BC Boards

Where did everyone get their BCs?

(Jess)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first BC was a street urchin. My current BC, Gillian, is from a local shelter. I am dedicated to rescue. I also enjoy and appreciate pure bred dogs. Although my head can understand the desire to have a PB dog from a breeder, my passion for rescue would never permit me to do so myself. I would feel hypocritical.

Originally posted by dogaholic:

My first BC was a street urchin. My current BC, Gillian, is from a local shelter. I am dedicated to rescue. I also enjoy and appreciate pure bred dogs. Although my head can understand the desire to have a PB dog from a breeder, my passion for rescue would never permit me to do so myself. I would feel hypocritical.

Thanks for the response. I found myself today at a breeders house lookin at a litter of puppies (I went to meet the parents, not to get a puppy today) - as adorable as they were, I realized they would ALL be adopted...so, I think I am going to search only at rescues/shelters from now on, I know some papered bc's wind up in shelters even, so sad.

Originally posted by Miztiki:

My first was a surprise from my dad when I was still a kid living with him.

My second came from my local shelter a few weeks or so ago.

Both are (were) mixes.

What kind of a mix is he? I love BC mixes, esp. the BC mutts that come out looking like "Mad About You"'s dog, even tho I think s/he was a purebred.

Originally posted by GottaHaveBC:

I found myself today at a breeders house lookin at a litter of puppies (I went to meet the parents, not to get a puppy today) - as adorable as they were, I realized they would ALL be adopted...so, I think I am going to search only at rescues/shelters from now on, I know some papered bc's wind up in shelters even, so sad.

Please do those in rescue a favor that is very important to us. Please be careful to use the correct terminology.

Breeders breed their dogs and SELL the puppies. They do NOT offer their puppies for adoption. Not even good breeders, and there are some of those out there, place dogs in adoptive homes. They sell them. You do not adopt a dog from a breeder.

Rescue groups and individuals place dogs and puppies into well screened, qualified ADOPTIVE homes. We do not, in any meaning of the word, SELL them. When people ask us "How much is that dog?" every hackle goes up!

I realize that it may seem like an insignificant distinction to some, but words mean things. To a dedicated rescuer, it is a critical distinction.

And yes, approximately 25% of the dogs that end up in animal shelters are pure bred. Some breeds are more common in shelters than others. There are not a large number of AKC registered BCs around simply because BCs were only accepted/ dragged into the AKC in 1995.

Thank you.

My first Maggie was found near the woods, she had been dumped out... Currently, living her life out on a farm. I gave her up when my money was too tight ( in the red before and after paycheck) and I couldn't afford rabies shots. Tuck I got from a farmer and he was recently was killed by a van. Sam I found with a breeder.

I adopted two from a rescue, both rescued as pups directly from irresponsible breeders.

The third Border Collie I owned was purchased for puppy price as an adolescent, from a clueless owner who was trying to make a backyard ornament out of an amazing working bred dog (thanks to another irresponsible breeder with extremely good taste in bloodlines).

Next one was a pup PURCHASED from a responsible breeder, the litter being by an Open dog I had liked for a couple years and a daughter of my long-time favorite Open trial dog.

Next one was PURCHASED as an adult, trained Open dog, from same (my trainer).

most recent one was PURCHASED as a puppy from the same responsible breeder, after waiting about two years for that breeding - actually sired by that long-time favorite Open trial dog and out of a farm bitch from super lines, that I even had a chance to work here a bit and loved. I should have named Ann "Worth the Wait". :rolleyes:

Sammi came from her breeder as a 'permanent foster.' I'd run a mile these days from people like this breeder, but didn't know any better then. She turned 2 shortly after we got her, and will be 10 April 6.

Shoshone came from North Bay Canine Rescue after being in foster care a looooonnnnngggg time. She's anywhere between 10 and 12.

Buzz we heard about thru the rescue grapevine, he came home to us thru a pretty miraculous sequence of events on the day he was due to be euthanized. He's probably about 7 right now, and he is our 'We failed Fostering 101' example.

If I live long enough, I'd like to someday get an older puppy or young dog from a good breeder, after Sam and Shonie have passed on.

Ruth n the BC3

Holly came from a farm about 4 hours drive away from my house.Both parents were working dogs and she was my first bc but have grown up with them all my life through family members.She was 4 last week and she is one of the best things thats ever entered my life.I have trained her myself to a very good standard through reading books on bc and training them.She isnt a working dog but is the most amazing companion and best freind a man could wish for.Id reccomend a bc to anybody just as long as they understand and accept the hard work and exercise and mental stimulation a bc needs.And in return for all your hard work you will have a true companion 4 life!!!!!!

Red Dog came from a "breeder" in Idaho. She gave him to me when he was almost 6 months old because she couldn't sell him (all his siblings sold right away). He has CHD. He is now 8 years old.

Tweed came from a rescuer in WA State. He may or may not be half Aussie as there were two possible dads. His mum was apparently a talented cattle dog, but he inherited zero herding skills. He was 6 weeks old when I got him. He is now almost 5 years old.

Piper came from the Burnaby SPCA when she was about 4-5 months old. They surrendered her to us for fostering and for the first time ever, I failed badly and kept her. She is just over 2 years old.

RDM

Jazz (almost 6) came from a breeder who isn't breeding BC's anymore. Cricket, I purchased at 6 months old for the price they paid from the original owners (both disabled, CLUELESS about BC's). They had purchased her from a "breeder"...I use that term loosely!! :mad: I consider her a rescue, in loose terms, since I did pay for her, (the owners won't give her to me even though she likely would have been put down because of her health and personality issues.

Next dog or dogs...rescue all the way....

Pippin came from a private rescue 4 hrs from me. Saw his pic on petfinder and got him.

I was his 4th owner by the age of 6mths. He was abused badly and has limitations but I wouldn't trade him for anything.4 0f my 5 dogs are rescues, and all but Pip are older. My toy poodle was a puppy mill breeder, cage bound for 8 yrs. No one wanted her due to her age. Out of 62 dogs only the 4 oldest were left.

Luckily all were adopted and she is a great pet.

Go to a good rescue if you decide to go that route and make sure they have evaluated the dog you are looking at. Pip held a lot of surprises that no one told me about at the rescue until after I had him and dug for background. The biggest being he had bit his 8 yr old owner in the face. Good Luck!!

Bounce is from a working sheep farm about 5 hours from here. Tex is an adoptee from a sanctuary that was closing its doors. Sara is a Gsd bought from a breeder ( gsd rescue x 2 refused me because of my lack of tall fence.) Spencer (Yorkie)was given to me the year my son died. Say what you want about little yappy dogs - they exist to fill an aching heart with their cuddliness. Riley is her son, product of a planned breeding. I kept one pup, Dads family took the other.

Solo came from a private "rescuer" at 16 months of age. He spent his life from puppyhood to 14 months isolated in a kennel, and then passed through at least four homes in the next two months before coming to me. He's got a few screws loose but he's my soulmate, heart dog, and best teacher. I like to tell people that he has a fantastic personality but a lousy temperament. Solo will be six in May.

I bought Fly as a trained sheepdog on the advice of my trainer and with his help. She came "over the water" from the UK and is worth every penny (it took me a year to pay for her) -- not only is she a wonderful sheepdog, and a perfect dog for a novice handler, her temperament is to die for, her personality is unfailingly cheerful, and she's just so fun to have around, not to mention she thinks Solo is great, which most other dogs don't. Fly has been my "schoolmaster" when it comes to handling dogs, because Solo is really difficult to handle and I end up fighting with him a lot around sheep. She was three when I got her and is six now.

Skeeter, who is a Papillon, came from a friend who agreed to place him for his prior owner, so he is sort of a private rescue although I consider him more of a "rehome." I got him late last summer and he is now three. Before me he lost two consecutive "nice little old lady" type homes due to his activity level, domineering personality, and penchant for resource guarding. Here, he gets plenty of mental and physical stimulation, is kept in line by the Border Collies, and has learned to go to school with me in a little shoulder bag.

My next Border Collie will probably be a puppy from a responsible breeder, as I've never raised a puppy before and would like one to try and train up from scratch as a working dog. This is obviously going to have to wait until I'm in a different situation from the one I am now. I actually have my eye on a particular breeding that will hopefully take place around the time I'm ready (hee hee).

Raising a puppy, when you know what you're doing, is a beautiful thing to behold. You can shape and mold them and influence their ultimate outcome to such a degree that it's amazing. It's like the sky is the limit when you can start from scratch.

It's really hard work too, and it takes alot of patience, but if you ever do decide to go the puppy route, I think you'll do an excellent job. I think you have what it takes.

I raised a puppy 20 years ago. I raised another puppy 10 years ago. It seems that I raise puppies every 10 years, so *maybe* I'll continue with that trend. We'll see. :rolleyes: If it happens, it will be in the fall.

Jessica - I see you are in Tyler Tx. You might check out BC Rescue Texas. They are a wonderful organization and can help you find the perfect rescue for you.

I adopted Molly from them almost a year ago (she was 10 weeks old). It was a perfect match and we couldn't be happier. They were wonderful throughout the process and continue to offer support if/when we need it.

HTH, keep us posted.

Both my boys came from a working farm outside the little town of Stromness, here in Orkney (they're brothers, different ages). They weren't exactly bred , it would be more accurate to say that they occurred :rolleyes:

The BC with whom I grew up was rescued from a police pound back in the days when the police used to shoot unwanted dogs after 7 days; we took Glen in on his seventh day.

Snorri

:cool: