BC Boards

My girl has a back problem

Gary M

Gary,

My condolences to you and your wife. I know this hasn't been easy on you, but eventually you'll be able to think of Baby Girl and remember the good times and not so much the trouble she had at the end. She was a very lucky dog to have such caring people to call her own. I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

J.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I have had dogs and cats for as long as we can remember.

Since we met 23 years ago, I don't think we have ever had less than 5 dogs at any one time.

So, needless to say, we have many PTS over the years.

Most of them was when it had come to the end of a long and happy life with us, some because of sickness before their time. Sure we missed them and grieved for them, but this time it is different.

We have always considered all of our dogs special (particularly Bernie, who is "special" in that other way), but there was just something about Baby that made her stand above the rest.

Maybe it was the independence she learned from being on her own in the world for a couple years before we were able to trap her and make her part of our family. You had to accept her on her terms or she would just ignore you.

She was stubborn when she did not want to do something and an absolute brat until she got her way.

She knew that my wife and I ran the house, but she ruled the roost.

She was smart but more than that, she was resourceful.

You could almost see the wheels turning when she was thinking.

Her life was cut unfairly short and right now I'm feeling resentfull of that.

Not as much for us because we lost her too soon, but for her because there was so much of life that she enjoyed, except thunderstorms and fireworks. Given the time she had to make do for herself she had earned the right to a long and happy life with us. We gave her almost 5 good years, but she deserved more and deserved better.

It is now her time to wait for us at the Bridge with all of her old friends from our home and to make new friends with with those that are waiting.

Thank all of you again for your well wishes and sympathy.

Give all your guys a big hug tonight and tell them it is from my wife, myself and my girl in thanks for all your kindness.

High up in the courts of Heaven today

A little dog-angel waits.

With the other dogs she will not play

But she sits alone at the Gates.

”For I know my master will come”, says she,

”And when he comes, he will call for me.”

And her Master far down on the earth below,

As he sits in his easy chair

Forgets sometimes, and he whistles low

For the dog that is not there;

And the little dog-angel cocks her ears

And dreams that her Master's call she hears.

And I know when at length her Master waits

Outside in the dark and cold

For the hand of Death to open the gates

That lead to the Courts of Gold,

The little dog-angel's eager bark

Will comfort his soul while he's still in the dark.

My deepest condolences to you and your family, on the passing of Baby Girl.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

I am very sorry for your loss. I may not have commented ever, but I was following this thread with high hopes. You will see your girl again.

Oh Gary, I am so sorry. When I read your post, I got a knot in my stomach. This is so unfair. Well, if love could build a bridge, I bet you would be with her right now in heaven. I cry for your loss. We dog/animal people get the deep sorrow that comes when we lose our cherished family members. Here's a cyber hug for you and your wife.

Julie

Like Debbie, I didn't comment but was praying (to various helpers) and following the thread with hope. You did all you could. Do the fools who said she was only one out of eight feel that, if you've got four kids and one gets sick, you should just forget about it because you have three "spares".

I'm so sorry. Sometimes I wonder if some of the best lives are short because they are so special.

Gary,

I followed this thread keeping positive thoughts.

Words fail to express what my heart feels for you and your family.

You have My condolences and my respect.

Thank you for sharing with us and allowing us to share back.

Travel well Baby Girl.

Gary and Family, Im so sorry to hear of your loss, and can honestly say that I know what you are feeling, as I lost a best friend awhile back myself. He has never left our thoughts or our hearts. My heart goes out to you and yours. Respectfully, and Sincerely, Darci

Oh, Gary, I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. Baby Girl sounded as though she was a very special girl - and you guys are very special people to have given her the great life she had - even though it was too short. You have the comfort (small though it is) of knowing that you went beyond the call of duty in trying to find out how to help her. She will always be your precious girl, and you will treasure her memory. And you know, that all of us here are sharing in your grief, and like Vicki and others, remembering our own special ones who are gone.

Oh no, I've been on the road and just caught up with this thread. Gary, my heart goes out to you and your family. Baby Girl was obviously well loved. May you find peace knowing that you did all you could and more for her.

the author is Ben Hur Lampman

We are thinking now of a setter, whose coat was flame in the sunshine and who, so far as we are aware, never entertained a mean or an unworthy thought. This setter is buried beneath a cherry tree, under four feet of garden loam, and at its proper season the cherry strews petals on the green lawn of his grave. Beneath a cherry tree or an apple or any flowering shrub of the garden is an excellent place to bury a good dog. Beneath such trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy summer or gnawed at a flavorful bone or lifted head to challenge some strange intruder.

These are good places, in life or in death. Yet it is a small matter. For if the dog be well-remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, laughing, begging, it matters not at all where the dog sleeps. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked and the trees are roaring, or beside a stream he knew in puppy hood, or somewhere in the flatness of a pastureland, where most exhilarating cattle graze. It is all one to the dog and all one to you, and nothing is gained and nothing is lost .... if memory lives.

But there is one best place to bury a dog. If you bury him in this spot, he will come to you when you call -- come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death, and down the well-remembered path, and to your side again. And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel they shall not growl at him, nor resent his coming, for he belongs there. People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth the knowing.

The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master

Baby Girl will always be with you....

Gary, I'm so sorry to hear about Baby. She was a very special dog. I know she'll be waiting for you.