BC Boards

@Vickkers...or anyone else...

JUST IMAGINE tho if those people could come here and find the information they need to provide that home without feeling like they're being attacked. Maybe it would help that couch potatoe get OFF the couch and get moving!

You aren't going to be able to change how people post, you can just glean from their posts what you will and disregard the rest.

Lots of people manage to become permanent fixtures on these boards, so clearly the disagreements aren't fatal.

What's that old saying about pleasing all of the people all of the time? No matter how you couch something, someone is going to take offense at it even if you say it as nicely as possible. People just don't like being disagreed with.

RDM

Personally, I am horrified by the idea of a dog on a treadmill. Just as I am horrified by the idea of a human on a treadmill. There's more to being outside than moving your feet (although we sometimes nearly get mowed down by colourfully dressed sporties who think otherwise!). But that's just me.

The thing is, even if I had nothing against occasional indoors training, I'd still have be very, very wary of such an easy option.

I used to look after an old dog whose owners had a little garden. So when they were on holiday and I stayed with him, I didn't have to get dressed in order to let him take his dump at night. I could just open the door and keep watching the telly or whatever I was doing. I won't tell you the percentage of evening walks that we skipped that way :D ! And he'd have loved them :D . Now he's dead and it's too late.

We don't have a garden. I hate having to get up for our night walk. Maybe I freeze my behind off, maybe I've just watched a vampire film on youtube and dislike the idea of walking into the dark, or maybe I've fallen asleep and would like to remain that way. If there was a garden, I'd never be able to resist!

I love the night, seeing the stars, smelling the wind that comes down from the mountains, etc, and I'm grateful for the dogs forcing me to experience it, because there's no way I could motivate myself! :D I wish they'd force me to see the dawn every day, but they're not "morning persons" either.

Point being, I can only speak for myself, but I'm a lazy person. If I had the option to just stick the dogs on a treadmill instead of going out and doing something with them every time...hmmm! :rolleyes: I think "nasty weather" might turn out to be a very flexible term indeed.

:eyeroll:

Where is this magic fantasy land you people live in where no one EVER disagrees with you, especially when you ask for opinions? Can you go back there to do your whining about how mean these boards are instead of moaning about it here in the midst of people's threads?

I think putting a dog on a treadmill in lieu of exercising him is kind of silly - a couple people in this thread disagree with that idea, but you don't see me sobbing about being disagreed with.

Also, can I see this alleged list? I don't get online too much these days and I want to make sure I don't miss out on this week's target.

/sarcasm.

Your a reaL class act.

/scrcasm:

Wow, ok. Controversial post much? Let me clarify a few things...

I AM a morning person and usually get up at 4am so that I make sure that I get enough time to exercise the dogs in before I go to work. 3x a week I also take one or two of them running with me (1.5 miles) in ADDITION to running on the treadmill in the morning. As far as dangerous?? None of my dogs are tied to the treadmill and sometimes they decide that they don't want to run and jump off... I don't make them get back on. They know when they've had enough. We also walk EVERY DAY RAIN OR SHINE the 1.5 mile loop in the evenings...yes, maybe once or twice I've cheated and not walked when it's fricken freezing out...but c'mon, you can't tell me you've never skipped doing something you needed to once or twice? This is in addition to ball time, play time, training time etc. As far as not being mentally stimulating? You try running on a treadmill and not keeping your mind on it... if they get distracted, they stumble, just like you would.

As I mentioned in my other post, I do this in addition to all of the other things we do (including the Flyball team we just joined) because despite everything it didn't seem like enough exercise. My dogs are VERY high energy and feed off of the pack mentality. What do I do while the dogs are running? I lift weights or do yoga or groom one of the dogs not running or touch/massage to make sure they don't have any lumps/bumps etc (it's also good for bonding) ... right in the same room as them... and my dogs are happy. They don't run if they don't want to. When I get up in the morning one of the first things Zena does is run and get on the treadmill (before I've even turned on the light).... I'd say she looks forward to it.

I do agree that if you use a treadmill as your only means of exercise, yes, that's not really what you should be doing...but I'm also not going to judge. Everyone has to work things out the way they need to.

My dog trainer is the one who introduced me to treadmills...he said that dog parks were more for socialization than exercise (although my kids do love it and we go on the weekends). Before that I only saw them running on treadmills when watching the Westminster Dog show (they usually show the dogs in the hotel rooms and stuff and I saw that a couple of times).

I don't mind that people have differing opinions. It keeps it interesting. It would be boring if we all agreed with each other all the time. And I try not to take what people say too personally. Just because they don't think something is the right way to do it...doesn't mean that it is true for me and my situation. *shrug*.

Oh... and Pepper hates the treadmill and so she doesn't run on it. She just indulges in the rubbing or sleeps in as she chooses (she's a bit of a princess and likes to snuggle in bed with my husband in the morning).

To be honest, the only dogs I've hear about are pits being on treadmills. I must lead a very sheltered life. I've only recently thought about one for my dogs, because my son is selling his. As you know, I, myself have trouble walking. I however, do NOT have any trouble throwing a tennis ball. So that is the way we burn off that energy. Mind games and tricks and obedience and sheep work are great also. Tomorrow is another fun day, hopefully Bliss will get to try again.

I think most of the people on the boards are very nice and helpful. I try to be. I've only had a "run in" with one person. And that's not too bad for being here as long as I have. Even after having BC's since 1987, I still learn alot. I enjoy the pics and the people are great. Stick around for a little longer. It's addictive.

I'm certain some racing Greyhounds get treadmill work; Jasper jumped on one and stood there waiting when we had him near one the first year we had him. I know a few open handlers who exercise their dogs on treadmills in addition to stock work.

Cross Roads Search and Rescue of Illinois: Treadmill Training

I see it as a supliment not a replacement for outside activity.

My situation is such that I can get up in the dark/rain/whatever, and I do love being outside with my dogs. If I had a young child at home, as does the OP, who would need to be left alone in order for me to walk the dog, then a treadmill might be an option.

However, I live with Her Royal Whackiness, Shoshone, and I would be very cautions about introducing a dog with any tendencies to obsessive behavior to a treadmill. I'd also be very careful to limit the amount of time a young dog would run. The repetitive motion of even a couple miles a day at the same pace, etc, would be hard on young joints.

As with almost anything, a treadmill will work very well for some people, others don't like the idea. That's the way of the world.

Ruth

I've considered 'training' my dogs to walk on a treadmill. For supplemental purposes, as Mark said.

Here in Alberta, we often have extremely cold temperatures that prohibit anyone from going outside in the winter - myself included. Last winter we had about two weeks of -45c weather; it was risky to even let my two BC's outside for 75 seconds to do their business. Even Muggz, a husky/x, couldn't tolerate it for any extended period of time. Our regular daily exercise was completely out of the question for every day of that period of time. We played hide and seek, light fetch, tugging games and a host of others...and frankly, I would've gladly put them on a treadmill for a few minutes each. But I was even happier when it warmed up (to -20c lol) and we were able to resume our regular routine. :rolleyes:

Archersmom, maybe discuss it with your vet? Personally I wouldn't put a dog on a treadmill every single day (I'd much rather have a big, warm indoor pool for my dogs and myself...ahhh...dreams...) but I wouldn't discount it as a useful tool for occasional use.

And please don't leave! I'm not often logged into these boards (I Do Not Have Time!) but I've enjoyed so many of your posts! :D FWIW, these boards offer some ways that you can better your experience - there is an ignore option if someone specific is bothering you (setting this removes their posts from view, poof they never existed) and a Report button for posts/threads of an inappropriate vein.

I've tossed around the idea of using a treadmill as a supplement to keeping my dogs in condition during the winter months. During the summer my dogs are outside with me all the time. They move the sheep to pasture daily, I take them for their daily run to the creek to swim(they love this) and compete in trials. In winter its a different story(Wisconsin weather, need I say more?) If we get as much snow as we did last year there will be no way to keep them in condition for summer. I even had to snowblow some walking paths for my sheep so they had someplace to go.

They still get exercise outside, tug-of-war, some jolly balls to roll around, plenty of snow to play in, and helping me with chores no matter how cold it is. I don't think they mind the down time, they get to be in the house, sleep on their doggy beds, and just be around their humans.

As for long walks this year, it depends on how much snow we get. I really don't know how my dogs would react to running on a treadmill, but I might look into it only as a tool for conditioning.

Samantha

At one time I would have turned up my nose at a doggie treadmill but now I have changed my mind.

When I had my two Major Open heart surgeries...Tess and Nan didn't get much of exercise except when my mom would toss a toy for them until they wore out or she wore out!! I saw the difference in their endurance when we went to a trial. My endurance was gone also.

Anyways this Friday, I got back for another surgery since the first two failed. I will not be able to work my dogs for maybe a month. I want to get them a treadmill so they can stay in shape. In addition, they will be able to do chores with Jeff (spouse) but not long twitch work.

So those of you who have treadmills....what brand, cost, how did you get your dog to stay on it, how long of workout etc

Thanks

Diane

So those of you who have treadmills....what brand, cost, how did you get your dog to stay on it, how long of workout etc

Thanks

Diane

Good luck with the next surgery - 3rd times a charm!

My treadmill is a no frills, Weslo Cadence C32. Bought it used many years ago from a used sporting good store - $125.00 It tells you the speed and distance (all I wanted) and other things like calories burned, fat, etc...

It was real easy to teach them to run on it. I placed them on it, me on the side with the speed control lever, and slowly slid the lever till it started to move. Once the movement began, they drifted back wards with the belt, I held the lead snug, they don't pull against me so the snug lead had them walking forward. After they were comfortable with this I increased the speed, me still on the side. Then I finally moved to the front so they are looking at me through the front. I found staying in front kept them more centered on the belt. Slight lead adjustments keeps them in the center. I've never tied them, I had one that I didn't need to hold too. They just go and I stand there talking to them. It really was quite simple, from beginning them to standing in front was about 5 days. As I increase the speed they just kicked it up a notch when the lead had pressure on it. As they were used to it I increased the duration, the speed and the incline. Hey, Florida is flat, the steep incline on the treadmill was nothing though :rolleyes: I keep them at a strong trot - horse background, strong trot is for better conditioning.

Karen

WARNING: going slightly off topic here

I understand breeders who breed for herding may want to make sure their puppy doesn't end up chained in a yard, or crated 18 hours/day. However, I also looked at rescue. We're still considering it - may put it on hold for a while - but I can't say that process has been much fun either. "How many hours/day will you exercise the dog, and will you do dog sports with him?" Well, lets see...the foster home has him crated 18 hours/day with a half dozen dogs. Maybe a 50 year old man who has owned dogs all his life and who loves running and hiking MIGHT be better than where the dog is now? And what is this 'dog sport' nonsense? It is as though the only suitable exercise for a dog is weaving between poles, or playing flyball. Just running in the desert, throwing frisbees/balls, playing with other dogs...that isn't suitable exercise, only dogsports.

I actually would like to give dogsports a try, but I don't appreciate the assumption that no other home provides suitable exercise for a BC.

Maybe you have looked into other rescues as well, but I know you have been in contact with Arizona Border Collie Rescue (of whom I am a very active volunteer) and I would like to address your statements from that stand point, as a volunteer and from personal experience. I am not quite sure where the notion that you have to be in dog sports to adopt a dog came from, but it was a misunderstanding if it came from ABCR. I adopted one of my dogs with no sports in my past, a high drive dog at that, for hiking, walking, and playing frisbee & ball etc. The rescue had no problems. The reason that potential adopters are asked these questions is because some people's responces would shock you. Believe it or not there are people out there who apply for dogs that want to tie them up and have an outside dog, or whom would not take their dogs outdoors even besides the once or twice a day potty break. My foster just got adopted this week to a fantastic couple who do not participate in dogs sports. The rescue is there to help dogs and put dogs in the best situation possible, and if that dog would thrive in an environment where it is in constant mental training then how could you begrudge a person for wanting the best for the dog? Rescues are not there to look out for the best interest of a person. They are there to look out for the best interest of the dog. Arizona Border Collie Rescue has homed over 100 dogs this year, it would be impossible that they all went to sport homes. I certainly hope you are reffering to a different rescue because I can gaurentee if you are not than you perception of the adoption process is severly skewed and I would be happy to clear up anything that may have come across as muddled.. I also know of only a handful of people that foster with as many dogs as you describe and each one of them is outstanding in their relationships with the animals in their care. Your description of the foster conditions could not be from a foster in our rescue.

Now something a little more general from me to no one in particular.

It breaks my heart when I hear the way people attack rescues. Why don't you take in a strange dog and try and teach it manners. Why don't you field the calls from the local shelter and decide who will get to live and who will get to die. Why don't you, who thinks that rescue adoption criteria is ridiculous, give up all of your free time to talk to people, educate people, beg for donations, and pull dogs from the shelter. Why don't you try and motivate people to get off of their butts and help. If you can do it better than do it. Unless you plan on trying to make a difference all you do is bring the people down who give everything they can.

To the OP: I am very sorry to go off on a tangent but if this in reference to the rescue I work with I do not want misconceptions sitting out in cyber space to be missenterrpreted any further.... back to topic please.

Another off-topic

I'll try sending you a private message...if you don't get one today, post a reply and I'll post my 'gets 800 spam for every valid email' email.

I do understand the concerns of rescue, and was actually addressing a general and somewhat justified attitude among Border Collie owners. In general, the number of badly owner BCs has led to A) some people believing well bred BCs are uncontrollable, and :rolleyes: suspicions of those who want a Border Collie but who don't live on a farm with stock needing a herd dog. Good BCs (and good stock dogs in general) are both intense and disciplined.

I understand breeders being reluctant to sell a BC to someone they don't know and who doesn't need a herd dog. A lot of work goes into breeding good BCs - much more so than dog breeds that just show - and who wants that work squandered? I'll also say that a number of people who trial dogs were very good about helping me find a good breeder who would work with me.

On the rescue side - a lot of great work is done. Many rescue dogs have no herd drive, and that isn't a big issue with me. I want it (it is fun to work with), but don't need it in every dog. A good adoption is a mix of the right dog and the right home. Rescue folks should know the dogs. I know my home. It is the combination of the two that makes a good adoption possible.

I don't want to criticize rescue because it is a lot of work and fills a valuable role. I think it is mainly a communication issue, which is why I brought it up on this thread...it is possible to discuss treadmills and exercise needs without making it sound like a concerned owner up north is a bad person for considering the idea. BCs are pretty flexible dogs, and a dedicated owner can make some unusual solutions work just fine.

Getting this back ON TOPIC (ahem)....

Best place to get a treadmill is someplace like Play it Again sports. They typically have plenty of lightly used treadmills in great condition for a fraction of the price you'd pay for a new one. I got a very nice one for $200. I suggest one that folds up and has wheels for moving it. You also want to look at the width and length of the running surface to make sure it's large enough for your dogs. The dogs will drift side to side, so you want some leeway there. I gave some other tips in my previous post in this thread about how to teach it. One thing I forgot to mention though, is always keep the "kill" cord (emergency stop) in hand when working your dogs on it.

Good luck with it.

Getting this back ON TOPIC (ahem)....

Best place to get a treadmill is someplace like Play it Again sports. They typically have plenty of lightly used treadmills in great condition for a fraction of the price you'd pay for a new one. I got a very nice one for $200. I suggest one that folds up and has wheels for moving it. You also want to look at the width and length of the running surface to make sure it's large enough for your dogs. The dogs will drift side to side, so you want some leeway there. I gave some other tips in my previous post in this thread about how to teach it. One thing I forgot to mention though, is always keep the "kill" cord (emergency stop) in hand when working your dogs on it.

Good luck with it.

Yep, that is where we will probably get our next treadmill. This one came off of Craigslist and is really, really wide. I love it, because my boy likes to look around while he is on the treadmill... including behind him. Most treadmills we looked at are way too skinny for a dog.

Can't believe I missed this thread earlier. We exercise Diocese on a treadmill. It is a system that has worked really well for us. I would never recommend exercising solely on a treadmill, but I didn't see anyone advocating that. A year ago our vet recommended we go through their hydrotherapy program (kind of like dogs running on underwater treadmills), because Diocese has a LOT of trouble keeping weight off. He gets a ton of exercise, limited high-quality food with filler veggies, agility, some herding, etc. He is even on some meds right now; not thyroid, his thyroid is normal. Vet says he is just a "very, very, very easy keeper". I think I have met some ponies like him. They gain 5 pounds just from smelling dinner.

This, on top of his reactivity, so we can't just take him out for a run around the block whenever we want. Thank goodness, we live half an hour away from my grandmother's acreage, so we exercise him there every day. The biggest thing is making certain that they have sufficient mental stimulation. Exercise on a treadmill is just icing on top of regular outdoor exercise.

For training, he got on and walked beside me one day and I was careful to leave it slow for the first few days. I have to note that this shouldn't be tried unless there is a lot of room on the treadmill. Diocese and I fit on the treadmill side by side with a little room to spare, but hubby and Diocese? No way. I just started stepping off and he kept going. Nothing to it. When I taught my parents' retriever to walk on the treadmill for giggles, I just held him by the leash and stood by it. First with it off and then with it going as slow as it will go. Make sure the dog is already used to the sound and sight of a running treadmill before training though, could scare 'em. We usually max the speed out at a trot for D, but I know some people who will run and walk their dogs in intervals on a treadmill. Makes me nervous, but if your treadmill is long enough and you are present, go for it.

The absolute worst thing about having D on the treadmill? If there is anything in their bladder, they are going to need to go to the bathroom very quickly once they start speeding up. Don't know about other dogs but Diocese won't usually get off the treadmill while it is running unless something scares him. We have to watch for the hunching, looking around very quickly thing he does when he needs to go and ruuun to let him out. Otherwise he will have an accident while moving on the treadmill. Hasn't happened often, but sometimes the signs just aren't obvious. Naturally, taking them outside before treadmill work and a few minutes in helps greatly.

If you do decide later to start doing some exercise on a treadmill, make sure you pay attention to him. He'll let you know what he wants and needs.

Now, I'm going to get out of here before people start throwing tomatoes at my wall of text up there. Can you tell I'm bored at work? :rolleyes: