BC Boards

Is my pup a border collie

Hi, everyone,

I just got a puppy one month ago. the person who sold me this puppy said she is a pure bred border collie, but all my friends said she is not pure. they told me that she is a mix. now I'm very confused, when other people ask me what kind of dog she is, I just don't know how to tell them.

I really wanna know what kind of mix is she, some people ask me is she a sheltie, but i think sheltie should have longer coat.

could someone here tell me if she looks like pure border collie? thank you all

100227055983ae68b541da920f.jpg

91166_1268978141QEQ1.jpg

91166_12689781136agU.jpg

Welcome!

I don't know where you got your puppy and I don't know anything about your friends or what their level of "expertise" is to say what they said, but your pup certainly looks like a Border Collie to me. Many purebred Border Collies don't fit the "show ring, cookie cutter, black and white, very hairy, tipped-ear, stocky" image that the general US public has of the "Border Colllie". In reality, there is a great deal of variety in color, coat, ears, build, and so on in the Border Collie because it is (and should be) a breed that is not based on appearance but on stock-working ability - and that's a matter of mind, not appearance.

Please read "Read This First" at the top of the index page to understand the general philosophy of these boards.

Best wishes with your pup!

Welcome to the boards!

She looks like a very cute border collie to me!

Border collies have a very wide assortment of "looks" since that's not what they are bred for (well at least that's not what they should be bred for). Most people will know that my female, Daisy, is a border collie, but then when I say "they both are" they look at Devon sort of puzzled...... :rolleyes:

She's a beautiful puppy -- and looks all Border Collie to me. Her coat may end up being on the smoother side...it's hard to tell from a picture, but that would be my guess. You may have seen some pictures of smooth coats on this board.

Some of your friends might think "Sheltie" because of the way her ears tipped in that one picture but that's also a BC feature as is her engaging and active expression. Just as an aside, if someone is selling a "purebred", the papers come with the pup. At any rate, stand up proud and say, My girl is a Border Collie :rolleyes:.

Have fun with your pretty pup -- be sure to give her lots of socialization and activities and she'll be a wonderful companion. She is going to learn a great deal very quickly!

Liz

A couple of ways to tell. Does she give you the eye? And if you feel her shoulders you shoud be able to feel the shoulder plates stickig above her back. Same thing at the hips. It's a distinctive shape and will often separate look alike Aussies from BCs.

Guest echoica

definitely looks like a tri border collie to me! it looks like she will have a rough coat too...she has fuzzy ears (usually a good indication) :rolleyes:

Super Cute!

She does look like a border collie to me. A lot of people don't know they come in anything other than black and white. It's funny, everyone pegs my mix for a border collie 'cause she's black and white. My other, who is most likely pure bred is a big question mark for most people. He has tipped ears and is a tri-colour. People ask me if he's a mini bernese mountain dog... (and i hope to god those don't actually exist!)

This breed is incredibly diverse in their looks, colours and markings.

post-8266-1269356250_thumb.jpgpost-8266-1269356272_thumb.jpg

I think I would turn the question around a bit and ask why you'd have reason to doubt the breeder? Presumably if it was a reputable breeder, you could trust that you have a border collie. I certainly wouldn't let friends who are inexperienced with the breed "determine" for me that she *isn't* a border collie. She's my favorite color--tri! And she's adorable.

J.

She sure looks like a Border Collie to me. Were the people who were questioning it thinking of the cookie cutter black & white rough coats that show up in the breed ring? Wait a year or so and show them when she's ready to start on sheep. :rolleyes:

Laura

I'd say she's and Border Colllie. She looks a lot like one of Swafford pups that we rescued. He went to a very good by the way. :rolleyes:

IMG_0160.JPG

Is that the dog that was called "Garrett" at the time of the raid?

He looks amazing from the first pics of him.

Yep that's Garrett. :rolleyes: Now known as Mick. He is a great little guy!!! He's full of energy and loves to play. He went to a great home and has buddy that is BC x with a terrier of some kind they think. It was a great match.

Archived