BC Boards

GETTYSBURG UPDATES

kelpiegirl

The stone wall part is what made me do some checking :rolleyes: I was there as a kid, on one of our family treks- we picked up some old bullets, etc. Gettysburg really is a must see for everyone. I am so happy to be going back.

Hence the "stone wall" in the middle of the field that does not run from one end to the other. Julie, there are enough sheep so that they only run once during the 1st go.

Mark

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philosophical question while we wait for more scores:

Which would you rather have, RT or DQ?

charlie

RT (unless the dog did the "right" thing for the situation--like grip--but the "wrong" thing for a trial--like grip). I wish someone were streaming the video--the updates just don't come quick enough....

Will they just be running until a certain time or up to a certain team?

I'm not a sport nut, is this how they feel when listening to the big championship games? IT's so exciting!

I hear from the top end there are lots of challanges that only they get to see. My best dog friend is setting the sheep. That's where she likes to pick the dogs she thinks about breeding hers to.

Oh yeah...I'd rather RT but a good DQ would be alright. If I think the dog did it's best then I'm happy no matter what!

BTW...Kathy's Jake is Mick's and Dew's Dad. Way to go Kathy and Jake!

Checking back soon

Kristen

Thanks for the answer to the RT question. This is exciting; just trying to imagine what is going on up there. . . I've been day dreaming (more than usual :D ) today. I think it makes it more exciting when I at least know a little bit of what might be going on in the fields.

What would cause a handler to not run a dog at all. I saw some names had lines drawn through them?

Thanks for answering this newbies silly questions. :rolleyes:

What would cause a handler to not run a dog at all. I saw some names had lines drawn through them?

Hi all,

I believe that the names with lines drawn through them (Penny Tose and Kate Ash) on the USBCHA webiste are "no shows". On the Finals website, it lists Penny Tose as a no show.

Regards,

nancy

Regarding RT v. DQ.....it depends, I'd rather DQ with a grip than stall out or get run off....best to go in a "blaze of glory" ;-) At least my dog, leaves the field feeling like a "champ". I'm not talking about a dirty grip....but an honest attempt to get control.

If my dog is in over it's head, struggling or a really bad thing is about to happen....or the dog just plain isn't listening or misbehaving....then the appropriate action is for the handler to excuse him or herself. Don't waste your dog, the sheep or trial time....just say thank you and RT.

I try to preserve my dog's confidence, not abuse stock and not abuse the trial......if you give all those goals top priority, then hopefully you'll make the right decision at the right time. Sometimes, things spiral out of control pretty quickly and the decision is made for you.

Heh. They decided I could be trusted with gate duty :rolleyes: Maybe it's cause I never shut up and talk to everybody. :D

Anyway I've hardly seen ANY runs because I've been stuck behind the tent alot but .... I've seen ALL the dogs. :D

And one extremly cute unmarried Amish guy with very well tailored trousers. Yes indeedy.

DQ. Beats the Long Walk any day of the week.

Ah, the Walk of Shame,

Anna

So, word from the field is that the sheep are tough. Guess that's fairly obvious. The lambs in particular are proving to be challenging. The draws on the field are heavy; any dog that doesn't hold the pressure is going to pay.

Time-wise, drawing out in the middle of the day has proved to be the kiss of death, or at least that was the case yesterday (started at noon) and today. First thing in the morning today was the time to run.

A

FYI... Joanne Murphy is posting the scores on the Finals web site on the Open Scores link.

Here's a tv clip that was shown tonight on a local station here in ole PA. Click the "Watch the e-video"

Unfortunately, this afternoon there were a number of "Walks of Shame" and a few DQs. It seemed that during the lunch break the sheep formed a union and went on strike! :rolleyes: