BC Boards

GETTYSBURG UPDATES

kelpiegirl

Kristen,

I would love to hear your friend's opinions on stud dogs as they pass by her at the top! I am ever so slightly toying with the idea of breeding my bitch next year and would love feedback from someone there. I have not seen any dogs from other than the West Coast, except at last year's Nationals where I watched about all of them. Mine was a Nursery finalist there last year.

Thanks.

Carolyn

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carolyn

I will give you her scoop when we get a chance to really chat. It's hard to chat casue it's only her friend and her setting all the sheep. The friend only has one dog so she's is working her butt off, along with her setting partner. We only get to chat really quick. She's at the stage of sore bum from the horse back sets right now. By tomorrow or so she'll be much better, so she says! I can't imagine!

I do think that seeing the dogs on the top really does show you some things that you don't see else where. That's how she picked her last stud. Last time she picked Allen Hickenbottoms Vic dog. I think he won the best lift at the Bluegrass. She set sheep there too.

I'll pm you when I get a good chance to talk to her. If I forget Remind me!

She says all the dogs are really having some rough goes at the top. if the lift isn't started out just right it seems like those are the dogs that have to fight the rest of the way. She always comments on how Alasdir is training sheep all the way down the field and by the time he gets to the drive legs the sheep are trained. I can only dream of that much foresite. I'm still at the stage where I'm "hoping" things go good!

Kristen

Carolyn

I will give you her scoop when we get a chance to really chat. It's hard to chat casue it's only her friend and her setting all the sheep. The friend only has one dog so she's is working her butt off, along with her setting partner. We only get to chat really quick. She's at the stage of sore bum from the horse back sets right now. By tomorrow or so she'll be much better, so she says! I can't imagine!

I do think that seeing the dogs on the top really does show you some things that you don't see else where. That's how she picked her last stud. Last time she picked Allen Hickenbottoms Vic dog. I think he won the best lift at the Bluegrass. She set sheep there too.

I'll pm you when I get a good chance to talk to her. If I forget Remind me!

She says all the dogs are really having some rough goes at the top. if the lift isn't started out just right it seems like those are the dogs that have to fight the rest of the way. She always comments on how Alasdir is training sheep all the way down the field and by the time he gets to the drive legs the sheep are trained. I can only dream of that much foresite. I'm still at the stage where I'm "hoping" things go good!

Kristen

Thanks Kristen,

I will look forward to your friend's "views" from the top. I too am at the stage you are at trialing. I say that my dog is great until I start whistling then we drop some points! At this stage in my trialing I am constanting learning from watching my dog and am in constant awe of her.

Carolyn

awwww, with a 161 I guess they can skip a few lessons! :rolleyes:

I'm still trying to figure out what she means by training them the whole course. Mick's training of wayward sheep is not something they'd allow on the field! And I have no idea how to train anything that quickly!

Carolyn

I like the learning that we're doing, I'd just like to get out more so we have a bit more experence with different sheep. It's the ride not the destination, at least for me! When Mick and I were just starting out, I taught him to listen way to closely(not that he does). But now he's always looking for directions when his brain stalls. It's a whole nother ball game with his sis. I'm doing things way differently. Guess that's the case with all our dogs. You learn so much with each one! If I'd only known then what I know now....I'd be in OPEN lol!! But I've decided it's not the time it takes it's what I learn while getting there! BUt I would like to get there someday!

Kristen

She means breaking the sheep to the will of the dog without either pissing them off or letting them think they can escape or win--particularly important with these undogged difficult commercials. No surprise that Alasdair is a master of this. Watch Denise's "In the Mind of a Champion" DVD where he comments on one of his winning Bluegrass runs. It'll blow you away. The subtlety and detail of his thinking and analysis is mind-boggling.

Meantime, it's DQ and RT land all over again today, if I am reading the results right. So much for the early in the day theory.

A

Hello All,

There is an article in my local paper, The Frederick (MD) News Post, today about the Finals.

Here is the link:

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/...m?StoryID=65307

I hope that the link works!

Regards,

nancy

It really is so fluid- from one run to the next. I wish I could be seeing all of these runs. WHERE are the webcams when you need them????

I thought before all of this, it would be cool just to get to Saturday, now I think it's doubly cool, and somewhat unsettling, if you make it to Sunday, sort of like too much of a good thing? Talk about nerves and pressure. I think the dogs/handlers who do well on Sunday will be steady steady steady. I am not sure I could handle (literally) any of this myself!

I would find myself saying, um, Alisdair, could you um, run my dog for me? :rolleyes:

"Walk of Shame"? What the ?? are you guys thinking? These are all good dogs and good handlers who earned their right to be there. If they lose sheep it's just another day at the office with uncooperative coworker issues. No "shame" to any of it.

If things were always perfect we could pick the winners from home and save the gas.

Sheesh.

"Walk of Shame"? What the ?? are you guys thinking? These are all good dogs and good handlers who earned their right to be there. If they loose sheep it's just another day at the office with uncooperative coworker issues. No "shame" to any of it.

*whispers* I think they're just kidding about that... :rolleyes:

Glad you piped up. I don't think it is ever the "walk of shame". Sometimes, discretion is the better part of valor.

Julie

"Walk of Shame"? What the ?? are you guys thinking? These are all good dogs and good handlers who earned their right to be there. If they loose sheep it's just another day at the office with uncooperative coworker issues. No "shame" to any of it.

If things were always perfect we could pick the winners from home and save the gas.

Sheesh.

She means breaking the sheep to the will of the dog without either pissing them off or letting them think they can escape or win--particularly important with these undogged difficult commercials.

Yes I know that but how to do it is what I can't master....yet.

Heck, I've had sheep for almost 9 years and I'm still learning what's going on with them and their body movement, ear twitches, looks, etc. everyday.

I think the walk of shame is not really a walk of shame but more an everybody's either done that or worse (or not if we're talking about the finals) but it's more a "darn I wish it went better today and what did we learn for tomorrow" lovingly referred to as the walk of shame! No bad intended.

K~

So, now, more exciting than the individual scores, is the cut off moving and moving and moving. Anyone want to wager what the cut off score will be???

I hope it's 104 (that's Kelly Murnighan's score with Molly), but if I were a betting kind of person rather than a hopeful one, I'd probably put money on about 125

"Walk of Shame" is not what others think of you, but what you think of yourself when you contemplate your failures as you go fetch your dog up the field. Most people are looking upon you with sympathy, not criticism, as they have been in your shoes many times before. It only takes a split second for a good run to become ruined. How quickly one can descend into failure, is what one thinks about during that long, long, walk.

Robin-Arrg! Where are you getting Kelly/Molly's score? I don't see it posted yet.

Open draw

They're getting updated about every three runs, but you have to hunt and peck a little bit to find folks. Denise Wall and Mick just got a 97--and the cut-off moved up one. Looks like Scott Glenn or Renee Billadeau is running about now.

ETA: Given the time I'm spending watching the updated scores, it's probably a good thing it's not streaming video--that's all I'd be doing, I'm sure.

Anyone see Linda Fogt's run with Mickey? Must have been spectacular.....why oh why can't the finals be streaming....

I did. He and that sheep looked like flamenco dancers...a constantly fluid back and forth.

Ton o' guts, that dog.

"Walk of Shame" is not what others think of you, but what you think of yourself when you contemplate your failures as you go fetch your dog up the field. Most people are looking upon you with sympathy, not criticism, as they have been in your shoes many times before. It only takes a split second for a good run to become ruined. How quickly one can descend into failure, is what one thinks about during that long, long, walk.

Exactly. Thank you. Geez, I surely wasn't saying anything derogatory about anybody at the flippin' finals! Just been there, done that, know the feeling,

A