BC Boards

Cost of keeping dogs....

I was lamenting the other day about how much it costs to keep dogs. Veterinary costs have sky rocketed, preventative meds are not cheap, and *good* dog food, is expensive.

I got an estimate the other day for a dental on one of my dogs. Low ball price is about $550, high end, $750. That's with one extraction, and cleaning.

Spays for females are over $500.00.

Good dog food (like Orijen) for a 35-40 lb bag is like $50.00.

When you have multiple dogs, it is just astronomical. I used to think first about time committments when thinking of another dog, now, it's basic finances, that trumps everything else. Oh, and add to that emergencies....

Stinks.

Does the terminology "Dog Poor" ring a bell? LoL I have 12 at home. Lucky I work for a good vet. 40% off all medical. I feel blessed.

Does the terminology "Dog Poor" ring a bell? LoL I have 12 at home. Lucky I work for a good vet. 40% off all medical. I feel blessed.

12!! Yikes! See, now I consider myself Dog Rich and Cash Poor. Of course, that's with three. With 12, I'd be cash destitute. :rolleyes:

Those prices are crazy (except maybe the dental if it's an extensive extraction, but it still seems abnormally high.) Have you tried other clinics? I know here in Vegas, spays can range from $100-400 plus depending on what clinic you go to. I just started my new job (yeah!) and our spay that includes pain meds and iv fluids is about $150.

edited to add: I take that back about the dental. In our area, lowball would be about $180, high end would be $500-$700.

Ouch! With having 4 dogs at home, i'm pretty good at shopping around. I order meds online, go to clinics for vaccines, use clinics for spays... it cuts a LOT of costs from the vet. I also feed raw which is so much cheaper (for me) and also keeps their teeth clean and healthy. Brushing teeth daily, adding swimming to prevent arthritis and joint problems, and other preventative measures also keeps long term vet costs practically non existent.

That being said, it would be a lot easier on me (financially) if I didn't have them. But, they're worth it. Most days anyway :rolleyes:

The vet I work for has monthly specials for dentals, spays, (preventatives) and such. I like that they are in tune with folks wanting to take better care of their animals, and try to keep costs low for them to be able to do that. Ive seen to many these days that aren't, and don't.

Where the heck do you find a big bag of Orijen for $50? Here that would be $75/$80.... Petco charges $50+ for Natural Balance! Taste of the Wild runs around $50 at the pet supply stores, but thankfully I get it from a friend for $38. I have several friends with multiple dogs who get their food for dealer prices -- maybe I need to add a couple more dogs to get those same deals. lol

I was surprised to hear how much the price of a spay/neuter has gone up in my area. When Luke was done, a neuter was $90 (large breed, even) -- Now it's over $150, and a spay obviously costs more.

But forget that, it's the day-to-day upkeep of a sporting dog that kills me. Adequan injections once or twice a month depending on the trial schedule, daily joint supplements, chiropractor appointments, massage appointments -- and of course the trial fees themselves.

Add to that, Luke was diagnosed with Addison's disease last year. Yeah... I'm very much dog-poor. Used to be horse-poor, so I'm used to it.

I picked up a stray dog a few weeks ago and I believe I can get him neutered for $60.00 at the low cost spay / neuter clinic in my town. I have never used a clinic like that before but I lack extra cash and no matter how hard I wish, those testicles just won't disappear on their own.

Even out here I find the best deals I can. Not as good as MO or AR but I've never paid 500$ for a spay. I don't do dental or should say I haven't had to do any dental work on the dogs so that hasn't been an issue.

I use ivermec for heatworm preventive so that's cheap, Frontline was my biggest cost and I did the buy the biggest size and use for multiple dogs so that was even doalbe. I do what little vaccines we do at home so that's not to bad. I think it might take more time to "shop" for the best deals, but if you're hard up enough that's what you'll do!

I was buying TOTW the other day remembering way back when I was first married with 2 kids and could hardly afford the price of a small cheap bag of chow at the grocery store for my one small dog. We've come a long way.

I guess the dogs are my biggest expense but I don't shop for clothes, don't go out to eat much and really have no other hobbies (besides sheep) for the dogs so it's how I choose to spend my entertainment budget. NOt that I have any extra but I just seem to find what I need for the dogs.

I only have 5 dogs at the moment so it could be way worse. One positive budget issue is Lilly the LGD doesn't eat TOTW, she does much better on a cheaper food. Cause adding her into the TOTW budget would probably kill me!

We had one dog spayed using a discount voucher issued by a local humane society.

A recent extraction did not cost us that much even extracting a canine tooth and an incisor.

We choose to drive farther (into another state) to get into a lower pricing region for vet services.

We choose to feed something that is not "the best" but our dogs all do well on it for about $0.60/lb.

We use off-label meds to instead of prescription meds where appropriate.

We buy the largest size of Frontline and spit based upon our dogs' weight.

This works for us and our 10 dogs.

Mark

Vet clinics are a business and are trying to make money. Some are making more than others.

I do just the basic things like vaccines, spays & neuters...at the vet and take care of the dental, worming and heartworm on my own. That said I just spayed 2 and neutered another and it was $300 all together. Also had x-rays for the oldest dog and a refill on his enalapril which was $58.75. There are more expensive clinics in the area, but I've always been happy with my vet and he works with me.

Laura

You need a different vet.

I just took 5 dogs and 3 kittens to the vet - the vet is a boarded chiro, does holistic/conventional med.

Everybody got a general physical, one dog had an ultrasound, 4 chiro adjustments (2 for major issues). 4- 3 year Rabies shots.

$289 - and this is in Memphis city limits and a mulltivet practice, so not exactly small town prices.

I use a vet supply company for heartworm meds, antibiotics, general needs - most of it is basically at farm vet cost.

Some of the vets out there are price gouging at criminal levels. The dental prices, the need for these "routine" procedures, are just flat out wrong in particular.

I only have two and it scares me to think what they cost. My vet recently gave me a quote for $250.00 for a neuter and an additional $100.00 for hip X rays which I did not think was to bad. in this area low coat spay/neuter clinics are income based. Last time I had teeth cleaned on one of my old dogs about 3 years ago (it was very necessary) it was about $450.00 with blood work etc. The monthly cost of Advantix just pisses me off, if any one has a reliable mail order source I would love to know about it. I am very supportive of my Vet, for the area I don't think she over charges, it is a small clinic and she is not driving a mercedes! plus I like have a relationship with the practise, as there have been times they have waived the office visit charge for quick visits.

Around here, there is a wide range in costs depending on the vet. The vet that I use for my personal dogs is very expensive and a spay for him would probably cost around $400-500, maybe more. My rescue vet is significantly cheaper (thank goodness, or I would not be able to continue doing rescue). For a dog under 50 pounds, a spay costs me $45 and a neuter costs me $35. That doesn't include the cost of any "extras" like blood work and pain meds. But, I don't usually do blood work unless there is some reason to be concerned. My vet gives me the discount because the rescue is a 501©3, but the general public can purchase spay and neuter vouchers from a non-profit spay and neuter organization and get that same price.

Vets in our area $42.00 office visit ,$12.00 clip nails unless already there for shots then free, spayed $225.00, stool check $30.00, shots 3 yr Rabies and distemper $29.00 just went for visit $148.00. Worm meds $18.00 but they are close 3 miles from house.

I hear ya. With 4 dogs AND 4 cats, it's crazy. And 3 of my four cats has a medical condition that requires routine bloodwork and monthly medication. *sigh* I finally made the switch from a vet practice that I'd been going to for 20 years, because I just couldn't afford them anymore. The vet we go to now if farther away, but they are much more price friendly, and bill themselves as providing quality vet care at afforable prices.

We have two or three low cost spay/neuter clinics around here. It depends on weight, of course, but none are over $100.

The situation is not helped when a dog has special nutritional needs. Annie is on dog foods that can only be dispensed by prescription from a vet (Royal Canin HE and LF kibble, Royal Canin HE canned), as well as her daily anti-IBS and anti-allergy medications. Then there are her treats; she can only eat Avoderm cookies. We also take her to the vet at least quarterly, even if it is only for a wellness check; add in her shots, trips to the groomer, doggie daycare (for fun and games) twice per week, etc., and it all adds up to something that looks like a year's worth of mortgage payments. Do I care? No...

DW asked me what I would do if we found we couldn't afford this after I retire. I told her the answer was simple; I would capitalize on my advanced education and professional background and credentials to secure a job (to supplement Social Security) for which I would be eminently qualified, most likely as a dog walker or a Wal*Mart greeter...

OMG I wish I could get good quality dog food for $50. Here in Australia a 13kg (28.6lb) bag of EVO costs $149 and the aussie dollar is close in value to the American and Canadian.

With 5 dogs I have got to the point where I do a 50:50 of EVO with a good supermarket brand called Supercoat which still costs $30 for about 17lbs. Neutering a male dog is around $220. My sister is a retired vet so luckily I get preventatives like heartworm at cost and she vaccinates the dogs otherwise it would cost $80 per dog.

Lacee had her yearly a while ago. That consists of HW check, Sr. blood work, shots, urinalysis and they ran a lyme disease thing because she came up positive. It all came to $650. I just stood there in shock and asked them to repeat that please. I had to run home and get a credit card that was put away for emergencies. I don't know if it's because I live in the DC area, but the prices have been going up steadily every year. I think about getting a second BC, but just don't think I can afford it. :rolleyes:

I think I will start to look at other places. I really like this place, and I do get a discount, but the charges are just so high, for everything. The in house anaplasma/lyme test I had done on one dog was over $90.

I *hate* the idea of looking for a vet/practice based on price, but I think they are just over their heads with overhead (several employees, and mortgages/etc.).

I will call around. Maybe use these guys for serious issues, but another place for more routine stuff.

I think I will start to look at other places. I really like this place, and I do get a discount, but the charges are just so high, for everything. The in house anaplasma/lyme test I had done on one dog was over $90.

I *hate* the idea of looking for a vet/practice based on price, but I think they are just over their heads with overhead (several employees, and mortgages/etc.).

I will call around. Maybe use these guys for serious issues, but another place for more routine stuff.

:D:rolleyes:

My vet tests does a 4 parasite blood screen (including HW, lyme, erlichia (sp?)) for about $35. S/N run from around $50-$250 depending on the size of the animal, pre-op blood work and pain meds used. A regular office visit is also about $35.

Just took my small dog for a follow up blood panel and anal gland exam and emptying (he had surgery on his gland so it has scar tissue and needs the vet to empty out what accumulates), and my other dog needed a rabies shot. The bill was $100 for both exams, a mini blood panel (in house) and the vaccine.

I got an estimate the other day for a dental on one of my dogs. Low ball price is about $550, high end, $750. That's with one extraction, and cleaning.

Spays for females are over $500.00.

a $500 spay? wow, to be honest i have heard of hospitals hiking up spay/neuter prices because 1. they want to do everything b/w iv cath etc. which is not bad, but 2. they really do not ever profit from a spay or neuter so they make it worth the while to do them. In So. Cali we charge $250 for a "full package" 40lb dog.

i would ask around and find the average cost and go with the place you feel comfortable with.

Sometimes pet insurance can help.... especially in case of emergencies...

Archived