BC Boards

Rescued Farm Pups

Originally posted by Beth G:

Not sure why what I said would make anyone angry...lol.

I didn't see anger in any of the posts. I saw it as an interesting, thought provoking discussion. I hope no-one took anything that was said as a personal insult, especially anything I said.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well... uh.... um....

People tend to get fired up about what they feel strongly about.

Please though when anybody does read these posts remember! we are not the ones in the situation like this!

It reminds me of after the Colmbine shootings, everybody asked one another, "if you had a gun pointed at your head, what would you do?"

You never really know what you would do until you yourself were in that position. to say anything else would/should not be taken at more then face value. Because there is no way to know. but to give another person grief because they say they might do something... Shame on you! because you yourself don't know what you would do if it were you facing that hard decison

This man and his girlfriend have done a WONDERFUL thing, and they went about it in a good way! (cheers for them)! and that is really all that matters!

Seems like you're doing fine now ...just keep on the right side of the old fellow , let him feel he's getting a bargain (which he isn't for 5 bc pups !!!), don't look too eager , but I guess that's too late lol ...

Anyway you're looking at years and years of happiness , love and a sparkling life .

My dog came from such a farm , had never seen a human being before I got her ,the vet said she'd need a lot of stimulation (haha), she still comes over all blushing when I hug her tight and tell her all I love her so , but does she love life and play and people and fun , she's just so eager and enthusiastic for everything (came on the boat today with me when I went rowing , she'll be coxswain soon !), I can still hear the vet saying she might be a bit dull , because of her first months in that lonely barn ... She goes to fetch the cows in a minute , gathers the handicapped people we walk with at the park ,

She knows my kids'names , also her dog friends'names , I can tell her where we're going and she understands , she knows where the frisbee'll go depending on the wind , she potty trained the kitten (haha that'll make Anda laugh), anyway please stop me bragging about this marvel or I'll bust the Internet :rolleyes:

cheers shelbsmum, but dont worry, i am quite thick skinned and didnt take any thing badly. Am sooo excited though, they are getting half my kitchen, and under the stairs, pretty convienient setup actually. Is there any way at all to start them off with toilet training etc? never really had young pups before, always have had older rescues in the past.

also i keep hearing about there joints, and impacts etc - obviously it will be a while before i take her (gonna keep a girl) running, but was just curious.

Cheers

I'm so proud of these folks for helping these puppies. I have read and re-read this thread and I can honestly say that I would have at first offered to buy the pups and work out the feeding/weaning with the owner. I think--like some of you do--that barring the offer he gave to drown them!!!, he was interested in money for them. It seems as the weeks went by, the farmer WAS caring for them, (sorta), and with help from the OP, the pups were coming along. BUT, if I saw that the puppies were VERY sick and if the authorities were not listening to my concern over the puppies, I would take/steal/rescue call it what you want, and very quickly send the farmer a check for the puppies. Odds are that would be the end of it. If he showed up and wanted them back, I would give them to him--knowing in my heart that I had truly done everything to help them. I feel strongly about this because he has probably killed pups by drowning before, and don't be surprised if Patch/Gypsy shows up in the spring with a new litter. My point is that we all try to mind our own business and live right, but there are some circumstances that we have to speak for those who cannot, and maybe the farmer will see that people are paying attention to how he treats his animals. I would also be willing to pay a fine--even go to jail--over something like this. With all due respect to the farmer, I understand that farm life can be hard, but I truly do not understand why some of these folks don't get their animals fixed and avoid any unneeded cruelty and suffering. Charlene