BC Boards

OT - Scary Incident, Please Be Aware

Last night about 8pm (DH was gone to a ballgame) I was home with the dogs and I was in my fleecie PJ's because I was cold. The doorbell rang, and as usual the dogs went nuts, and I opened the door. There was a lady standing on the porch, trying to talk to me. I typically don't ask the dogs to stop barking when a stranger is there, and particularly not if I'm nervous.

It was still light out, and neighbors were milling around, so I stepped out on the front porch to talk to her. She said they (there was a black suburban down on the street) were opening a new store, and they wanted the opinions of the people in the neighborhood, and do I prefer Coke or Pepsi. I said Coke, and she handed me a 2-liter. She said to me, "Put this in your fridge, and we'll be back in a little while". I looked at her, and said, "What do you mean you'll be back in a little while?".

She said to me, "We'll come back and do a demonstration for you." When I asked what kind of demonstration, she said "Cleaning Supplies". She went on to say, "We just ask that you would put your dogs away so we could come in and do the demonstration". I just raised my eyebrows, and said, "I'm not interested tonight".

The guys in the SUV started yelling out and heckling, and I kept telling her I was not interested... and they kept yelling up, and finally I said "NO". So, she said she'd have to have her drink back, so I gave it and went inside.

9:45 DH was finally home, and the doorbell rang again. It was a man, and as I looked out I realized he was with those same people. Chuck went out, and said when the guy saw the dogs he sucked in his breath, and took a few steps back (Bree and Ginger look pretty vicious at the door). He said to Chuck, "I believe one of my associates is in your house!". Chuck explained that no-one was with us, and so the guy proceeds to try to talk Chuck into accepting a demonstration.

This guy says they're doing Kirby vacuum demo's. Chuck said no thanks, but did agree to take the guy's Phone Number. Chuck came back inside, and locked all the doors. We were discussing calling the cops when about 5 police cars pulled up, lights flashing (we didn't call them). They frisked the people, and turned out that one of the ladies was in our next door neighbor's house.

They let the people go, but made them leave. It was very, VERY scary. Regardless of what the police came up with, my gut tells me they were up to no good. I learned a very valuable lesson - I will NOT go outside again and talk to a stranger when DH isn't home again.

Home invasions are the big thing around here crime-wise these days, and that or theft were the first two things that came to my mind. Needless to say I didn't sleep all that well last night.

Just wanted you all to be aware to be wary of these types of things.

I am so glad you and your neighbors are ok. I don't answer my door unless I am expecting someone, period. My dh does, although I wish he wouldn't. The strongest guy in the world is no match for someone with a weapon.

I wanted to share what I learned at a "Kidescape" program last week. The guy said if anyone is trying to take you, drop to the ground and scissor your legs around the attacker's legs and your arms around their other leg. You ain't goin nowhere that way. If he shakes you off, stay on your back and crab walk away. It was a very impressive demonstration. My 5 year old could bring my big strong husband down in less than 10 seconds. If you are picked up (no chance for me ha ha, but kids...) you are supposed to flip to face them as quickly as possible, hug as tight as you can and cover their eyes. A thumb in the eye wouldn't hurt either, but you want to make sure they can't see. He said you could do this in the car as well, hard to drive when you can't see.

He also said, and I am using this as my new question of life, to not ask "why is this happening, what do you want" kinds of questions, but to always ask "How" questions. He says your brain will be compelled to answer and will help you get out of the situation. "How" do I get out of this trunk, not why am I here. Your brain will answer.

That being said, I opened the door for a firefighter (fire truck in the driveway) last week who was pushing for a tax levy. But he didn't look so happy to be there after I glared at him through the window and Scout sounded like a vicious attack dog. I felt bad after I saw his uniform and he said who he was, but better safe than sorry. Unfortunately in my small town, I likely have a reputation for unfriendliness to strangers (as does my dog), but I don't think I mind that one.

I promised DH three things.

1. No more opening the door for strangers. Period.

2. If my warning bells start going off, I will call the police first, and ask questions later.

3. We WILL get our house on the market, post haste.

Thanks for the tip Tammy, that's a good one!

Something similar happened to a friend of mine in Sanford several years ago but the ruse was a broken-down car. Doorbell rang late at night and a "frightened", breathless young woman was standing there. She needed help, etc., etc., so my friend's husband invited her in. She used their phone and then asked for a glass of water which he left the room to get. When he returned, she said someone was on their way to pick her up and she was going back to the car to wait for them. After she left, my friend (who was also in her pajamas) came into the room to find out what was going on and immediately realized that her purse was gone. (The girl had hidden it up under her very short skirt. Ewwww.) They immediately called the police, but she had gone right up the street to the convenience store, filled her gas tank, stocked up on cigarettes and used my friend's credit card. The alert clerk became suspicious and called the police and they caught her. However, even when she was in jail, she continually called their home and asked them not to press charges.

My neighborhood has a "No Soliciting" sign, although the police have said that is not really enforceable. I have a storm door on my front door that stays locked 24/7; that way I have something between me and the person on the porch. I love having a barking dog again because I can say loudly through the glass that I can't open the door because I don't trust him. (Jack would want to jump on them and kiss them but they don't know that.)

I don't open the door. I just yell, 'No thank you' through the window or prented I'm not home. At my current house, our front door is a full glass window framed in wood. Jaida is our self appointed guard dog. She slides into the door (hardwood floors) barking and posturing in a very serious way. And standing at 27" & 75lbs, it's pretty imposing.

One of the reasons I did wait to get a BC until now is because of their smaller stature. I wanted a 'big' dog. As the DH travels a bunch, and I live in 'quazi country' I'm glad I do and that she fully guards the property - everytime, all the time. Off the property, you'd never know she was the same dog. :rolleyes:

My friend Judy in Detroit had two men knock on her door wanting to come in. She opened the main front door but not the screen door. They claimed to be Mormon missionaries. Judy's dog, a German Shepherd, was with her and he was barking furiously at the men.

She was suspicious -- they didn't look like what she would expect of real missionaries. They kept asking her to put away her dog and let them in but she wasn't about to do that. By that time the dog had really seen enough of those guys. He went THROUGH the screen door and bit one man hard on the calf. He managed to get his leg loose and they ran away, trailing some blood.

Judy felt bad about the bite, so she looked in the phone book and checked information and found a phone number for a Mormon office in the area. She phoned them and told them what had happened. They replied "we don't have any missionaries working in your area."

About a week later there was a news report on the local TV station. Two men had been arrested within a half mile of Judy's house, following a home invasion robbery and rape. The report stated that one of the men had a recent bite wound on his calf.

Judy lucked out thanks to her intuition and the help of her dog.

I am glad to hear that you are OK and nothing bad happened. There are a lot of weird folks out there... and sadly, people seem to think it is easier to take from others than it is to work and gain your own wealth.

I have gotten lost trail running and knocked on a strangers door. I completely identified myself and stayed back from the door. If someone is pushy or positions themself in a threatening manner, just don't open the door!

I got lost once running (like an hour and a half off target), and I found this very nice lady who agreed to take me back to my car. She also brought her doberman along, who sat in the back seat, and kept his head between mine and hers the entire ride. :rolleyes:

I'm glad everything came out OK too. I didn't really have any major alarm bells until they came BACK. But, this experience was enough to remind me to stop answering the door.

I did just a while ago call the Kirby distributor in our city. He says they were NOT his people, but that their tactics were very typical of Kirby salesmen. Somehow that doesn't make me feel much better.

Yikes, that is scary. If they WERE honest salespeople what on earth were they thinking?! Insane.

I'm guilty of opening the door, I even held a long conversation with some mormons once. I tend to keep the screen door closed however, more for fear that the cat will get out... the bugger loves to bolt. And unfortunately, you can't leave Zeeke out when you open the front door or he will try to go through the screen door. He really doesn't like visitors showing up. Not that I mind the barking, but I honestly felt better with oreo at my side, barking suspiciously (but just standing there, trustworthy), than Zeeke who needs to be locked in the bedroom! I never felt nervous opening my parents' door because Oreo was right there with me, and she'd stand at my side unless they made one move towards me. And also unfortunately, Zoe is the LAST thing from a guard dog. She runs and hides, and in severe panic, will piddle on the floor.

Kirby people are incredibly tenacious, and I don't like their tactics in the least. Almost like a cult.

But we once found a good use for one, who'd pushed his way into my boarding stable owner's mother's home. Wouldn't you know it, that was the day the horses picked to charge through the electric fence - while everyone except Cathy's mom was absent from the farm. While we were rushing back from town to corral the beasts, the salesman, in true "I'll do anything" Kirby fashion, rounded up all five escapees and had them herded back into the pasture when we arrived.

I'll bet he just knew he was going to make a sale that day - but he was wrong.

Anyone who tries to get into our home uninvited is going to have quite a reception committee. First, the individual will have to get past two dogs, one of which is pretty fair-sized, and both of whom do not like strangers at our door. Then, the person would have to deal with the three of us (Mr. Smith, Mr. Wesson, and me). Finally, there is DW with her personal 12 gauge side-by-side. Not a pleasant prospect...

Can't read all the posts...at work and don't have time, but I had some Kirby people come to our house recently. I told them that I would do a demonstration because they were earning points for how many demos they did.

I also told them that I was in an extreme hurry because I had just gotten home on a friday night and the hubby and I were starving!!!!

They proceeded to come inside and take up 30 minutes of our time and they were no where near being done...and making phone calls on our phone - WHAT!!!!!!! So I asked them to pack up their stuff and leave...that took another 15 minutes - I was so highly irritated.

I'm a sucker for these types of things, but I've started to tell everyone that I'm not interested.

My dogs get on the back of the couch and poke their heads through the blinds and bark...I don't discourage it anymore.

LOL Bustopher, I have the same "friends" with me! I never answer the door unless I know them. It is sad that folks can't help someone out without the worry of them doing wrong. If I was broke down and needed to ask for help, I would just ask the people to call for me. I wouldn't go in THEIR house! LOL criminals gotta live somewhere!

LOl Bustopher. I'm not a big gun person. I've owned one and been ready to use it. Only now with small kids prefer my tools of old. I'm the lady with the cast iron frying pan. I know how to use it to fill the craw or bust up body parts. Don't get me started on the rest of my kitchen accessories.

Well, Im one of those people who loves to read true crime stories but the only problem is Im terrified when Im alone lol... I had to quit reading them. I lock my doors, every single one all the time. My windows are ALWAYS locked, unless its a nice breezy day, then once it hits dusk, they are down and locked. Richard Ramierez a serial killer was known to break into peoples houses by cutting up the screen of windows that were open.. YIKES. That has terrified me to this day, I will NEVER EVER EVER leave a window open. My DH on the other hand does and "conveniently forgets" he opened it, so the next morning I find it and flip out lol. And you'd think he'd be the most cautious he's from Guatemala for heavens sake! lol

We live in a heavily mormon populated place, and there are missionaries knocking at our door a lot. I dont answer anymore, and pretend Im not home. I ever so slightly open up the blind to look out and see who it is if I can. Lucky for me when the doorbell rings Riven barks so, they dont know if I have a BC or a pittbull in here lol. :rolleyes: Hooray for scary protective dogs!!! :D

Thank you for sharing all these stories. I think a lot of times people dont think it can happen to them. Im always looking over my shoulder if Im out alone, but if someone attacked honestly I'd be clueless what to do. I know if Im locked in my car with someone, try to get in a wreck... thats about it.

I think this thread is a good idea. Good for prevention and God forbid something happens, tips for preventing harm coming to you. Thanks a lot for starting this thread. I hope your night is better tonight.

Guns can be a useful tool, in a variety of circumstances, not all of which are related to self-defense. Problems start, however, when people who own guns do not know how to use them correctly, and/or lack proper respect for their capabilities. A LadySmith .357 Magnum is a great defensive tool for a smaller-framed woman; but NO ONE should own a gun unless they have been trained in how to fire it, and have taken a comprehensive gun safety course. DW is an expert markswoman (marksperson?), and can use a LadySmith (amongst other handguns) as well as a shotgun. Further, I would NOT advocate having a readily-accessible gun of any type, much less a handgun, if there are children in the house. At the very minimum, every gun should have a trigger lock under such circumstances; in my own case, while we had children in the house every gun had a part critical to the firing process disassembled (thereby rendering the gun useless) and stored in a locked safe until we wanted to use the weapon, at which point the weapon was reassembled only for the period that it was used, then disassembled again. In those days, I relied instead on the hope that I could remember enough from my martial arts training to deal with intruders...

I live alone with my dog. I used to feel guilty and stupid for being reluctant to open the door when I wasn't expecting someone. But not anymore. Now I realize that I don't owe anyone anything. All of my friends and family have cell phones and know to call me before coming over so that I will be expecting them. If they don't call first, they know to announce themselves loudly when they knock. Other than that, if I can't see you or I don't know who you are...too bad. Leave a note and I'll call you later. Luckily, I also have a very fierce-sounding BC who I don't discourage from barking and who will stand in-between me and any man that she doesn't know and growl. Trust your intuition!!!

I was sitting on the couch watching TV one night when I saw someone in a black coat run down my driveway, straight at the back door. I screamed, jumped up and RAN for the other end of the house when I heard the back door opening (never used to lock them). The dogs only barked once or twice then stopped so I came back to the front of the house. (I new my dogs wouldn't let a stranger inside.) It was my best friend's mother who had run into our driveway after a power line blew up and fell on top of her car. She was using our phone to call 911. She thought no one was home (otherwise she would have knocked) because there was no car in the driveway. She scared me to DEATH!

The neighborhood I used to live in was like that. We never locked our doors and if we needed something we could just go over to someone else's house and borrow it. I wouldn't think twice about going into someone's house to use their phone if I needed to. Then, maybe 5 years ago, a couple of guys robbed a bunch of houses. Then people started locking their doors.

"One of the reasons I did wait to get a BC until now is because of their smaller stature. I wanted a 'big' dog. As the DH travels a bunch, and I live in 'quazi country' I'm glad I do and that she fully guards the property - everytime, all the time. Off the property, you'd never know she was the same dog."

I thought the same. I was used to living with a GSD (who has since passed away) and a Great Dane (now very elderly) and was initially reluctant to adopt Violet because she only weighs 37 lbs and because I've never thought "gathering" breeds made very good guardians.

But Violet certainly sounds fiercer than any dog I've ever had, and the police officer who fostered her for two years told me that really it's the noise that deters criminals more so than the actual physical threat the dog presents. In fact, he says the Special Forces actually use chihuahua's as perimeter guards in some situations because their small size makes them both unobtrusive and elusive and they bark at anything that moves. :rolleyes:

Violet is the same as you describe your dog - off the property, or with invited guests, she twists and wiggles and smiles invitingly at people. But wow, does she reveal a darker side when we're at home and she thinks some person or critter may be intruding. :eek:

I don't know if she'd actually make good on her threats though.

Being from coastal Louisiana near New Orleans I feel I should warn u all to be careful as so many of the bad guys from no have moved out to other places like houston and atlanta and god knows where else. these are really rough people and they will be looking to get anything they can.

have all of you got the e-mail about the girl who stopped near lafayette and was approached by a man who insisted she had dropped five dollars?

Whew. Pretty damned scary what's going on out there. Whenever I read of a kidnapping, a break in, I always think they probably didn't have dogs inside the house. With my crew, if someone still wanted to get in, in spite of the barking dogs, not knowing if they'd get their butt torn up or not, then they're welcome to whatever I have. LOL.

They'd have to get past this:

Juta.jpg

One time, a few years ago, in the fall, after the time change---so it was already dark when this happened, I had stopped at the store to pick up some groceries on the way home from work.

When I parked in the drive, I looked up and several houses down I noticed someone walking in my direction several houses down. Not that it means anything, because it is a public sidewalk and that's what sidewalks are for. Although it was dark, I knew by the silouhette of this person that it was a young guy. Again. No big deal. I was exhausted, sportin a headache, and just wanted to get in. I picked up the bags, glanced up, the guy was closer. Got to the steps, he was a couple of houses away now. Got to the front door, he was at the neighbor's drive looking at me. Had the key out to open the door and he had turned onto my walkway saying "Miss, I'm selling --whatever", I thought Bullshit. He had nothing in his hands, and if he were selling something, he'd have stopped at the other houses he passed. He picked up speed as he approached the front steps. I never took my eyes from him, even when I opened the door. As the door opened, I saw the expression on his face change. His eyes got big and his jaw dropped. He walked backwards a few steps and turned and ran across the street disappearing into the side street.

What he saw was Lena, my caucasian mt. dog, standing in the door way, a huge hairy beast who when she lowered her head, looked like she had a neanderthal hump on her shoulders. LOL. Just a tinge of red glow to the eyes. Yep, he probably thought he met the devil dog herself. Bastard. I wish she'd have gotten a chunk of his butt, or at least pulled his drawers down the rest of the way.

No, I don't worry too much with my crew

This is Lena:

Stilltheprettygirl.jpg

There is more to fear from Juta, although to someone who doesn't know either dog, both with their bear heads look scary. That punk's expression proved that.

Wow Laura, that sounds scary. Thanks for the reminder.

Vicki, it looks like you have quite the "welcoming committee" at your house.

Missy is a bit shy, but has a bark I call her "German Shepherd" bark. It sounds quite impressive - like she is just about to eat you.

I take her along to the home where I work as a nanny, and really appreciate having her there.

She also has this low growl that she uses when one of my brothers comes in at night after I've gone to bed. No sneaking into the house for them.