BC Boards

My girl has a back problem

Gary M

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a little after 12:30 pm E.S.T. and I just got a call from my wife that they are starting the MRI which may take from 1 to 3 hours.

On a conference call with the doctor earlier (sometimes it really sucks having to work) after his initial exam he said that he has pretty much ruled out Myasthenia Gravis because of the Tensilon test results and the fact that she is hyper-sensitive on the rear leg reflex tests.

He is thinking:

1) Spinal Cord damage or lesion between T13 and L3

2) Spinal cord compression in same area

3) Soft tissue tumor

4) Possibility that she had a stroke

If they find anything on the MRI that is operable, then they will go into surgery immediately while she is still under anestesia.

If the MRI is negative, they want to do a spinal tap. That would get sent to one of the local people hospitals to be read and would take a few days for the results.

He also said that if they do not find anything and do the spinal tap, we would start so rehabilitative movement in her legs unless indicated otherwise. It has now been almost 4 days that she has not used her legs and we want to prevent as much muscle atrophy as possible.

She also regurgitated her food Tuesday night. She had eaten laying down and never even resumed a sitting poistion before she brought it back up.. The food was phlegm covered when it came up and looked like it never got to her stomach.

In reading up on canine MG, articles mentioned aspiration pneumonia as something to guard against and even though she does not have that yesterday after she ate, I held her back end up for about 10 minutes so that she was in a standing position and there was no problem.

Thats about all I know now.

Should know more somewhere between 2 and 3:30.

Guest WoobiesMom

Gosh, I'm so sorry, it must suck to feel so powerless and in the dark. Once you know what's going on you can start to deal with it, but this waiting period must be such hell. :rolleyes: If it helps, I've heard good things about the recovery of dogs with strokes so, after it coming back as nothing, maybe that would be the next best diagnosis. Hoping it's something easily dealt with and she recovers well. Our thoughts are with you guys!

Gary,

My heart goes out to you guys! I hope they find the solution soon.

If you do end up doing rehab I cannot praise the rehab center at MSU enough!!!! When Seamus had knee surgery we did rehab there and he LOVED going!!!

Prayers said

Jennifer

Back from the clinic.

The MRI was negative.

The did a spinal tap (Why do I think of Nigel Tufnel saying "But it goes to 11, its 1 louder") and results won't be back till Tuesday, but the fluid was not cloudy or bloody which is a positive sign.

We also did another MG injection test. She did stand somewhat and "walk" a couple feet with prompting, but it did not last long. The vet said while the injection test is not a 100% indicator either way, he is not leaning that direction.

He was encouraged that there was even limited improvement as he indicated that it shows there is neuro-muscular transmission and reaction.

He thought that what may have happened was that a disc fragment may have put pressure on a blood vessel and said that sometimes when that happens surrounding vessels will take up the supply "slack" after a week or two and everything returns to somewhat near normal.

So for now we are working on execising her legs and some resistance leg work. That part is not too hard cause Baby hates her feet touched anyway and will push against or pull away from your had to get her feet away.

He also said her hopping or dragging herself around by her front legs will not hurt her so we can let her do that when she wants to get from place to place.

I do pick up her back end to help her move when I can and she is minding that less.

So appetite is still good. She is tiring more easily, but its been a couple rough days at MSU and all day today at the clinic.

The clinic is:

Animal Neurology & MRI Center

Commerce, Michigan

www.animalneurology.com

I guess they are the one of, if not the only, animal MRI in Michigan and get clients from all the surrounding states and Canada.

I just wanted to pass that along in case anyone is interested.

I do not know if there fees are competitive, but for the exam, 2 hour MRI, outside radiologist reading, spinal tap and outside reading plus meds and supplies was $2800. Not exactly inexpensive, but I would consider it reasonable for the services so far.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

:rolleyes: Eeeeeesh,Your poor pocket book. Does she have insurance? I hope? Hope even more that if she does, some of this is covered?

::sending good BC juju your way::

Her insurance is me volunteering to work some massive OT for the next few weeks :rolleyes:

And while we were thinking of taking a cruise this winter (we have always wanted to and figured this woould be the year we would),

there is nothing I can see anywhere that is more beautiful to me than this:

Baby1.jpg

Baby2.jpg

Baby3.jpg

So I'll do pretty much whatever it takes to keep her around

She is totally beautiful, Gary - and well worth the overtime and the missed cruise. Like the others, it would be great if this was that sort of temporary injury thing which will resolve with rehab - well, you know what I mean - not great, but better than some of the options.

Continued good wishes for you and Baby - it's good that you're near such a wonderful facility.

She is one beautiful, and lucky dog to have you! I'll be sending lots of good vibes your way. At least the news you have so far hasn't been bad although I'm sure you would like a definitive answer for her problem. Best wishes to all of you!

Saturday update...

Have not heard back from the clinic yet, dont really expect to till Tuesday, but had some great results at home today.

She still cannot stand up on her own, but if I pick up her back end and put her in a standing position she can hold it for a while.

This morning it was only for about 5 seconds, but just a little while ago she held a stand for almost 30 seconds.

She is a little shaky and has not tried to walk, but after the way she was earlier this week I am amazed she is doing this well.

I think it is all the good thoughts, prayers and juju coming from all of you great people!

I can't express my thanks enough to all of the people on the board and the positive responses I've received from you.

May God bless all of you for your kindness and well wishes.

Guest WoobiesMom

I just went back and read your original post describing her symptoms. I have no dog medical knowledge and this is pure conjecture but it sure sounds like the similar symptoms my ex and I have had when injuring discs. I sure hope it is that because, at least with us, with the use of steroids, anti-inflammatories and physical therapy we made full recoveries.

Sending much juju her way and please keep us posted!

Saturday update...

Have not heard back from the clinic yet, dont really expect to till Tuesday, but had some great results at home today.

She still cannot stand up on her own, but if I pick up her back end and put her in a standing position she can hold it for a while.

This morning it was only for about 5 seconds, but just a little while ago she held a stand for almost 30 seconds.

She is a little shaky and has not tried to walk, but after the way she was earlier this week I am amazed she is doing this well.

I think it is all the good thoughts, prayers and juju coming from all of you great people!

I can't express my thanks enough to all of the people on the board and the positive responses I've received from you.

May God bless all of you for your kindness and well wishes.

Great news! I went through the same steps with Frankie. One day he stood for a few seconds, the next long enough to pee on his own. What I think helped speed his recovery was PT in water. He was small enough to put in the bathtub, so 3x a day I filled it with warm water and helped him stand while the water supported most of his weight. I did that for about 15 minutes and he hated every second of it :rolleyes: His struggling was good exercise though! He eventually graduated to a life vest and swimming in a lake.

Find your nearest dog PT center and get there ASAP. I know you may think your dog can't do much and you may feel it is "too early" to go there, but they want to see you as early as possible! PT can help and will speed recovery. Don't forget, muscle atrophy starts just hours after a neurological injury.

I am very sorry to hear of all of this... she's a beautiful girl, and very lucky to have you taking care of her and willing to do anything necessary. Poor girl. :rolleyes:

I'm glad they haven't anything *bad* so far, and I really hope the news continues to be good.