life without Tex. I'm a big believer in a day too soon rather than a day too late. I'm just not convinced that all this testing will guarantee me the quality of those remaining days.

{{{HUGS}}}

I don't envy you the decision and had to cry just reading this.

My best advice is to enjoy the time you have with him now. Tex will let you know when it's time.

His kidneys are leaking blood and protein still and his pee has almost no colour. He has very little ability to hold his urine. He can go 6 hours thru the night and only about 2 hours during the day. The infection is still present after 3 courses of Clavamox and Novamoxin.

I am so sorry to hear about Tex, but it sounds like he is still enjoying life (based on your description).

You sound like you have a very good handle on his condition, if only the medical tests would yield more information. Although Tex has a myriad of problems, I will make a small suggestion regarding the UTI. Have you considered cranberry extract with D-mannose as a supportive/preventive for multiple UTIs? What is happening with Tex may be stronger than what can be helped with the cranberry extract (since it has not responded to multiple rounds of antibiotics), but many dogs have found relief with that nutriceutical. (See a recent thread in this category regarding cranberry extract.) It would be a small step, involving no tests, only sprinkling a capsule of cranberry extract powder on his food.

Give Tex a big hug (if he likes them).

Jovi

I hate to sound like a broken record, but have you considered testing for tick-borne disesses? Ehrlichia (now called Neorikketsia) can cause internal bleeding. Lyme can cause nephritis and neurologocal problems. I don't know what the tick situation is in your area, but it's worth consideration.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I know how much Tex means to you and what a big part of your life he is.

J.

I'm another one that had to cry when I read this. I don't know what to say, except that whatever decision you make, either way, I suspect it will be the right one.

Break out the box of Kleenex for me too. Tex has been an important part of your life, I'd say as long as he's eating and enjoying life do what you can for him. He'll let you know when it's time. A hug for you & Tex both.

Laura

I know how much you love Tex and have cared for him. I have no advice other than to follow your heart, consider your pocketbook (because most of us do not have endless or deep pockets, and you can only do what you can afford to do), and also listen to him because he will let you know when he is ready to go.

Debbie Crowder (Baa-Ram-Ewe Luke) said it the best I have ever heard it expressed, about putting an animal down when it is time - we do it because we love them that much. So true.

God bless you both.

Tex was unfortunate enough to experience the cruelty of a human and fortunate enough to experience the incredible love of a human who not only could get past his disability but has given him wonderful years of love and happiness. Sadly it sounds like his body is starting to fail him although his incredible spirit is still dominant. We humans get so invested in the medical process of keeping our dogs alive, it becomes harder and harder to recognize when our dogs are ready to let go. If he were mine, I'd keep him comfortable for as long as possible and then let him go when he tells you it is time. I'm sorry you are going through this.

I'm so sorry you and Tex have to go through this. So glad Tex is still acting like his old self. I have no words of wisdom but would like to add that what ever you do, Tex and the rest of the dog caring world thanks you for being such a wonderful caretaker.

I hope Tex is able to help you with the decisions you will eventually have to make and prayers for some good news on his health.

Hugs and MOJO coming your way.

I'm struggling with my 13 y.o. cattle dog, although I haven't done as many tests as you. Love him while you can, mop up the floor from the accidents and enjoy the nights you have to get up with him to let him pee.

You will know the right time, just make sure he isn't in distress now.

My cattle dog still has a veracious appetite, but recent blindness has made him a bit snappy and confused. it won't be long but love them every day!

boomer says to tex...be good man...enjoy your days

IMG_0431.jpg

What an incredible story, and how lucky Tex was to "find" you.

One thought: has anyone done a urine CULTURE with a cysto-collected sample? So many UTIs do respond to general antibiotics, but it might be worth trying to figure out what the exact problem is there.

You might also consider joining the Yahoo group: K9KidneyDiet. (There are some other canine kidney groups, but this one is excellent.) It is somewhat cumbersome to join - the moderators would like you to list values from blood work, etc. But their advice (though not veterinarians) is very good, especialy as regards diet and supplements.

I don't know much about the eye problems, but dogs can live with some pretty serious liver and kidney problems - if managed correctly. My ol' girl is almost 16 yr old, had two lobes of her liver removed along with her spleen at age 14 (which I almost didn't do), they left one lobe with a big mass on it, but no sign of cancer (whew). She was dx with kidney disease almost a year ago, and except for occasionally going off of her food, her numbers are pretty stable, and she's doing well. One med that she gets for her liver issues is Actigall (generic ursodiol) - you might ask about that. Keeping the phosphorus down in kidney dogs' diets is key too - something that is very hard to do with commercial (even prescription) diets. Mine eats homemade, and overall, likes it well enough.

Best of luck to you. It is so hard to see our heart dogs getting old....

diane

Have you had his liver ultrasounded? I believe liver problems can lead to increased bleeding times. I'd also recommend checking blood pressure as sometimes it can be high which can cause bleeding into the eye and can make kidney failure worse. You could ask the vet about trying the antibiotic "baytril" for the bladder for 4 weeks. I'd also make sure they are doing a cysto sample (right from the bladder) as opposed to a free catch as some dogs can have bacteria living in the urethra/prepuce area.

My 13.5 year old has bad kidneys and a horrible heart yet she still acts her same self, wants to go on walks etc. I know I'll have the same decision coming at some point - I mean what can you do when some of the vital organs are failing. Its not feasible to do heart/kidney/liver transplants on an old dog and when there is something wrong with these organs its generally only something that can be managed, not reversed. Its just hard when they are still acting "normal". Both my old dogs have had chronic kidney failure and the oldest one had it for over 1.5 years before a tumor got her. My current dog has had kidney issues for the past year and its moderately stable. She is on fortekor to reduce blood pressure and a couple supplements, and now is on a bunch of heart drugs. I know at this point I'm doing all I can for her and I guess I just have to keep going and when she shows me signs that she's no longer happy, then I'll have to make that decision. I think thats really all you can do when there are multiple serious problems.

I wish you the strength to put your belief in practice.

Best wishes in this difficult time.

NB. On a side note this horrible abuse the dog had to suffer in his youth, it was done with WD40? I use that stuff pretty often, I think most people who have anything to do with machinery do, and I would never have suspected this stuff to be so dangerous.

Tex is blind and hasn't been able to read the lab reports that say he's so sick. He is really doing quite well. He does have a new, goopy eye infection that needs to be checked.

We have results today from the second urine culture that was performed. Both cultures are from the urine stream, not cysto and were done at the U of Guelph. The first one didnt show anything that wouldnt respond to the antibiotics we used. Based on todays results, the vet wants to put Tex on a drug costing $270/month and to continue to regularly check his urine. Fine by me. If he's already feeling better and this drug will have him tap dancing again, I'm ready.

When Tex first started bleeding his blood pressure was 264/80. It's done now to a reasonable 160/70.

We are considered to be too far north for tick borne diseases but my vet suspects we indeed have Lyme here based on some human cases showing up in the area to the south of us. My other dogs are constantly in the woods and fields. Tex is more of fenced yard and driveway kind of dog.

Tex gets cranberries and blueberries as part of his vegetarian diet. I drink cranberry juice myself and think it couldnt hurt for Tex to be getting some cranberry extract too.

We have a wicked ice storm here today and my vet is closing early. I'll post an update when we start the new meds. Thank you everyone for your mojo, support and good advice.

This is Tex's petfinder link from 2004. Tex has abnormally low pressure in his eyes. he has cataracts and the opposite of glaucoma caused by the burning effect of WD40.

I have a wonderful man in my life who I met 2 years ago. His brother's wife also applied to adopt Tex in 2004 but I won the Tex lottery over her. Either way, he was destined to be here. I rent an old farmhouse from my boyfriends Mum. This morning, she told me to take the cost of Tex's monthly meds off my rent.

I love these people!!

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/3711596

Archived