Jump to content
BC Boards

Brad

Registered Users
  • Posts

    347
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Brad

  1. fluconazole

    If you want, give me your email and I can forward the full vet report from a specialist we had look at her.

  2. Katie, we never found the cause, but treated as a fungal infection and that eventually cleared most of the issues. Her one eye is still a bit sunken in, but hardly noticeable anymore. She also appears to have some nerve damage in her nose, she's always rubbing it as if it tickles. It doesn't seem to bother her and she appears to enjoy the rubbing. I don't recall the medication I use...

  3. Thanks Debbie, that's a lot of reading I'm fairly certain that if it was in fact blasto, the lack of immediate treatment should have killed her long ago. And the test did come back negative, for whatever that's worth (apparently not a lot). Overall she seems to be recovering well, although still a bit of nasal snorting and the eye thing. Looking at it tonight, I'm pretty sure she'll lose the eye. Not the end of the world, if the rest of her recovers properly. I'm torn with taking her back to the vet for the eye, since he didn't seem to really know what to do with the whole case. The specialist is away until the 13th, so I'm not sure waiting is a good plan either..
  4. Julie, no, I think it was a time frame restriction, and the vet felt that any TBD would require doxy anyway, so we just treated accordingly, knowing that using the doxy wasn't harmful to the dog. However, after a month of doxy, we saw no improvement, so assumed that TBD was not at fault. Honestly, not knowing exactly what to press the vet for kind of left me vulnerable to what he believed, rather than doing what needed doing. After many hundreds of dollars on fungal tests, I'm told that they aren't all that accurate anyway. Seriously? So, working with the money available we tried to test for most likely and treat for TBD regardless of testing. Also, tick illnesses are kind of rare here, so it wasn't high on the list. My guess was blasto, which is also almost unheard of, but the specialist thought crypto more likely. I even suggested distemper, but the symptoms didn't follow closely enough, and with vaccines, almost unheard of also. $2000 later I still don't know what it is or isn't, but the recent recovery is promising, my only long term concern being her eye. Overall, I felt that the vet should have assigned more seriousness to the issue, we lost a lot of time with hmms and haws...some tests took 10 days to get back, etc Just as this was setting in, she was supposed to go off to Martha McHardy for training, now I'm ot sure she'll ever get to chase woolies But, we were close to calling it done, and she started to come around, so even if she loses the eye, she's still here and happy again
  5. Yes, sorry, a bit of an update. Still no definitive assessment, although a specialist came in and had a look, and we decided to treat for fungal infection with a new med (fluconazole). We also continued with the elevated dose of doxycycline. Over the last couple of weeks, she has shown substantial improvement in energy and appetite, eating now double what she ate before. Hopefully she adds her weight back. Issues that continue, her left eye is still dialated and mostly unresponsive to light, and appears sunken in to the socket. My wife fears we'll lose the eye. Also, her sense of smell may be off, or couple with incorrect vision, she can't target food very well. I'll offer a treat (I wrap her meds in a roll of deli meat) and she'll press her nose into it like she's trying to find it, but won't eat it. She will however smell around on the floor, or sniff at the dinner plate, etc, so I'm not sure what to think. I've sent an email to the Internalist, but she's out of town until next week. Overall though, the dog appears happy and is playing with the other dogs, and tries to jump on my head whenever she gets a chance. If it is fungal, a much longer treatment term will be applied with the fluconazole, so hopefully we see further improvement. FWIW, we ran 2 panels for fungal, both came back negative.
  6. I did send an email to the vet for him to read before he calls me with what I've done, links to the clinical study I read describing that dosage, etc, but will discuss thoroughly with him when he calls. This dosage is also recommended on other sites I've reviewed, so feel confident that I'm not doing further harm (taking into consideration GI impacts of the medication).
  7. Thanks Kristen! My vet is pretty good, so probably no issues continuing the meds, and worst case, I can just go to my doctor and get more doxy if I need it. You know, for malaria prevention My concern is that I feel like I need to treat something now, not wait for all the tests to come back, I'm just not sure what to treat for! I'll keep the doxy going, and make sure she has something to eat. I understand it can be bad for the esophageal lining
  8. Thanks Julie. After Liz's comments, I did some reading last night and have doubled the dosage on the doxy. As you say, I've nothing to lose at this point. I've got the vet calling me at 9am, so I'll discuss whether we've tested for TBD (we've tested so much I'm losing track) and specifically ruled out any possibility.
  9. Liz, absolutely, I'm not going to just administer drugs I've left a msg for the vet to call me in the morning to discuss options. I'm pressed with a sense of urgency to do something, anything, but doing the wrong thing isn't going to help. BTW, TBD is a what? Oh, got it, tick borne disease? We thought that, and treated with Doxy, which should have shown some improvement (I'm told). It did not, although it did seem to break the fever.
  10. Thanks Cindy, I might actually try that. I'm leaning towards convinced that it's a fungal infection, but the blood for the full panel went out today and it could be a couple weeks to get results. I'm pretty sure she'll be dead in a couple of weeks if I don't do something now. I'll discuss this with the vet...
  11. I thought of that, but it all appears to be respiratory related, other than the eye. The eye can and often is affected during fungal infections, so I'm leaning that way. The vet agrees and we're sending off blood for a full fungal panel this morning. The meds for lungworm, which we just took a guess at, are not showing any improvement.
  12. I don't think so, xrays would have shown something swallowed and if she had inhaled something, I would expect one nostril to be plugged, not both. I would also expect the condition to change, either to clear up as whatever was lodged decayed/dissolved, etc, or to get a lot worse as time goes by. So far, she's been pretty consistent, although the coughing is new...
  13. Thanks Julie. I'm hoping that magically this lung worm med fixes her, but I'm not optimistic. I just noticed a 1/2" piece of fur missing from just below her eye, not sure if she ran into something, or if the hair fell out. I've outlined the perimeter of the hair loss, we'll see if it progresses tomorrow. Poor pups...
  14. I believe this is the next step, trying to determine if and what fungal infection it could be. At this point, I'm not even sure we can "cure" her.
  15. no, I've never even heard of it. I'll do some research..thanks
  16. Yes, that's the one tested for with negative results. The vet was concerned about simply treating with anti-fungals, as apparently some are potentially dangerous to the patient. We may test for some less common strains.
  17. Hi all, haven't been around here a lot lately, but figured this would be a great place to get some ideas. I've got a 2yo female intact female that quickly became ill 8 weeks ago. One day she was fine, the next day, she appeared to be running on about 40% energy. Her appetite is almost none existent and she's losing weight, but likely from the medical concerns. So far the vet has come up blank. Blood work mostly good, slightly elevated white cells, but not abnormally high. We put her on a couple of weeks worth of broad spectrum antibiotics (I think amoxicillin?). no change. She has congestion in her sinuses, eyes runny and slight clouding in her lungs on xray. One pupil is exxtremely dialated, although resonsive to light and she can see out of it. While waiting for a fungal screening, I treated with Doxycycline, so far with no results. Just found out tonight that fungal test came back negative. Last week she had a fever, but metacam and the doxy seem to have got that in check. Last two days she's been coughing a bit, so her respiratory condition is declining, I guess. Overall, this has been reasonably stable for 8 weeks now, not getting better or noticeably worse (other than the coughing). We live on Vancouver Island, southern BC. No heartworm here, so that's not a concern. She hasn't been exposed to out of town dogs in almost 6 months at a local flyball tournament. None of my other dogs have caught it, so apparently not contagious.. The vet is taking a WAG and suggested treating for lungworm, as the symptoms somewhat align (other than the eye, although migration to the eye is possible). The drug is cheap and won't do anything bad so his thoughts are try it and see while we figure out what to do next. The clinic has an internal medicine doctor coming by in a couple of weeks, but we may have to do a phone consult before that. So, the point of the post is to look for any ideas or similar experiences that might give is clues on what else to look for. any help would be great.
  18. It appears that, just perhaps, someone tossed an onion in my yard. My girl got into it, but for the most part the whole onion was recovered. I'll be visiting all my neighbours tonight. So how would one go about training dogs to not touch something like that should they find it in the yard? And once I think I've trained it, how to proof it without using an actual onion? anyone ever do something like this?
  19. Sorry, no. I've never seen them at any tourny locally. You can send Dan an email and ask, he's the regional director for region 7 http://www.flyball.org/contacts_rds.html
  20. These guys are in Spokane.. http://www.spo-k9s.com/ And a few more teams in the Seattle area http://flyballdogs.com/locator.html#washington
  21. I use Truepanion and have been very happy with them. I have no deductible, 90% coverage on illness/injury and no limit on payout. Be warned though, that injuries received in dog sports are not covered, I'm not sure about any injury sustained with sheep. I made a claim a few months back for a tooth extraction, I had a cheque back in 6 days. That alone covered almost everything I've paid in so far..
  22. Mark, I'm not implying that there is no regard for the sheep, but the sheep are owned primarily as a requirement for furthering the ability to compete at trials, not because a living is made from them. Of all the sheep owners I know, the sheep are very well cared for. If I see all the new students at a local trial, they're all amped up about competing, winning this or that, etc. None of them require sheep for work or income, and they all want to buy property so they can train their dogs better/more frequently. Around here, stockwork is a sport, and nothing more...(to many/most people).
×
×
  • Create New...