BC Boards

GETTYSBURG UPDATES

kelpiegirl

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whoops, it's getting interesting now- I won't be putting up any play by play- it is changing to fast!

Patrick Shanahan and Maria Amodei are so far way ahead of the pack. Of course we have LOTS to go. Will this be a sliding scale- that is, who gets into the semis? Or is there a pre-determined score that needs to be reached? I imagine the former...

I heard from a friend that the sheep are either stopping and fighting, or running like hell. Apparently there is a wall on the fetch line, making a dog-legged fetch neccessary, which also runs about 20 above the cross drive line, making it difficult for a dog to be the the right place to hold pressure. She described her dog as hopping the fence several times in an attempt to control the sheep on the cross drive. Sounds difficult. Also there runs a deep gully just before the set-out, and the dog has to cast out above it or risk a cross-over. The gully also plays havoc on the fetch, as the sheep and dog disappear, making the sheep more likely to take advantage by running several dozen yards off line in the middle of the gully, unbeknownst to the handler, before they all reappear and your fetch is ruined. So far, only Pat S. has completed the course this morning. I hear that they will stop at handler number 30.

here is what it looks like- basically the run order WITH scores. Runs are being put in descending order (according to scores)

USBCHA NATIONAL SHEEPDOG FINALS - OPEN RESULTS

1st & 2nd Go-Rounds – Commencing September 18th, 2007 - Gettysburg, PA

Judges: Colin Gordon, S. Wales & Alan MacDonald, Scotland

Open begins noon on Tuesday 18th - Handlers meeting 10:30 AM

Running 1ST GO-ROUND

NUMBER HANDLER DOG SCORE TIME NOW

9. Shannahan, Pat Riggs 136

(Dianne Deal)

10. Amodei, Maria Cato 131

13. Boyce, Dawn Tink 122

14. Whittington, Don Fionn 96

11. Glen, Scott Penny 89

3. Williams, Cheryl Toby 69

8. Dathe, Michael Trot 67

6. Billadeau, Renee Bette 41

1. Geier, Joyce Brass 31

4. Terpstra, Marilyn Gin 31

2. Duley, Nancy Jill RET

5. Robertson, Fiona Tap RET

7. Rogers, Craig Luke RET

(Duke)

12. Boudreau, Bud Peg RET

(Hayre Ranch)

15. Holcomb, Dean Star 3:29 PM

16. Berhow, Bill Mike

17. Washer, Bob Clare

18. Adams, Larry Raid

19. Knox, Kathy Jake

20. Levinson, Barbara Lass

21. Deschambeault, Roger Jet

22. Harvey, Janet Scott

23. Tesdahl, Linda Jaffe

24. McCaig, Donald Luke

That is where I looked and only the running order is coming up.

Wow. One person has completed it so far. WOW.

I heard from a friend that the sheep are either stopping and fighting, or running like hell. Apparently there is a wall on the fetch line, making a dog-legged fetch neccessary, which also runs about 20 above the cross drive line, making it difficult for a dog to be the the right place to hold pressure. She described her dog as hopping the fence several times in an attempt to control the sheep on the cross drive. Sounds difficult. Also there runs a deep gully just before the set-out, and the dog has to cast out above it or risk a cross-over. The gully also plays havoc on the fetch, as the sheep and dog disappear, making the sheep more likely to take advantage by running several dozen yards off line in the middle of the gully, unbeknownst to the handler, before they all reappear and your fetch is ruined. So far, only Pat S. has completed the course this morning. I hear that they will stop at handler number 30.

I just checked in and it's as Wendy put it - either a hellish head to head or bats out of....you get the picture :D . The sheep have to come over the stone wall on the fetch, which was a concern at first....now we know they are 3rd cousins to Santa's Reindeer and jumping is *not* a problem :rolleyes:

The fetch gates are rather close to the stone wall, so you've got to have them over and back under control fast. Not easy.

The wall I'm told is 3-4 feet high and about the same across.

Here's the latest from the Finals website...day one is finished.

Running 1ST GO-ROUND

NUMBER HANDLER DOG SCORE TIME NOW

19. Knox, Kathy Jake 159

16. Berhow, Bill Mike 137

9. Shannahan, Pat Riggs 136

(Dianne Deal)

15. Holcomb,Dean Star 132

10. Amodei, Maria Cato 131

13. Boyce, Dawn Tink 122

25. Mock, Anne Taff 105

14. Whittington, Don Fionn 96

23. Tesdahl, Linda Jaffe 93

18. Adams, Larry Raid 92

11. Glen, Scott Penny 89

24. McCaig, Donald Luke 69

3. Williams, Cheryl Toby 69

8. Dathe, Michael Trot 67

17. Washer, Bob Clare 60

22. Harvey, Janet Scott 57

6. Billadeau, Renee Bette 41

1. Geier, Joyce Brass 31

4. Terpstra, Marilyn Gin 31

2. Duley, Nancy Jill RET

5. Robertson, Fiona Tap RET

7. Rogers, Craig Luke RET

(Duke)

12. Boudreau, Bud Peg RET

(Hayre Ranch)

20. Levinson, Barbara Lass RET

21. Deschambeault, Roger Jet RET

DAY 1 FINISHED 6:00 PM

I have a report and some pictures at http://www.comebye.net

So far....

Site is gorgeous! Trial is running like clockwork so kudos to all involved in the organization.

Sheep are set maybe 450 yards back with a dip (blind) in front of the setout post. The idea is to fetch the sheep straight for about 100 yards to a post set to the right of the fetch gates, then come to the handler's left (come-bye side for the dog) and dog-leg it to the fetch gates. The sheep are either tough to lift (facing the dogs) or they book it to the handler's right back from whence they came. Pressure down the fetch line is heavy to the dog's come-bye side and most dogs are having trouble holding the line. About half way down the course and to the right of the fetch gates is a low (2-3 feet) stone wall running maybe 50 - 75 yards left to right. Most sheep end up coming over the wall.

Kathy Knox and Jake had a nice run and hold the lead. Maria Amodei and Cato also a nice run. Timed out at the pen but still managed a 131. Bill Berhow and Mike and PAtrick Shanahan and Riggs also had good goes and round out the top three.

There is a group of us who will be arriving Friday who would like to put up a canopy (10 x 10) to sit under (we are happy to share with as many as can fit). Do the people who went today think there is room? I have heard shade is rare and I burn super fast...

I'm home to go to work tomorrow (save vacation for other trials). Here are my thoughts on today.

The sheep are bring set about 450 yds away by rider and dog. Many dogs have had difficulty getting out there; some are watching the traffic that runs along the left side of the field while others are turning in at the stone wall when running right. The wall consisted of a rubble pile of rocks that is about 2 feet tall and 3 feet wide. The wall runs from about 20-30 yards to the left of center of the field off towards the right side of the field. There is a dry creek bed on the right side of the field and the stone wall comes to with in about 30 yards of that ditch. The left hand outrun has stretches where the dog is running blind while the handler cannot see the dog.

Once behind the sheep and the dog makes contact the rider usually backs out of the way and the sheep then try (with varying degrees of effort) to curl (bolt) to the right to get around the lifting dog. The dog must cut off the escape and this can occur several more time before the sheep turn down the field or yielding a stand-off.

About 20 yards down field from the set-out there is a swale which drops the dog and sheep out of sight if they are on line or off line to the left of the fetch line. The farther off line to the left the longer the sheep and dog are out of sight. After the swale and the dog and sheep are in sight there is a white post marking where the line veers to the left for the dog-leg around the wall. Most groups are heavily drawn to the right side of the field that many fetches do not make the dog-leg and end up on the back side of the wall. This stops the sheep momentarily; however, they have past the plane of the fetch gates. With a little pressure and patience the sheep will climb over the wall and continue down the fetch. The "straight" fetches are often narrow zig-zags; this is from the dog covering escape attempts to one side and then the other while having to push the sheep down the field.

Once at the post the sheep are willing to turn up the field; some groups will run while others must be pushed up the left hand drive. Often at the drive panels the sheep try to make a break for the top of the field and must be caught quickly or they will be on the other side of the wall which is about 20 yrds up the field from the cross drive line. Most of the sheep will run the cross drive and will try to escape up the field.

Shedding doesn't seem to be difficult; penning is.

Most runs have had at least one bad fault (except for runs like Kathy Knox); the faults have not been the same. I overheard one of the top handlers (I believe it was Bill B.) say that this is the most difficult finals fields he has seen.

Mark

Thanks so much for the updates. It sounds very difficult. Perhaps the sheep will "get with the program" by Friday? Who knows. Sounds like when you are running your dog, it is all about a very versatile dog, and a agile (brain and physical) handler. That phrase "One man (or woman in this context) and his (her) dog" seems to apply. Not for the faint of heart, nope, no-siree-bob!

I can't wait to get down there, and congratulate everyone for tackling, and standing up after such work. I wonder if there are any civil war artifacts out in that field. How many men lost their lives there, it was one of the bloodiest battles in the civil war. On Sunday they had a program on PBS about the battle at Gettysburg.

Perhaps these finals should be dubbed "The OTHER battle at Gettysburg"