BC Boards

A request

Hi everyone

I have to make a request of you all. You all know I adore the boards and feel kindly (if not outright affectionately, in many cases!) towards the membership here. I'm glad to help where I can, and don't begrudge the (sometimes quite extensive) time I spend here answering questions and providing background info.

However, I DO work a high-stress, full-time job, including a significant amount of time on-call (during which time I may work literally 24 hours a day for two or more days in a row). Also, I am ONLY liscenced to work in AK. Moreover, (and here I know you'll think I'm being rash :rolleyes: ), I prefer to have a personal life, and not work 24 hours a day without pay. Therefore, I must ask you all, please please please do not email or PM me for medical advice. This is not to pick on anyone or make anyone who has done this in the past feel bad or guilty. I don't need any apologies and I REALLY don't want anyone to feel bad. What I need is to not be asked, after a 10 or 12 hour day (or more), to spend my leisure time working for free for people whose animals I can't even see. It's illegal, for one thing, and it makes me want to avoid the boards, for another.

By all means, post questions on the boards. If I have the time, the inclination, and anything useful to say, I'll answer there. If I'm sent PMs or emails, I feel obliged to answer them if for no other reason than to avoid rudeness. I personally feel it's pretty unfair to put me under the gun like that, and to ask me to use my hard-won professional skills for zero compensation. I have no problem volunteering my time and skills, for free, to help out at my own discretion. But since that constitutes volunteer work, I need to be able to choose when (AND IF) I want to do that. Posting on the Boards allows me that discretion. PMing or emailing me comes more under the heading of a demand, without consideration of the fact that I am being asked to work for free (and potenitally in an illegal and liscence-risking capacity).

In the past, Eileen has asked people not to "abuse the privelege", and I want to thank her for that. However, since this is still happening (possibly from newer members who didn't have the chance to read that post), I felt it was time for me to speak up. Henceforth, in order to be fair to everyone and treat everyone alike, I will have to decline to answer all PM and email requests for medical advice or information.

Like I say, if you have medical questions, and you want my input, post them to the boards and if I have the time I'll reply there. I'll do my best to support the boards with my expertise, but I can't (and would not, even if I could) do this as a second (unpaid) full-time job. Even I deserve time off now and again. I'm sorry if this makes anyone feel bad; that is not my intent. My intent is to preserve my own sanity. The alternative is for me to bow out of the Boards entirely, and while I don't know how YOU all feel about that, I'd be pretty sad. So, please, help me out here and make it so I can stick around.

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one would miss you on the boards and not just for your medical input. While it is greatly appreciated, I don't expect it. I enjoy your personality and personal experiences and really hope you won't be overwhelmed by medical issues.

Thank you for taking the time to alert people instead of leaving us. I hope you are able to stay with us for a long time and use the boards as a place to unwind to relax like the rest of.

Good luck!

Please don't go!!! Can you disable the PM feature so that you will not be bothered?

You are such a sane voice and valuable resource, and you've helped so many in your postings, that it would be a true shame to lose you.

Best wishes with whatever decision you feel you have to make!

I for one would miss you on the boards and not just for your medical input. While it is greatly appreciated, I don't expect it. I enjoy your personality and personal experiences and really hope you won't be overwhelmed by medical issues.

Thank you for taking the time to alert people instead of leaving us. I hope you are able to stay with us for a long time and use the boards as a place to unwind to relax like the rest of.

Good luck!

I can't say it any better than Bexie did. It's a luxury to have your professional input and thoughtful comments. Don't leave us!

My father is a retired physician and he was always asked for free medical advice at church, in stores, in parking lots, eating out in a restaurant, etc. (Ever wonder why doctors have unlisted phone numbers?) When I was growing up we never ate out locally, we went 25 miles to the next town because the hometown folks would ask him questions or show him sores, complete with pus. Made for an enjoyable evening!

AK, I'll bet you get asked a lot of questions in the course of your daily life away from your practice, so getting bombarded with emails and PM's is really piling on.

ETA: I find it worrisome that the "oldtimers" are becoming so aggravated with the Board. I have learned so much from their expertise and experience and when they start avoiding the Boards for good, we will find that we are going to be stuck with the "internet posers" :rolleyes: for our information source.

I completely understand where you are coming from, I just feel bad that it had to come to this! Maybe a little disclaimer in your signature would remind folks (or in your personal statement), that you are only licensed in AK, and that advice, for legal reasons cannot be given. I think it is good that you mention it though. And, by the way, you are working too hard!

Julie

Mark, maybe you should send her a lot of wine instead so she drinks a lot and is too intoxicated to give medical advice online? ;-)

I didn't know AK Dog Doc made wine. Sounds like an interesting hobby.

I'd give another vote for more pics of those dogs!

So I guess discount drugs are right out of the question?

:rolleyes:

Yeah, what Bexie said.

Edited to correct: Er, what Bexie said the first time. AND what Mark said. What're you making wine out of up there?

Thank you, thank you, you guys, for your understanding on this! I really appreciate it. I'd hate to have to leave out of self-preservation. I'd miss you and the Boards so much! It would officially suck. As for disabling the PM feature... I don't think I want to eliminate the NON-medical pm's that I send or get; maybe something in the signature line would be good, though. (BTW, hilarious [if slightly horrifying] image about being asked to view pus-infested sores over dinner - YIKES!) :D

As for the wine... I have yet to discover a legal way to ship it. It's very annoying. How much fun would Christmas be if I could mail you a bottle of wine? :D As for what I make it from, I usually start with a kit (so, grapes of various descriptions) but sometimes I modify the kit with other stuff - and then I enter those ones in the State Fair. (It's not right, IMO, to enter the ones that are strait from the kit.... that's not orignial work. But the ones where I mess with the recipe ARE my work, and therefore are "Fair" game, so to speak.) :D You can also make flower wines, berry wines, rhubarb wines, etc - all of which plants grow in abundance up here. Our growing season may be short, but it's violent. :D

Hmm, 4:30 a.m. here, maybe I'll go back to bed for a little bit before work.... (Don't ask me what I'm doing awake at this hour. I have no idea. Sometimes my waker-upper goes a little haywire.) :rolleyes:

- Oh, yeah: Discount drugs are right out. :D

Those of us responding so eagerly are probably not the ones PMing you, of course. But at least you know you are loved and not expected to give free medical advice. ;-)

Stick a sig on that says anything you say is your personal opinion and not legal medical advice. Always consult a local vet, blah blah blah. That way you have a nice little disclaimer and shouldn't be able to lose your license even if anyone was stupid enough to say "but I read it online and this vet in Alaska said it..." and try to make that hold in a court of law... And file any strange personal e-mails or PMs for help in the junk mail folder.

We like you too much to risk losing you to stress.

Thank you, thank you, you guys, for your understanding on this! I really appreciate it. I'd hate to have to leave out of self-preservation. I'd miss you and the Boards so much! It would officially suck. As for disabling the PM feature... I don't think I want to eliminate the NON-medical pm's that I send or get; maybe something in the signature line would be good, though. (BTW, hilarious [if slightly horrifying] image about being asked to view pus-infested sores over dinner - YIKES!) :D

As for the wine... I have yet to discover a legal way to ship it. It's very annoying. How much fun would Christmas be if I could mail you a bottle of wine? :D As for what I make it from, I usually start with a kit (so, grapes of various descriptions) but sometimes I modify the kit with other stuff - and then I enter those ones in the State Fair. (It's not right, IMO, to enter the ones that are strait from the kit.... that's not orignial work. But the ones where I mess with the recipe ARE my work, and therefore are "Fair" game, so to speak.) :D You can also make flower wines, berry wines, rhubarb wines, etc - all of which plants grow in abundance up here. Our growing season may be short, but it's violent. :D

Hmm, 4:30 a.m. here, maybe I'll go back to bed for a little bit before work.... (Don't ask me what I'm doing awake at this hour. I have no idea. Sometimes my waker-upper goes a little haywire.) :rolleyes:

- Oh, yeah: Discount drugs are right out. :D

My friend puts "vinegar" on the item list.

No reflection on his otherwise superlative product.

Rhubarb, huh? Interesting.

(BTW, hilarious [if slightly horrifying] image about being asked to view pus-infested sores over dinner - YIKES!) :rolleyes:

Great childhood memories! I left out the ones who added descriptions of their symptoms (vomiting, diarrhea, gas, etc.) in order to help him make his restaurant table diagnosis! :D

Glad Daddy was a radiologist and not a gynecologist!!!!!! :D Ewwwwww!

I have learned so much from your posts. I couldn't bear it if you left. - And just realized: bear & Alaska.

Of course you have a right to volunteer your volunteering. Not have it assigned.

I can see, maybe, someone whose own vet is unresponsive or something and who goes to you in a panic in an emergency. You know, without thinking - just running for help. But that would, rationally, be extremely rare. And answered with a virtual hug and sent along.

So please stay around.

Both of my closest friends are vets and face the same issue. Both are also very passionate about their devotion to the animals and I try to never abuse my priviledges. They are both way to precious to me as friends. I can always pay for a vet but true friends .....PRICELESS! :rolleyes:

That's bad. I'm so sorry that people are taking advantage. Hopefully, this post will help and you will stop receiving those. I'm still pretty new here, but I've enjoyed the posts. I agree with you, though. It should be by your discretion. :rolleyes:

I am actually appalled that anyone would find it okay to do that. I would never think to ask someone to do something like that. I also have a friend that is a vet (my vet, actually) and I would never dream of asking her vet related questions when not at the vet clinic for an appointment. It never occurred to me that people would take such advantage of you. I am glad you made this post, but what a shame that you even had to.

You do a very valuable service for all of us on these boards (both as a professional and as an ordinary person) and you should not feel obliged to anyone to answer emails and PMs relating to free medical advice. :D Don't feel for one minute that it is rude to not answer when someone takes the time to impose on you (no matter how innocent their intentions may be). The fact that you do feel this way just proves how big your heart is though. Sadly enough when someone is a professional they do tend to be bombarded by the public for "free advice". I would hate to see you leave the boards for this reason just like everyone else here.

Maybe something else you can do is type out a generic letter explaining that you cannot and will not give advice except on the public boards at your discretion and save it so you can paste it in replying emails and PMs w/o taking up so much of your time, along w/ the disclaimer in your signature.

Hope things get better in this department for you. It would be a bummer if you had to leave over a matter like this :rolleyes:

I am actually appalled that anyone would find it okay to do that. I would never think to ask someone to do something like that. I also have a friend that is a vet (my vet, actually) and I would never dream of asking her vet related questions when not at the vet clinic for an appointment. It never occurred to me that people would take such advantage of you. I am glad you made this post, but what a shame that you even had to.

What Sandy said!!!! Stay, ignore the ignorant. Say No lol. Its cathartic. :rolleyes: Much warmth and good will, Heidi (who would have at least sent money....lol. )

Those of us responding so eagerly are probably not the ones PMing you, of course.

As long as you don't think those of us who didn't eagerly respond *are* the ones PMing her, of course. :rolleyes:

Glad you got that off your chest, Doc. Too bad you had to, though. I'd miss you if you weren't around.

Okay, already! I'll quit pestering you for medical advice if you'll start posting photos of Raven! :rolleyes::D

We love ya AK Dog Doc, so I hope you can find a way to keep visiting here without the headaches.

Oh, and I'm sure you could disguise the wine as something else, or better yet, just deliver it personally.

J.

Ack dog doc

Maybe you should change your name to ACK....then it might scare people away.

Your help has always been appricated and generous. Thank you so much for anything you've said that has helped me or any of us. But your dr skills are not only what makes you so lovable. The wine helps but really it's just you!

I think my favorite thing is your stories of the wild AK (is that arkansas?) outback and your flyboy guys!

Don't go....drink wine and be happy!

KR in AR