BC Boards

When is it too cold for outside play?

Guest maya's mom

Guest maya's mom

Here in Pittsburgh, we are in the middle of that nasty cold spell. The high today is around 5, and with wind chill, it is around -15. I'd like to get opinions on when it is too cold for your dog to be outside, even for a short play session. Usually in the winter, we go out for 30min to an hour or so, 2 or 3 times a day, and sometimes take a 30 min walk at night. We have started cutting back on the walk, b/c of poor road conditions, but I haven't yet had to completely cut out the outside play time. That being said, even the shorter outdoor play sessions, make me feel bad for Maya........I don't want her to get bored in the house. We do play frisbee catch inside, we chase her around, play hide and seek, and do a few short training sessions a few times a day. Am I right to not be outside right now? I guess I just feel guilty and don't want to have her get a lot of pent up energy, since she is used to running it off outdoors. Thanks.

I wimp out way before my dogs generally, but that said I will let them tell me when they've had enough in extreme weather. If she's having fun, not limping from cold feet or shivering, and you're game, feel free to continue your play sessions as usual. If you're like me and don't like the temps for yourself, just up the mental activity, maybe give a meal or two from a treat dispensing toy (kong, Busy Buddy line, treatball, etc.), and you should be just fine.

Here in Pittsburgh, we are in the middle of that nasty cold spell. The high today is around 5, and with wind chill, it is around -15. I'd like to get opinions on when it is too cold for your dog to be outside, even for a short play session.

We're in a cold spell here too in eastern Ontario with the temps being around -30 celsius (-22 fahrenheit), with wind chills colder than that. I've actually been really cutting Skye's time outside drastically, much to her dismay. I've been either taking the frisbee or ball with us to make sure she has a vigorous play for about 10-15 minutes, so that she gets warmed up and doesn't feel the cold, esp on her feet. This afternoon she played with a rambunctious Portuguese Water dog for about 25-30 minutes and then wanted to keep going with the frisbee but I had reached my limit :D . It means, as Erin says, that we incorporate more playing inside the house to keep her active and stimulated; hence the dreaded air-blowing rubber baseball that actually makes her :rolleyes:

:D

Ailsa

We're in a wimpy Massachusetts cold spell of single digits and teens. :rolleyes:

I think I've always been wimped back indoors long before my dog was ready to come in, until this winter when his paws seem to be really bothering him. One in particular must be sore or cut up; he picks it up regularly on some cold surfaces, but can tolerate running on it in others. Given that I seem more rugged than he is this winter, I'm watching him for signs of pain or discomfort and working around them. I

t is a problem with excess energy: even my 5-year-old, pretty mellow boy gets annoying after a couple days with no good walk. He keeps throwing toys at me and giving me big play bows, more or less demanding that I play with him. ::Sigh::

Mary

I am in SW Ontario and we are having a nasty cold spell and my guys have had little time outside in the past few days. I have been putting on the heavy cloths and taking them outside often but it does not take long that they are limping around with cold feet. I don't risk the cold with them so I keep them in. They seem to take the lack of activity quite well except Dave the youngster who thinks he should be into something constantly. For me actually this is a good break. I am getting some writing and work done at the computer and my best dog is healing from an injury. The rule of thumb for me is I will let the dogs stay out as long as they wish if all seems well. I watch them closely and when they start to show signs of cold feet I call them off. Quite frankly I cannot wait until spring and summer.

I wimp out way before my dogs generally

Same here! We've had -10 to +15 plus wind for the past few days. My dogs could still care less about the temp. They want to go out and spend quality time out there, but right now my limit is about 1/2 hour at a time. I picked up a side of beef ribs yesterday and will be breaking those out tonight to keep them busy for a couple hours!

Guest maya's mom

Thanks for the replies so far. I got some great outdoor gear for Xmas this year, so the temps haven't really been a problem for me. Earlier this week, two of Maya's paws got small cracks in them, and would bleed a little, after running around outside. We use Musher's Secret on them, and wash her paws off if we've been on the street, so I was curios as to why this happened, and started worrying about the frigid temps. I guess I will just keep with the shorter play times until this passes. I think next week is supposed to be more "normal" winter temps, so hopefully these few days will allow her paws to heal before we head out again.

P.S. Just got back from taking Maya for a car ride, and into two local pet stores. That's a good way to waste and hour, and all of the activity wears her out for a short little while!

Yeah, LOL. But I'm in SOUTH Alabama! Haha.

And I'm in Florida, and it was in the 40s here. Absolutely arctic as far as I'm concerned. I hear it might get into the thirties. BRRRR!!!! I hope it doesn't, or I'll have to drag the mango tree into the garage and cover the bromeliads.

(ie, I am wimpier than you are.)

We thought that it was too cold here in Durham, NC when it was 15 when I walked Fergie this morning. But she loved it. Romped and ran like a puppy - although she is now 13.

She can't understand why, in summer, I just walk outside with her, but, in winter, I put things all over my feet after adding another layer of slacks then put on a big bulky thing on my upper body and a thing on my head and stuff on my hands and a thing wrapped around my face. She goes out just the same in all weather.

Now, my brother - in northern New Hampshire - says it was -34 overnight. I think I'd stand inside the door and let Ferg go out on her own.

I think it's too cold if the dogs seem uncomfortable. If they're happy and playing they're fine. We've been having nighttime temperatures of around -30C or a little lower. By mid-afternoon it's been getting up to around -16 and gorgeous sunny blue skies. My guys don't care about the cold (they better not eh? They're sled dogs!), we go out doing chores and they keep active playing and wresting and rolling around in the snow. We're usually out for a good 30 minutes in the morning if all I do is chores, but often I walk part of our sledding trail with them (to check for horse poop on the trail and remove it). If we get to doing other stuff like sledding or if I let them run along while I groom the trail with the skidoo then we're out much longer. Tomorrow I think we'll be out most of the day, I'm hosting a sledding clinic for the Girl Guides and then a friend invited me to go sledding with her on one of the nearby lakes. It's supposed to be a high of around -14 to -17 tomorrow.

How much cold the dogs can tolerate depends on activity level. Most of mine have short coats and would chill if they were just standing around but they don't seem to feel it when they're running and playing. And of course when they come back inside they snuggle up all cozy on all the furniture. Until the next time I'm ready to go outside and then they're clamoring for more outside time.

We've been in the -30C for 4 days now. My dogs usually love the snow and being outside, but I can tell you they are quick to come in when the temperatures are as cold as that. These are dogs that are used to being exercised every day but they seem to be just fine with lounging about when it's this cold. However, good news on the way - we're going to warm up! YEY for -16C :rolleyes:

I saw a post earlier today about a product called Musher's Secret. It's a waxy balm that you can apply to your dogs feet, winter or summer.

Never too cold for the dogs in Idaho. It's "me" that hates to put all those clothes on to play. "Color me crazy" When it gets really cold, I WILL NOT miss a lesson- except lots of snow- etc...... I don't have a pick-up. I have a PT Cruiser. THAT"S difficult in the snow.

I didn't expect to get into this sport again with my health and no farm. But .........addiction takes you to places unknown.

Dogs feet can take it- well, here, it's either snowy or muddy. I prefer muddy- although it messes up my car. That's what I bought it for- some bag balm on their paws will help. Also that horse tape- I've used it on my Mom- LOL. Cheaper than buying it at the drug store. Comes in pretty colors, too.

My ex had me but bag balm on my belly when I was pregnant - no stretch marks, so I guess it works- LOL.

I figure if I am having trouble breathing and couldn't jog - then the dogs don't get to play outside.

I used to ride my bicycle to work down to -12C (10F) but I had a mask (-20C with windchill).

Usually -15C to -20C marks short walks, booties, and a fleece jacket on the older dog (that is without windchill).

I worry about the temperature of the air going directly into those wide smiling mouths (i.e. they aren't warming the air with their noses, and scarves would just be weird..... not that booties and jackets are).

I think it depends on what your dogs are used to and conditioned for. We have house dogs, actually couch dogs so they are pretty soft. Or perhaps I am just being soft on them! I know when the temperature or windchill gets down to -40C you have to be creative in the house. We were once in my brothers cabin and truly got cabin fever, 4 days at -35C. When my dog took a flying leap at my Dad's old dog while he was sleeping we knew it was time to go home to a bigger space - even though an entertaining wrestle ensued!

K

Kyla's feet are the wimps here. If she tries to walk without putting them on the ground, we have to go back. But it happens very rarely, what with everything being so boringly moderate here.

I'm still figuring out my dog's feet.

It's more than a matter of cold, for him: we went out on a packed powder surface last Thursday and Friday for more than an hour in single-digit cold, and he was fine. Running, leaping, playing. But yesterday it was in the 20s and snowing (I tell you, it's always snowing this winter!), and even with Musher's Secret on his feet, he was holding one up after 20 minutes or so. Salt and sand definitely have something to do with it, but so does the texture of the snow he's walking through. Seems like that one paw has a cut or sore of some sort, though I can't see it.

Until my expensive, ridiculous booties come, I'm working with cheap booties for road walks, and Musher's Secret for walks in the deep snow, off road.

At any rate, the temperature itself seems to not have too much to do with his feet discomfort. My discomfort, on the other hand...

Mary

I think the sides of Kyla's feet get cold more quickly than the pads themselves, because she also makes a difference between a packed snow surface and snow that she sinks into (doesn't have to be deep).

Here in Pittsburgh, we are in the middle of that nasty cold spell. The high today is around 5, and with wind chill, it is around -15. I'd like to get opinions on when it is too cold for your dog to be outside, even for a short play session. Usually in the winter, we go out for 30min to an hour or so, 2 or 3 times a day, and sometimes take a 30 min walk at night. We have started cutting back on the walk, b/c of poor road conditions, but I haven't yet had to completely cut out the outside play time. That being said, even the shorter outdoor play sessions, make me feel bad for Maya........I don't want her to get bored in the house. We do play frisbee catch inside, we chase her around, play hide and seek, and do a few short training sessions a few times a day. Am I right to not be outside right now? I guess I just feel guilty and don't want to have her get a lot of pent up energy, since she is used to running it off outdoors. Thanks.

Even though folks are focused on the cold (and with good reason :rolleyes: )...

Mental stimulation is a good thing...and can make for a tired dog.

Our cold snap finally broke!! I took Tiga for his first walk in about a week today. It's been -39 Celcius (-38.2 F) with the wind chill at the coldest here. In the mornings before Tiga would get back to the house from his morning outing he would be trying to life all 4 paws off the ground at once. LOL! We played lots of mind games like find it and doing tricks. I find this tires him out more anyway. Tiga adapts pretty quickly. The first couple of days are the worst, he's usually pretty restless but then he kind of gets into a different routine. Such a good boy he is.

For him it's mostly a temperature thing. His tolerence is usually about the same as mine. The general rule is no colder then -15C (5F) or less then -20C (-4F) with the wind chill. Any colder then that and he'll limp and hold up his paws. Certain textures of snow will make his limp so I'll stop and ask him what's wrong and he'll hold up the appropriate paw for me to take the ball of snow out from between his toes then he's fine again. lol.

Certain textures of snow will make his limp so I'll stop and ask him what's wrong and he'll hold up the appropriate paw for me to take the ball of snow out from between his toes then he's fine again.

That's cute and -- in a completely different climate -- pretty much what Senneca does. Here in the AZ desert, our issue is with thorns and cactus spines. When I notice a limp, I stop and she holds the afflicted paw up for assistance.