BC Boards

A Tri can only have tan, not copper??

Wiley is a Tri BC. He has a pretty rich copper color instead of the tan. I was told by a herding trainer and a gal that has raised BC's that there is no such thing as a BC with copper markings. That Wiley must be mixed with an aussie. Now I have searched the internet and herding dog websites and have found several BC's with the copper markings and E-mailed them to her. She still doesn't understand how they got to be that color because in her mind there are only 2 colors B/W and Red. How do I explain to her how they were "created" anyone have a good genetics website? Here is Wiley

post-10305-1257171775_thumb.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LOL Yes MaryP as in that color! She would say he was an Aussie/Heeler (Because of the speckled nose) :rolleyes: I want to try to educate her but she is a tough gal that is kinda set in her ways. She has never seen a Tri so they don't exist.

I have a bropther and a sister who both think that way. If they do not have personal experience with it then whatever it is doesn't exist. People like that often thnk they are the be all end all of everything never allowing for anyone else's experience. Ignore her.

Hmmm. How can I say this nicely?

Your trainer doesn't have a clue what she's talking about! :rolleyes:

Border collie tri markings can vary from very light (cream-colored) to a deep tan/copper. I have one whose facial tri markings are very light, and his legs are more a coppery color.

539r893.jpg

Here's one example of a working BC with rich copper markings. Psssss Don't tell this Welsh Nationals competitor that these colors do not exist within our breed.

Kinlock Farm Photos - 2009 Welsh Nationals - A-Ll-Evans' Sam

IOW the people who told you this are full of ____!

Oh good grief! Where do people come up with this stuff? I agree with the others who have said find another trainer. The one you've been talking to is showing an extraordinary amount of ignorance, and that's putting it politely.

Tell Lark that tris can't have a rich copper (and since I have her pedigree and know her parents, I can guarantee you that she's a purebred border collie):

062.jpg

I wonder if your trainer would also be shocked to learn that they come in red tri too (although her tri markings are more on the tan end of the spectrum)? Also a purebred, registered border collie.

IMG_0875_edited.jpg

And Willow, whose lovely copper points have faded to a pale tan as she approaches her 13th year, though you can still see vestiges of the rich copper color she used to have:

beast1.jpg

J.

Wow... your trainer is clearly a moron, and probably shouldn't be breeding/training if he/she doesn't realize that Border Collies come in any color!!!!!

There is no such thing as a double dilute.

In horses it turns a sorrel into a palomino into a cremello/perlino or something like that, I do believe

There is no such thing as a double dilute.

Errr, Actually, there is.

"Contrary to a popular myth, especially held in England and some European countries, the white Collie is not defective. The only color that can occasionally result in a defective dog, is the double dilute. The double dilute lacks color pigmentation and sometimes can be deaf or blind or both. They are a result of breeding two blue merles together, thereby doubling up on the merle gene."

Julie,

If I may, that red dog is stunning. 13???

Oh good grief! Where do people come up with this stuff? I agree with the others who have said find another trainer. The one you've been talking to is showing an extraordinary amount of ignorance, and that's putting it politely.

Tell Lark that tris can't have a rich copper (and since I have her pedigree and know her parents, I can guarantee you that she's a purebred border collie):

062.jpg

I wonder if your trainer would also be shocked to learn that they come in red tri too (although her tri markings are more on the tan end of the spectrum)? Also a purebred, registered border collie.

IMG_0875_edited.jpg

And Willow, whose lovely copper points have faded to a pale tan as she approaches her 13th year, though you can still see vestiges of the rich copper color she used to have:

beast1.jpg

J.

Errr, Actually, there is.

"Contrary to a popular myth, especially held in England and some European countries, the white Collie is not defective. The only color that can occasionally result in a defective dog, is the double dilute. The double dilute lacks color pigmentation and sometimes can be deaf or blind or both. They are a result of breeding two blue merles together, thereby doubling up on the merle gene."

If you are going to quote an "authoritative source" it is appropriate to include a reference; it gives credit and allows readers to form their own opinions on the information and the source. This is especially critical for infomation found on the internet which is rife with authoritative sources.

Mark

If you are going to quote and "authoritative source" it is appropriate to include a reference; it gives credit and allows readers to form their own opinions on the information and the source.

Mark

Well, the authoritative source (your term) is me. It's quoted from an article I wrote several years ago. I have e-mailed the entire text to the Liz P and would be happy to do the same for you or anyone else who would like to read it. It has pictures in the file and they did not get included in the e-mail format used on the "used profile" page for the OP. My e-mail address is

crocutamon@sbcglobal.net

and I would be happy to send the entire file, text, pictures and all by return e-mail to anyone who wants a copy.

If you want info from any other source, I invite you to Google "double dilution merle" or "double dilution whites." It is certainly not necessary to take my word for it! There is a great deal published on the subject. Good hunting!