BC Boards

A request

OK, so I think I probably did this once like 3 years ago when I first joined (I believe I PM'd to ask if something was vet-visit worthy). As soon as I hit the send button I immediately regretted it and wished I could take it back. I can't even remember what it had to do with (and I hope I appologized at the time). Then again, I managed to make a whole lot of board faux-pas pretty early on. :rolleyes: I would hope that would be the case for the messages you've been receiving as of late.

Anyway, do stick around AK - we adore you, and appreciate your presence here.

Wine? Did someone mention wine? I get 35 new weekly points tonight you know. :D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What everbody else has already said! I always read your posts, and I'd really, really, really miss both your personal ones and the medical information ones. I love the way you write - if you want another career, after veterinarian, winemaker, and I think there's something else, you ought to look into writing, particularly personal essays.

Hmm, how much of that homemade wine is an individual allowed to bring home with them? And how come I just saw at the UPS store Saturday a sign that said 'We Ship Wine'? Rhubarb wine sounds pretty yummy.

Ruth n the BC3

Ditto to all the above :rolleyes: However, I'll have to resist the urge to PM you about your winemaking :D I'm intrigued about your 'additions' to the kits. I started making my own wine at a 'do it yourself' wineshop last year but haven't branched out to making it at home!

I'm glad to hear you're going to continue visiting the boards. The first thing that popped into my mind when I read your post was anger towards the one(s) that pushed you to that point. After sleeping on it, I realize they probably didn't know any better. Now they do.

Like the others, I would miss you terribly. Your posts have always been entertaining and/or informative. I agree with Ruth. You could always have a career in writing.

Thanks for staying!

Perhaps you just need to change your username from AK Dog Doc to AK Wine Maker. Then, you'll only get questions about wine.

Sorry, I had to edit that. I have no idea why I said, whine instead of wine. Not fully awake yet, I guess. :rolleyes: It really was not a Froydian slip. I promise.

AK Dog Doc,

I hope you don't go but certainly could understand if you kept your distance.

I personally would like to thank you for your input when my Lili was first diagnosed. You sent a reply to my quest for answers that was very informative and appreciated.

But to those who were/are taking advantage of a professional on such a wonderful forum is just wrong.

We do need more pictures...................and I really like watermellon too and the wine sounds yummy!!

Cheers!

PS I have no idea how to PM and didn't know that feature existed! Learn something new everyday.

We wanted to ship a bottle of wine from Connecticut to a relative California. (Yes, we do have vineyards and some excellent winemakers in Connecticut.) At the UPS Store, they indicated that they could not ship wine, but could ship the item if I called it cooking vinegar. A clever way to get around the regulations...

I could just do with a bottle of homemade rhubarb cooking vinegar, I think. :rolleyes:

I am not the alchemist in my house, I will need to turn this idea over to the suitable person and then provide inducement.

Oh, and I'm sure you could disguise the wine as something else, or better yet, just deliver it personally.

J.

I work for FedEx Ground - we do ship wine, BUT there are certain regulations for it regarding what states it can originate from and what states it can be delivered to (can't deliver it in dry counties in the south), we can't change the address, or deliver it to an underage or intoxicated person, etc. AND all alcohol-containing shipments MUST be properly labeled with a certain sticker proclaiming that it contains alcohol. AND it must be shipped Adult Signature required. AND you need special permission to ship it. So yeah, a pain in the rear. . .

I don't even believe you can ship alcohol through us to Canada from the U.S., so I have no idea how it'd get from AK to the mainland...

We wanted to ship a bottle of wine from Connecticut to a relative California. (Yes, we do have vineyards and some excellent winemakers in Connecticut.) At the UPS Store, they indicated that they could not ship wine, but could ship the item if I called it cooking vinegar. A clever way to get around the regulations...

I don't know about at UPS, but here at FedEx if we discovered it was alcohol, we'd just send it back to you :D

And if you didn't write your return address, then the UPS Store employees would have a party without you! :rolleyes:

ETA I doubt you could ship wine from a Kinko's either - they're probably not authorized to send it. You could probably send it straight from the vineyard though somehow, if they are authorized to ship.

I don't know about at UPS, but here at FedEx if we discovered it was alcohol, we'd just send it back to you :D

And if you didn't write your return address, then the UPS Store employees would have a party without you! :rolleyes:

ETA I doubt you could ship wine from a Kinko's either - they're probably not authorized to send it. You could probably send it straight from the vineyard though somehow, if they are authorized to ship.

Oh jeez, cheese it...it's the UPS Cops. :D

I wonder what sort of cheese goes with rhubarb wine? I wonder, would you do a nut crusted soft cheese? Brie?

This thread is making me hungry. And thirsty.

Well shoot,,,,there goes the freebies. :rolleyes:

I can certainly understand where your coming from.

Vets don't make enough as it is, let alone giving away free consultations outside of your juristiction.

I enjoy your posts and sure don't want to see you shy off the boards because of some pesterbugs.

Hi AK Vigneron - let's be really classy here. Maybe you could try shipping Mark his 'supplies' disguised as 'dog tonic' :rolleyes: .

Seriously, it's such a shame you've been pestered. And like the others I do hope you're able to stay. How else are we going to hear the continuing stories of your crew - and the moose/meese? in your yard .... to say nothing of your generosity in posting explanations and clarifications of veterinary matters, for which I, for one, thank you - again.

Oh - and a fruit wine maker who speaks on the radio here has what sounds like a really nice recipe for rhubarb 'champagne' - yes, I know only the French can use that term, but it does sound more exotic than just 'sparkling wine'. Here's the recipe:

You need:

Rhubarb, lemon, sugar, vinegar and water. Plus a little waiting...

Method:

3½ cups rhubarb (cut fine)

1 lemon, sliced fine

3½ cups sugar

150ml white vinegar

20 cups of cold water

Mix and allow to stand in bucket for 48 hours. Strain & bottle.

Do not try to keep for too long as it tends to become very gassy, and, as with ginger beer, you may get some bottles exploding.

Thank you all for being so understanding! I don't think anyone meant to impose.... maybe people more just didn't realize what things are and are not legal for me to do, and/or didn't know about the demands of my "other" life. I really don't want anyone to feel bad. I just needed to set a policy, so that not answering medical PMs wasn't so much me being rude as me adhering to a policy that everyone knows in advance. (Mind you, this policy is just for medical PMs.)

Now, as for the wine....

I make mine at a little wine-making store also, but I sometimes alter the recipes with wine finisher, extra grape, flavors, various oaks, what have you. Some of the kits are so good it would be madness to mess with them. I was going to try a fireweed wine last year, but didn't collect flowers early enough in the season. What I really want to try is a rose wine. Imagine the color... and the bouquet! So to speak.

I don't know why, but every time I've asked either UPS OR FedEx they've always said it's illegal to mail wine. So I don't, because I don't want to be in Big Trouble. The wine I sent Eileen had to be carried in my mother's carry-on luggage and handed off locally, or that would never have happened. Hmmm. Maybe a courier service....

Anyway, thanks for eveyone's well-wishes, understanding and generous remarks about my "non-medical" charms. You guys are the coolest. :rolleyes:

As long as you don't think those of us who didn't eagerly respond *are* the ones PMing her, of course. :rolleyes:

No, I didn't. I don't expect everyone to be as active online as I am. I have no desire to point fingers at anyone. I only want AK Dog Doc to be able to stick around as long as she wants and enjoy the board as freely as the rest of us.

I am very sorry if anyone felt accused. That really was not my intention.

AK Dog Doc:

If the store you work with obtained a FedEx Ground Alcohol Permit, then they could ship wine direct to consumers.

(I am looking up the legal documentation/junk at work right now)

Hard liquor and beer may not be shipped direct to consumers, and must be shipped from licensee to licensee (store to store).

It appears that hazardous materials cannot be shipped to Alaska, but I see no mention of Alcohol (not considered a Haz-Mat)

Consumers who do not obtain a license to ship the alcohol can not, under any circumstances, ship it. I don't think you can ship it Express either, it would have to be Ground. But it IS possible - and if the store wants to sell things online, it might be something to look into!

AK Dog Doc:

My husband and I also make wine! In the past we've made 5 gallons of dandelion wine, you should have seen the number of flowers we had to pick! Plus you can't have any of the green in the wine, only the yellow petals so you have to pick them all out of their stems. Whew! Then we made blackberry wine from hand picked blackberries. It took us 2 summers to pick them and countless scratches and punctures from those darn thorns. Right now we have a 5 gallon carboy sitting in our kitchen fermenting a nice apple wine. It should be ready by Christmas so there's our presents for friends.

We've never tried any of the kits but were talking about getting one soon and giving it a shot.

Olivia

No, I didn't. I don't expect everyone to be as active online as I am. I have no desire to point fingers at anyone. I only want AK Dog Doc to be able to stick around as long as she wants and enjoy the board as freely as the rest of us.

I am very sorry if anyone felt accused. That really was not my intention.

No, not at all. Hence the "laughy face". I was kidding. :rolleyes: