BC Boards

Boards change

After mulling over the recent discussion about having a separate forum for off-topic threads, we have decided to follow the suggestion of changing the BC Companions forum (which is underutilized, since people with companion dogs generally post in the General Border Collie Discussion forum) to a forum for O/T threads. We will call it Coffee Break (thanks to whoever came up with that idea -- I should go back and look but I'm too lazy :rolleyes: ), and it will be for all topics that are not about dogs or livestock. I plan to move the currently active O/T threads to Coffee Break once it is set up, so look for them there, and please post future O/T threads to that forum.

We will also be setting up an "In Memoriam" forum, where people can post in tribute to dogs (and dog people) who have passed on.

We hope to be getting these forums set up this weekend. Thanks to everyone who volunteered their suggestions.

That's a wonderful compromise Eileen. I think it will likely meet the needs of most people on the boards. I really like the idea of the "In memoriam". I sure there will be many fine tributes there.

The new "Coffee Break" and "In Memoriam" forums are a great idea. These boards are very user-friendly. And the both new forums give the users a little bit more comfort. Thank you very much, Eileen.

So topics about other Dogs (maybe Shih Tzus :rolleyes:) would go where?

If it is something health related I would put it in the health section regardless of the fact that they are not BCs, but what about other stuff concerning other dogs - OT or not?

Maybe with the new feature of being able to put a description under the Topic name people could say there that is was non-BC topic, but still put it in the General section because it is about "dogs"?

I like the idea of an In Memoriam section!

Health issues was the main reason I specified that posts about dogs (even if they were not border collies) could still be considered on topic. What I'm hoping is that people will use their judgment, and ask themselves whether the topic they're posting about has implications for border collies ("my basenji was diagnosed with ehrlichiosis," "new method solved my lab's jumping up on kids"), and if so post it in H&G or GBCD respectively, or whether it does not ("grandkids got new boxer pup today"), and if so post it in Coffee Break. But we'll see how it plays out . . .

Great changes for good, Eileen!

I know by first hand how much work gives to moderate a forum, I don't know if there are other people helping you or how many they are, but maybe would be wise to have few persons moderating every section in more domestic issues so to leave you the more important ones.

E.g. many people post health issues in the General Board hoping more people will read their threads, but it has two side effects: it saturates the GB and as the Health and Genetic Board get underused, lees people visit it. Of course, nobody does it with bad intentions, most cases are just by new members a bit lost with the order of the forum and no thread should be erased, but a moderator could move it where it really belongs. Keeps the order and people get "educated" by the way.

I agree with you, Catu. I've often been tempted to move those threads, but I've been afraid the OP (and maybe others who posted to it) wouldn't be able to find them again. But since I'll be moving active O/T threads to Coffee Break and active on-topic threads out of Coffee Break now, maybe people will get practice in looking in other forums for threads that disappear.

Great changes for good, Eileen!

I know by first hand how much work gives to moderate a forum, I don't know if there are other people helping you or how many they are, but maybe would be wise to have few persons moderating every section in more domestic issues so to leave you the more important ones.

E.g. many people post health issues in the General Board hoping more people will read their threads, but it has two side effects: it saturates the GB and as the Health and Genetic Board get underused, lees people visit it. Of course, nobody does it with bad intentions, most cases are just by new members a bit lost with the order of the forum and no thread should be erased, but a moderator could move it where it really belongs. Keeps the order and people get "educated" by the way.

Eileen,

On other forums I read, a moved thread leaves a marker/link to the new location in the section where the OP posted it; the "f_moved.gif Moved Topic" icon is listed in the key at the bottom of the page for each section. BTW Great job and thanks for all your efforts here (and elsewhere)

Mark

Thanks so much Eileen for all your wonderful, caring efforts! P.S. the Boards are looking fantastic and tons of varied features too! And thanks ever so much for the " In Memoriam" section!

I also think the "In Memoriam" section is a great idea, although i canot bring myself to go there as i get teary eyed and as a 6'3" man that is not allowed.

Eileen I wasn't to sure of the new boards at first, I'm stubborn like a mule and fear change! But I must admit it tho! I really like it better then the old board. You get a scratch behind the ear from Foos... now don't you feel like a special girl? Of course you do, it's because you are! :rolleyes:

Thanks

Thanks Eileen for all the great changes! :rolleyes:

I think maybe it should be; you have to have a certain amount of posts before you can see and post in the O/T Coffee Break section. Just so we dont get people joining the boards only for the O/T and so it doesn't take over the BC discussion...just a thought....