BC Boards

We let Buzz go last night

Late in the afternoon of the 23, not long after I posted that Buzz was doing well, I found a lump under his right ear. The vet did a needle biopsy Friday the 24th, and the results came back Monday that it was cancerous.

We'd hoped that Buzz's lethargy and some other things would clear up as he recovered from four months of pretty intensive treatment, but it was clear at that point that he was sicker than we had wanted to believe.

On Sunday, I noticed that he was reluctant to get up from a down, and that he was walking around with his tail under him. By Tuesday morning, he'd lay down at the park after 2 tosses of the ball. Wednesday morning he only wanted to make one sniff/pee/poop circuit of the park and then he headed for the gate. And the tumour under his ear was growing.

Terry and I talked Thursday afternoon about how long we would let him go on. All the signs were that he was in a lot of pain, even though we'd started him on Tramadol. Our wonderful vet had told us he would come to our home to euthanize him. We made the apppointment for yesterday.

Buzz took a ride with Terry to the post office, as he did every afternoon. We gave him grilled chicken for dinner and part of a butterfinger candy bar and some peanut m n m's for dessert.

We held him as Dr. Rief injected him, told him how much we loved him, how we wanted his pain to be over, and what a most excellent dog he was.

He was with us for almost 9 years, not nearly long enough. He changed us for the better. I'll be posting a tribute in the Memorial section in a day or two.

Ruth and Terry

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My heartfelt condolences to both of you, Ruth and Terry. Buzz sounds like the most wonderful of dogs and he was very blessed to have had this life with you. What a compassionate way for you to say your goodbyes.

All my very best,

Ailsa

I'm so sorry to hear this, Ruth. :rolleyes: My condolences to you - it is so hard to do what you did for him. I never met Buzz but know he would thank you for all you did.

I'm so sorry :rolleyes: . But he was lucky to have you, and lucky not to have to go alone.