BC Boards

Sad news - and a heads up

Just wanted to let you know some sad news. My Fergus (6.5 years) died at the vet this evening. He got shut in the garage while I was mowing the lawn this afternoon. I didn’t know he was there, and by the time I went looking for him because I hadn’t seen him for a while, he was obviously in a bad way. I called my lovely vet, who met me down at the vet surgery, only a couple of minutes later, but by that time, Fergus was fitting. The vet gave him an anti-convulsant, and put an IV catheter in, then sent me home to look for what Fergus might have eaten. Turned out that what I had thought were potatoes were tubers of some plant or other (maybe dahlias) which someone had given me a while ago. I think he ate a whole one. Rang the vet to tell him, but he rang back not long after to say that just as he was about to do a stomach lavage, Fergus had died.

I feel bad because I left the tubers lying around, and because I didn’t make sure the dogs were both out of the garage before I went mowing, and because I didn’t go check for where Fergus was earlier. But as a friend just said, you can’t second guess everything in life. Shit happens, I guess. I’ll miss my goofy boy so much – he was such a loving dog and he made me laugh.

Barb - and a somewhat bewildered Kirra

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry Barb. (((HUGS))) Shit does indeed happen, but it must be so hard to be hit out of the blue like this.

Oh what a heartbreak! My deepest sympathies. This is such a wake-up call for anyone who has an older dog (as opposed to a puppy) that you wouldn't imagine could get into anything dangerous. But yet, you can take all the precautions in the world and sometimes fate steps in the way. Thank you for the warning: our hearts and thoughts are with you and your family.

Ailsa

Please accept my deepest sympathies. It's never easy to lose a dog, but worse when we feel such guilt. I'm sure he knew he was loved and that you did all you could for him.

Our guys don't go into the garage because of all the dangers lurking (antifreeze, tools, etc.) but they do go into my tack shed daily...which currently has daffodil bulbs and other garden related goodies that I am now going to move way out of reach.