BC Boards

GETTYSBURG UPDATES

kelpiegirl

The important thing about the walk of shame is that you must select a pace appropriate for the distance and terrain. For example, my friend decided, at the Kaycee trial, that his dog was no longer pleasing him, and that he would leave the post and run out there. Unfortunately, "out there" was about 200 yards up hilly cactus-covered terrain, and he made it about 50 yards before he thought he was going to need oxygen. The walk of shame became the holler of shame, conducted from a sitting position, and gasping in between bellows. :rolleyes:

I have done the walk of shame, and honestly, it's not that bad. I really don't see it as a pejorative, just the slang for "leaving the post".

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, where are you guys seeing the cut off for those who move on?? Is there a predetermined number of dogs that will move on or is it based on the scores?? A friend and I have been trying to figure that out.

Thanks,

Kathy

I was the last run on Wend and the in the 2 hours or so before i ran there were many DQs and RTS for dogs not being able to lift sheep, or loosing the sheep to the right side of the field. Blue did a lovely outrun and a nice lift...then he had to fight them 1/2 way down the fetch. He stopped them from running to the right and then he would move them some down field before the tried to run right again. I checked in a few times but i mostly just let him do his job, as i know he is so much better dog then i am handler. They gave up on that and when i tried to put them back on line twice they ran back UP the field. They gave up on that and they finally believed they could not get away from Blue. He brought them down the fetch and through the fetch gates.

I was so focused on a tight turn and as they came around i could see the lead ewe wanted to go where ever Blue wanted to take her. Focused on my drive Blue took them straight to the panel and through the panel..tight turn and i look up at the same time i hear the course director say "you just drove the fetch panel."

So my score says RT but i guess they could have put DQ just as well. I was devastated to let Blue down when he had given so much to bring those sheep to me. I had many people come up to me today to tell stories of this great or that that had done the same thing and it was nice to hear..but the only real shame i felt as i walked away from the post was that it was a shame i let the dog down.

I was thrilled today to see two Dist one CA gals Karen Wessinger and Marilyn Volpe have some beautiful runs.. and late in the heat of the day! GO LADIES

Lana Rowley

ps i put the cut around 125

Lana

THANKS so much for writing!!! I was wondering how you did. These sheep seem like real buggars. Wow. A true test for the dogs, there may be a "course", but just keeping them near the course, sounds like it was hard enough. Your dog isn't let down- he shined out there. He worked those sheep where they never wanted to go. I don't know, but I think the dog really knows when he's handed a bum steer, and makes good ol' hamburger out of it :rolleyes: Blue will always be #1 to me. I sure wish you had video of it.

I was the last run on Wend and the in the 2 hours or so before i ran there were many DQs and RTS for dogs not being able to lift sheep, or loosing the sheep to the right side of the field. Blue did a lovely outrun and a nice lift...then he had to fight them 1/2 way down the fetch. He stopped them from running to the right and then he would move them some down field before the tried to run right again. I checked in a few times but i mostly just let him do his job, as i know he is so much better dog then i am handler. They gave up on that and when i tried to put them back on line twice they ran back UP the field. They gave up on that and they finally believed they could not get away from Blue. He brought them down the fetch and through the fetch gates.

I was so focused on a tight turn and as they came around i could see the lead ewe wanted to go where ever Blue wanted to take her. Focused on my drive Blue took them straight to the panel and through the panel..tight turn and i look up at the same time i hear the course director say "you just drove the fetch panel."

So my score says RT but i guess they could have put DQ just as well. I was devastated to let Blue down when he had given so much to bring those sheep to me. I had many people come up to me today to tell stories of this great or that that had done the same thing and it was nice to hear..but the only real shame i felt as i walked away from the post was that it was a shame i let the dog down.

I was thrilled today to see two Dist one CA gals Karen Wessinger and Marilyn Volpe have some beautiful runs.. and late in the heat of the day! GO LADIES

Lana Rowley

ps i put the cut around 125

I always wondered why there is never video for the finals, best I could come up with is there is two many bleeding heart animal lovers, you know the silly kind. The ones that would try to put a end to trialing, because of the poor sheep being used.

Hi Lana,

I was sitting at my announcer post during your run and we were all gasping as Blue drove the sheep toward the fetch panels. I wish mental telepathy worked at sheepdog trials - we were all trying to send good vibes. Blue certainly had command of his group and that's not been an easy task this week!

There are some finals pictures posted on Sheepdog-L... more to come.

That is a bummer, Lana. I saw the RT behind your name and wondered what had happened. It sounds like Blue was being a good boy.

Okay, so 40 go onto the semi-finals. How many then go onto the finals??

Thanks,

Kathy

Hey, Lana! Bummer!!! :D But, you know that Blue has no shame--he fought with those bitches, and got them to do as he wished. So in the battle HE was fighting, he won. We know they don't give a rip about a course. Still and all, I wish you'd have had him drive the drive panels. We've all done it, but, I suppose if we had our druthers, we'd do it at some little local trial :rolleyes:

A

What is the highest score a dog and handler can get? The score shows Allen Hickenbottom and Vic with a 189.

Can you tell this is the first trail I've ever "followed"? I too really wish it was streaming. The video and the article that was posted earlier in the thread where great, BTW. Thanks for sharing those.

Thanks guys i guess i have to always learn my lessons the two by four to the head way, but Blue is happy as always. He is sleeping on the bed, ridding shotgun in the passenger seat of the rental, and going everywhere with me. The real world of kennels and traveling in a crate is going to be tough for him. We went to DC yesterday and the museums and memorials were incredible, this Gettysburg area is beautiful too. Going out now to cheer on Tan, Lil and Zac. Lana

Hello everyone,

It is uncomfortably warm and humid in Gettysburg today, but that isn't stopping some dog/handler teams from making outstanding runs. However, it has caused a few dogs to take a brief break in their run to find water to cool down, before continuing on. Today, five ewes are being used for each run, and they are working reasonably well. This morning, Tommy Wilson had a wonderful run with Sly, and briefly led the pack with a 195. Not to be outdone, Pat Shannahan and Riggs soon scored a 198. But Patrick's score didn't remain at the top of the list for long, as the next team of Bev Lambert and Bill received a well-deserved 205! Alasdair MacRae and Star almost topped Bev and Bill's score with a 204. Not to long after that, Bev Lambert and her eleven (?) year old Pippa scored a 202, putting her in third place with eight more dogs to run. The top seventeen teams will go into the Double Lift Finals tomorrow, which promises to have some outstanding runs. I have video footage of Tommy's run with Sly and Bev's run with Bill, and if I can figure out how to post a link to the list, I will do so this evening.

Regards to all,

nancy

Thanks, Nancy. I would LOVE to see the videos if you can.

Thanks for your reply, Paula! I also have videos of Alasdair's and Tommy's run from the Double Lift on Sunday. Now if I can just figure out how to post them!

Regards,

nancy

There was someone videotaping there...she got every run, but not the whole run, I think, just the sheds and the penning.

I didn't ask who she was, if she's still there this afternoon taping the Nursery I'll ask.

I think Tommy Wilson and Sly were amazing.