BC Boards

The Strangest Guess as to What Breed Your Dog Is?

This thread was inspired by the "Sydney/Bingo" thread, as I read it as Sydney/Dingo, and it reminded me of what happened the other day while I was exercising Aronomy at the park the other day.

So anyway, a couple days ago, I was throwing the frisbee for Aronomy at the park, and as usual he drew a crowd of onlookers. A group of 3 or so kids, that looked like they were siblings, came up to ask if they could pet my dog. I said they should wait till he came back and I made him lay down, and they did. They didn't have any parents around, as far as I could tell, but Aronomy loves kids, so he was ok. Well, soon their father comes up, and he says...."Say, is that a Dingo?"

I was laughing soooo hard inside, espeically with the all the jokes (Dingo ate my baby). I said "What?" And he asked again..I couldn't believe he had asked what he did :rolleyes: . I politely said, no, he's a border collie as he was petting Aronomy. He said..oh, beautiful dog, etc.

Haha, so what are the strangest guesses you've heard as to what breed of dog you have?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whippet or greyhound (both are "Windhund" in German so I don't know which one they meant). That came from the only other BC owners in this area. They were young kids, but still!

She often gets taken for a mutt, which is all right because she has no papers and might be a mix for all I know, but a Windhund of any kind :confused: ...she's not that thin!

Does this look like a cattle dog to you? Some lady at the park swore that Grace looked just like her "cattle dog". She even seemed a bit offended when I assured her that Grace is, indeed, a border collie.

07150_demo14.jpg

I get this all the time! You'd think no one ever saw Babe! :rolleyes:

I have been asked "Is your dog a--"

About Tess:

-Bernese Mountain Dog

-Greyhound mix

-German Shepherd

-Husky

About Kipp:

-Karelian Bear Hound (and not just once, but several times by several different people)

-Greyhound mix

-Husky

-Blue heeler (and they point to the ticking)

But my all-time favorite is this one about Tess...

"Why does your Australian Shepherd have a tail?"

"Because she's a BORDER COLLIE!" :D

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

I had a woman argue with me once because she insisted Kincorra was a cattle dog and I insisted Kincorra was a border collie (having seen her mother and all, and having her birth certificate).

Rufus, on the otherhand, gets mistaken as a border collie all the time. Heck, I mistook him for one, too.

Every once in a while he acts like one, but it's rare to the point where I ask myself: did I just see that?

Laura has been called a Sheltie, mini Aussie, mini BC and any combination of the three, and a puppy. No one believed that she was a purebred BC or that she was full grown because she is very small. OK, she's little and cute, but she still looks like a BC.

LauraHead4.jpg

Psycho High Octane Ball Hound

As in, how old is THAT dog?

Ummmm, he's eight.

What kind of dog is he? Cuz for eight, he sure is one Psycho High Octane Ball Hound. So where can I get one, he sure seems smart and well behaved for all that energy?

Hmmm, well let's see...prereq's are, you must only require 4 hours of sleep per night, be ready to exercise at a moments notice, never EVER waste time (except that 4 hours wasting time asleep), and you can only acquire one from a reputable rescue organization (unless you have a sheepfarm) and then the dog must be neutered or spayed (okay, a bit redundant with the reputable rescue organization). So, you think you can handle it?

Nah, don't know if I'm more tired from watching your dog, or from all the requirements of your sermon. Think I'll just get me a Bassett Hound on prozac.

A mutt, almost ever. But very fow people know other than labs, GSD, poodles and cocker spaniels.

If I'm without Chemukh and I tell someone I have a Border Collie they ask "A WHAT??" Then I usually respond... "Have you seen Babe?" or "Have you seen the dogs that jump obstacles in Animal Planet?"

lets see Happy was once mistaken for a greyhound puppy, but most people at the very least know that she is a sheepdog, I get lots of people walking by yell out "is that one of those sheepdogs?" or "hey its one of those topdogs!" (Happy has been on topdogs so its not exactly wrong lol) and Happy is usually mistane for younger then she is, most people guess 2 or 3, but she's 6.

Misty on the other hand..... well..Misty has been an ACD, a GSD, a pit bull, a mutt, and ALWAYS a puppy. too bad she is 4 years old lol but most of the times she is just "that gorgous dog!"

Ripley is a shipperkie/bosten terrier and he is rather easily guessed as such, and both breeds are very clear.

Perky, we dont even know what so is, the president of the JRTCA says she is a good quality pure bred JRT, but she sure dont act like it, she is most often called a border collie, or a borderjack or a corgie/cattle dog mix.

Blair gets the strange guesses but 99% of north amercia has neve heard of a pyrenean shepherd, a former ver guessed him to be very very old at a petstore once...when he was 4 months old lol but he is usally a mutt, or a terrier, and when I tell people he is a pyrenean shepherd they assume I mean a great pyrenease, then the crazys come out.... lol

Forgot to mention: when Twig was a pup, it was always "beagle mix." People would look at Grayling (black and white; coat like a Barbie) and say, "Oh, what a cute border collie!" Then they'd look at tricolored slick-coat Twig and go, "Beagle mix, right?"

Twig and Gray are littermates. ohwell.gif

Back when Foo was still alive, people would ask me 1 of 2 questions about her.

1. Is she part wolf? *She had 1 brown and 1 blue eye* which made some folks wonder if she was part wolf for some reason.

2. Is she blind in that eye?

As for Sydney, the funny thing is since she is a mix, i tell people she is 1/2 dingo or 1/2 Coyote. :rolleyes:

Mine are mixes, so I have no clue, anyway.

For Jack, I've gotten: beagle, pit bull, great dane, JRT (when he was a puppy), dalmatian, boxer, pointer, lab, whippet...you name it. Even people who know border collies say he can't have much bc in him, since his hair is so short. :rolleyes:

For Lilly, most people can tell she's mostly lab, but they've guessed her to be mixed with whippet, greyhound or dachshund.

Originally posted by urge to herd:

Somebody asked me if Samantha, who is brown and white, was a springer spaniel. And several times, I've been asked if Buzz, who is closing in on 9, is a puppy.

Ruth n the BC3

That happens to me all the time too.

Last time we were at the vet (who is supposed to know better than average people) and she said me I should take care of her tartar. I was sad, because I'm proud that her theet are a bit yellow, but almost no tartar and I mentioned it to the vet. She was surprised to know that Chemukh is 4 years old as she did all the examination thinking of her as a 1 year old.

Most people used to think my red dogs were Springer Spaniel mixes, though that happens less now that I have Piper. As she looks just like the other two but is traditionally coloured, people now guess border collie more frequently.

My favourite story about this is the lady who asked me what mixes my dogs were and then put her arm around me and said "oh sweetie, you got ripped offf ... border collies are black and white, not brown."

My first BC was primary white but a tri. Walking her and red dog a guy told me they were the funniest looking BCs he had ever seen. Hmph.

Also I have had people tell me my red dogs are Irish Reds, Cedars, and Northern Browns. Okay. I thought they were red bcs? hee hee.

I notice that more people know what my dogs are now. The familiarity with the breed must be growing. They do sometimes get mistaken for Aussies though (understandably with Tweed, since he is half). Lots of people just call them "those sheep dogs."

Oh and several people have aksed if Mr. Woo is part Husky because of the blue eye. World's smallest Husky??

RDM

On of the most common things people think Dazzle is:

"What kind of mix is that?"

"Why does your Australian Shepherd have a tail?"

"Because she's a BORDER COLLIE!"

I get this word for word one ALL THE TIME!! It drives me crazy! Have these people ever seen Aussies?!?! :rolleyes:

Some others I have gotten for Daz:

Greyhound mix

Longhaired greyhound (these don't even exist but they swore that she was one!)

Cattle dog

Golden mix

Husky

Papillion (WHAT?! She doesn't even have pricked OR dropped ears!)

And lots of other crazy things too.

Most people are like "oh, a border collie huh? But she is so skinny and...not fluffy. I could have sworn she was a ____ " :D

What is the world coming too?