BC Boards

Our border collie pup is dying....

I have a 5 month pup who is dying as I type. She's back in the vet hospital right now and the vet told us 1 out of 3 chance she may live. He said her heart rate is very slow and the treatment she had in vet ER in another town didn't fix the problem and they don't know what is wrong with her at this time but she was misdiagnosed with Giardia. So they are doing blood work. She's now vomiting and having diarrhea and is very listless. Her eyes are dull. We asked for her to be tested for parvo as well even though she tested negative at the other clinic/ER.

Your feedback on what could be wrong would be appreciated.

It's going to cost us over 1,000 to treat her. We have the option to put her down instead due to her odds to survive thru this is very low at this point. One out of 3 is her odds right now. She will have to stay at the vet hospital for a week or more.

We don't know what we will do at this point but by this Monday..we may know more what is wrong with her and can make a decision then and there. Can the breeder be held responsible for her vet bills? Since we just had her for a such short time. Can we ask the breeder to pay at least half of the bill or is it "our problem" once we have her in our hands?

So any ideas what is wrong would be helpful and we will decide by Monday to try fight for her life or put her down.

Our hearts is breaking right now... :rolleyes:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So sorry! I know this is extremely hard! I don't think that you can ask the breeder to pay for this considering the length of time you've had the pup and that most breeders only cover congenital defects. Did you sign a contract of some sort? If not then it's would be highly unlikely that they would be responsible for this.

Hoping you get some encouraging results after the blood work and a peace about what you should do next!

So sorry to hear about your poor little pup. As others have noted, sounds like distemper...if that's the case, then the odds are really against the pup. Did she have her shots on time, etc.? Not much to offer you, other than my heart goes out to you. I have had some pretty miraculous recoveries with my dogs, but they were all older and had more reserves to work with. SO sorry,

A

oh, I am so, so sorry and my heart aches for you. This is so sad.

I think no matter what happens, you need to check your contract and check your state for a dog lemon law and what it covers. 3 weeks is certainly not a long time to have a puppy and have it become sick. I will reserve all other thoughts until more is known...until then, my thoughts and prayers are with you and Asker.

I am very sorry to hear about your pup.

Whether or not the breeder is responsible depends on what she actually has, when she first got sick and your state's lemon laws. Since she was at least 4 months old when you got her she should have had her parvo and distemper vaccines already, if not rabies as well.

What about breeder's health guarantees? What sort of health issues does that cover? Just genetic problems, hip/eye problems? Could the breeder potentially offer some sort of help if the owner was able to produce records that all the shots were given at the right time, etc? I feel like that should fall into a health guarantee, maybe I am mistaken..

To the OP, I'm so very sorry. I'll be thinking about the little one.

My heart goes out to you and your pup as well. Looks like a gorgeous little guy.

All I can say right now is I hope he is properly diagnosed so that you can make an informed and humane decision.

Best,

Ailsa

I'm so sorry. (((HUGS))) I can't imagine going through something like that. :rolleyes:

I don't see how the breeder could be held responsible for something like this? Maybe someone could explain that to me through PM?

I'm so sorry for your little one. Keep us informed. We are keeping our fingers and paws crossed here. It sure sounds like parvo to me.

A very long time ago, I had a litter, sold 2 they were fine. The 3rd, they said it had parvo. I took one pup to the vet and sure enough it had parvo. I told my neighbors, who's pup was always in my yard. They told me theirs had just got out of the vet for parvo- grrrrr. WHY didn't you tell me when you knew I had pups on the ground? I don't know, was their answer.

The pup I sold, I gave them their check back- said I could not afford the vet bills, but would take the pup and take care of it myself. They chose their own vet. The other 2 left, I brought them through it. Just plain luck. The first 2 sold did NOT have parvo.

Best of wishes with the puppy. Let us know. If you know anything about pups, maybe you can administer the IV fluids yourself and save yourself a ton of money. I am so sorry.

So sorry to hear about your pup. Does everyone give their older dogs booster shots? If so when and for how long (our Aussies are 10, two at 4 yrs old; one at 5 yrs old. Do we need to continue giving these shots? We usually use the 5-way as Lepto isn't prevalent in our area. Thanks. Narita in AZ

How terrible for you. Two of my friends went through a similar experience with their BC pups. The vets thought it was most likely fading puppy syndrome possibly caused by a genetic mutation with recessive inheritance that causes TNS (trapped netrophil syndrome) which I understand to be some sort of autoimmune condition with variable symptoms, but the puppy fails to thrive despite medical intervention.

Here in Australia a genetic test has been developed to determine which dogs carry the mutation. I think it has also been seen outside of Australian working and show lines but my knowledge of it is sketchy at best except that my BCs parents were both tested for it before they were bred.

Anyway I send as much good thinking as I can for you and your precious pup.

we just got a fax tonite from the vet. She tested positive for parvo. She was tested last sat and it was negative!!

I'm just heartsick about it and we were told it will be 800-1500 to save her. The vet is going to do everything he can to save her. He said that her mortality rate is 30%. Right now my mind is not on the breeder but on saving Asker. That's all that's in my mind right now. We are going to pay the bill and your thoughts for her survival is appericated. WE just lost our border collie to lung cancer 5 months ago and can not stand to lose another dog again. We are still missing Aspen...and we don't want to lose Asker too.

We were told she was up to date with all shots when we got her...we noticed she had only one set of booster shots for her flight over here....so I doubt she even got her pravo shot! She was supposed to get her 3 month old shot but now she's sick so its too late.

Tell me...are we too late to save her?? What are her chances and what is her long term outcome??

we just got a fax tonite from the vet. She tested positive for parvo. She was tested last sat and it was negative!!

I'm just heartsick about it and we were told it will be 800-1500 to save her. The vet is going to do everything he can to save her. He said that her mortality rate is 30%. Right now my mind is not on the breeder but on saving Asker. That's all that's in my mind right now. We are going to pay the bill and your thoughts for her survival is appericated. WE just lost our border collie to lung cancer 5 months ago and can not stand to lose another dog again. We are still missing Aspen...and we don't want to lose Asker too.

We were told she was up to date with all shots when we got her...we noticed she had only one set of booster shots for her flight over here....so I doubt she even got her pravo shot! She was supposed to get her 3 month old shot but now she's sick so its too late.

Tell me...are we too late to save her?? What are her chances and what is her long term outcome??

I'm very sorry that Asker is so sick :rolleyes: I don't know what to tell you to expect as an outcome but if she wasn't vaccinated on schedule and the breeder said she was up to date then they should be responsible for your bills. She should have been needled at about 8 and 12 weeks with everything except rabies and at 16 weeks with everything else again plus rabies.

Sending lots of positive thoughts your way for her speedy recovery.

Thanks....

:rolleyes:

Does anyone know of any funding to help pay for the costs for her treatment? Seems tacky to ask here..but I don't know where to look. I goggled up "medical pet financial help" and couldn't find any. So I'm wondering if you know of any links that I could go to to see for funding help in Canada? I found one in Ontario only but none in B.C. Canada. Do direct me in the right direction. We just had put our dog to sleep recently and we are pretty much stretched to the max. But our main focus is to save her regardless the costs since we don't want to lose another dog....just need to know where to go for some help with the vet bill. Links would be appericated and feedback on where we can go from here would be appericated too.

Thank you....

I'm just kind of sad that I just joined this board on such sad note....and I'm hoping that there's a happy ending in 48 hours for Asker.

You can often make payment arrangements with your vet. Ask ahead of time.

Of note, the $100 dog I adopted from a shelter last March at 8wks old ended up being a $1,000 dog after all his vet care for various worms, bugs, etc including the onset of pneumonia. I am fortunate that I could absorb the expenses - it wasn't something I planned on for sure, but I currently have a very healthy (and very big) 10 month old now (he's the on of the far right in my sig pic)

Best wishes.

A quick question..does it mean that I need to dump all the dog toys especially the cow hoof on a rope, etc?? To prevent spreading it even though other dogs are vaccinated??

Well at least you have a diagnosis ugly though it is. I dont know about financial help but some vets will work out a repayment schedule with you so you dont pay in one hit.

If your other dogs are vaccinated they should be safe but parvo virus can stay in the environment for at least 12 months depending on the environmental condtions, you need to check this with your vet, so dont allow other unprotected dogs or puppies into areas where your pup has shed the virus. I would ask your vet how to deal with the toys. If your puppy survives I doubt they will be a danger to her as her illness will have boosted her immunity against parvo but they could pose a danger to any other unprotected dog.

I will hope that your puppy is one of the lucky ones and recovers, at least the odds are in her favour, poor little mite.