BC Boards

GETTYSBURG UPDATES

kelpiegirl

My friend and I agree that Bev's Bill should plead temporary insanity. On the last day he ran round the sheep and busted them up like a puppy on both lifts. It was not a good time to lose one's mind as the sheep in the afternoon were not being at all cooperative. It's too bad Riggs couldn't hear the whistles and had to retired. I had such a great time watching him on Saturday, especially his sheds.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband and I just got back from the finals spending Tues-sunday...sleeping in the RV at a syracuse rest station because we just couldn't drive anymore....only 2 hours late for work this morning!

The finals were great. Super well organized, great field, loads of volunteers, and some great runs to watch! There was no question the dogs that got in on Saturday in the top 40 deserved to be there...they all handled their runs wonderfully, some more wonderfully than others....but in the end very few if any lost their sheep like had happened earlier in the week. Not to say there weren't challenges...but what an education.

A lot of people sat on the side lines saying....I wonder "where" (not if) my dog would cross over on this course. All are motivated to go home and train some more.

Watching Alasdair's run with Star on Sunday morning was breath taking! He set the bar early. Tommy Wilson and Sly had a wonderful run as well.

I hope everyone that took pictures will send them in! I was too busy watching and didn't have enough zoom! The field was very tricky..I hope someone captured the sheep coming over the rock wall with the dog flying over behind!

Wish everyone could have been there...sorry I didn't get to meet most of the people on the board that were there...we should have had nametags!

Cynthia

I wanted to add...I had Bev and Bill in the Canadian betting pool (canadians with their gambling and beer :rolleyes: )

I have never Bev so upset, she held it together and finished her run well....Bill did have temporary insanity....I didn't win the pool... He didn't stop, circled the sheep on the second fetch, took them places they shouldn't go...I felt so awful for her...and my dollar I lost.

Cynthia

Just getting in very late on this as I shortly arrived home from 10 days in Gettysburg. That field and those sheep got the best of a number of good handlers and dogs. In general, the best rose to the occasion but many respected and experienced handler/dog teams were beaten or bruised by a deceptively simple-appearing but difficult field, and sheep that were tough and determined. Hot weather many afternoons did not help with the sheep's outlook on the whole business.

Sitting with judges like Raymond MacPherson, Alan MacDonald, Colin Gordon, and Don Hensley, and hearing commentary from individuals with their level of expertise, was phenomenal. They were wonderfully kind to chat with and ask questions, and very patient. Spectating with top handlers from the US and Canada, also with lots of commentary, was also an experience, and they were also willing to talk to and welcome a novice.

Hubert Holmes announced his intention of seeing that the Finals are held on a rotational basis throughout the country, East, West, Central. We may be fortunate enough to have them here in the East in another three years or so. I've heard some rumors of Belle Grove Plantation in northern Va, site of (I think) 1999...

A dozen of us enjoyed a dinner together Saturday evening. I wish more of you could have come.