BC Boards

Rescued Farm Pups

If they can eat solid food just take them now before they wander off and get killed. The food shouldn't be making them bloated, it's more than likely worms since from the sound of it this farmer does not believe in worming his dog. Poor babies need a warm, dry bed in a safe place.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hurrah for you for looking after these little darlin's. My thoughts would be leave them as long as they seem safe. As others have said, keeping the pups together till 8 weeks would be best, and when they start wandering and getting in to mischief (and danger) may be the time to get them out of there. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Kristin, Hoku and Gussy

Coccidea can cause this. So can worms. Actually, it can be pretty dangerous if it is coccidea particularly. Their being wet all the time makes me think of this too.

We had a similiar situation to what you describe - farmer wanted dog but not pups and we had to pull them at 3 weeks old. They were perfectly fine physically. A couple had wacky personalities, but I don't think being with their mom would have helped.

Go ahead and pull them if you can now, and get them to a vet. Diarrhea can be very dangerous in a pup this young.

Six months ago I got an 8 week old kitten that had been ill with diarrhea for six days. He was weak and not eating at the time. I fed him Pedialite by a dropper and then made a soup from Pedialite and canned kitten food. I dropper fed him that stuff for a couple of days until he was strong enough to eat. The vet treated him for worms and infection.

If you don't get vet help for the pups very soon they may not survive.

Originally posted by Allie+Tess&Kipp:

I think it is generally recommended to wait until a pup is 6-8 weeks old to take it away from the litter. Puppies learn a lot from each other, and from their mom, but if you can keep the puppies together (even if you have them without mom around) until they are 8 weeks old, that would probably be the best.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

Yay! My husband tells me that out here in Spokane, WA they now have a law that you have to keep pups with their mom until 10 weeks of age.

Hhhmm... I thought he didn't want the pups anyhow.

I may get chewed out for this....but here goes:

Also there wouldn't be any way of just taking them would there? I'm a sucker for any dog in need. I'd just say they must have wandered off...

If he says no, I'd take them home one or two at a time over a week or so. Say "Ya know, we just checked on the pups and there's one missing" each day or something. Cant say ya took em if they are starting to climb out or if they may be in an area where another dog or some sort of predator (owl or hawk or eagle?) can get to em

Well he said no and NO firstly to a vet saying 'i have never needed a vet before, they just want your money' and after having his animals cleaned and paid for by us he turned round and said he is now thinking of retaining them (we are going to have 4 very gutted potential owners) so the pups definately cant be removed.

Thankyou all for your time and help guys, will post if anything changes!

Can you bring a vet to the farm?

Explain the situation to the vet and ask if they would come out to the farm to take a look at the pups. Is there a time when you know the guy will not be around? Or even so, if YOU are paying then there shouldnt be any reason to deny medical treatment for the pups unless he really is just hoping they will die. He cant "train" all six pups. If he refuses the vet then there should be some equivilent to animal control in the uk. Denying medical treatment is animal cruelty. It may be time to get the law involved. Please dont give up.

Get to the RSPCA anyway. Start taking pix of the pups and their living conditions. Write down word for word, as best you can remember, what exactly your conversations have been with the farmer. Document how many times you've been to visit the dogs, how many times you've talked to the farmer, any expenses you've had for food, etc.

Show your 'journal' to the RSPCA and see if they will at least visit to see if the pups are getting even the minimal care they need. If there's an independant rescue organization near you, perhaps they could give you some ideas of how to work with the farmer to get him to give up the pups to you.

Good luck, you've taken on a really tough task. I hope the pups get handed over to you and the homes you've lined up.

Ruth n the BC3

My suggestion will not seem at all fair, given the amount of work and expense you've already put in. But the best thing would be to get the puppies in as simple and quick a way as you can. Perhaps you could offer to buy the puppies for some nominal amount. The farmer sounds like he is pretty cheap.

My second and less worthy suggestion -- would your girlfriend cry? Is this farmer at all susceptible to being made to feel like a hero?

I agree with the above suggestions to document the lack of care.

I know what ya mean about RSPCA, it really isnt much different in many places here in the US either. Had some problems with neglected horses and no one would do anything.

Anywho, I dont know what to say. If you can offer money and your GF will cry, give it a shot.

If not.. and he has decided to keep the pups, maybe sell them as working dogs. Maybe put together a packet of puppy care tips printed from online etc. Put together a puppy pack for him with the tips, maybe some canned food and some milk replacer that he can give to them mixed while mom i s out, maybe a deeper box or some sort of kennel he can lock them in while away to? If he can get the basic care into them, good food and a warm safe kennel, I'm sure they will be fine. Maybe on your last visit (while he is away) you could pump one last de-worming round into them all.

Lots of pup survive in these sorts of conditions. It's not ideal and certainly not the best way for them to be raised but, if you can get him in the right direction, then you may be able to ensure their survival.

Try what ya can, maybe he'll at least let you buy your own pup from him?

So what's goin on with these guys? Any new news?

Alrighty, Good Luck