BC Boards

The Strangest Guess as to What Breed Your Dog Is?

SNERK! That's hilarious! Yes, you're probably just overlooking her somewhere, did you check all your dog crates? Maybe she's in there, cuddled up with one of your dogs. How long has it been since you've vacuuumed? Maybe she's in the vacuum bag and you just sucked her right up without noticing. You'd better check, it might get messy in there otherwise. Perhaps stuck in the dryer's lint trap? (So THAT'S why all those socks keep disappearing! She's making a nest!)

Sigh. Well, at least your life won't get dull.... every so often another little episode of the mysterious and chaotic Life of Joy to liven things up....

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, our own life is chaotic enough without her drama to season it! For instance, I've been expecting a very important call for the last week, and keep half killing myself to get to the phone, only to answer another call from one of Joy's creditors or her confused friends. I'm starting to recognize the voices of some of them, one in particular who sounds like a college jock - i can see him standing there in his letter jacket, stupidly repeating, "But this is Joy's number - I know, I've got it by memory."

And yesterday I almost killed poor Cord tripping over him, stumbled to the phone, and it was a recording saying that it was a call about Joy's account. I was given the options to "Press 1 if this is Joy, to hold for an operator" then, "Press 2 if this is not Joy [my heart leapt at the chance that opened up to tell someone that I'm not joy, even it was a machine!], to set up a time when Joy may be reached [i raged within]" and last (sensibly it should have been "if this is a wrong number" but no), "Press 3 to allow time for Joy to come to the phone". I waited hoping for more choices, but no. There's so point talking to these operators, either. They are really convinced you are hiding Joy in a closet or something.

I've had people INSIST that Speedy is a mutt because they've "never seen a Collie that looks like that"!!!!! Even when I try to explain that a Border Collie isn't a Lassie Collie.

But the funniest to me is when I get this question:

Are they littermates?

DSC00222.jpg

Most working BCs are very identifiable as "sheep" dogs by most people.
That's true. I had Speedy at a nursing home one time and I introduced him as a Border Collie. I was "corrected" by one of the residents who said (in a kind of exasperated tone) "that's a sheep dog!" So, we were both right!! LOL!!

So as not to appear stupid, I've learned never to try to guess a breed I'm not sure of. If I'm not sure, I ask someone in an interested and open tone, "what breed is your dog?" and when they tell me I say "of course - I should have seen that!" unless, of course, I was unfamiliar with the breed to start with. It tends to work well.

As to the weird phone mistakes: I called my grandma a few months ago. She was talking about our new house (we had moved) and we had a little conversation before she called me by another name. I said, No, this is Tammy. She said, oh I know honey. Took me a minute but I finally realized I wasn't talking to MY grandma. I tried to inform her of this, but she wasn't buying it. She was sure I was her grandaughter!! Finally I said I needed to go and we ended with I love you's. Still cracks me up.

We also have someone else's old number. Ruth gets repeated calls from the historical society and the ladies auxiliary. Calls from the library, on and on. At least Ruth was more responsible than Joy!! People have gotten quite irritated when I try to tell them this is no longer Ruth's number!

Now, to return to the topic at hand......