BC Boards

Dogs and Furniture

Just wondering if you guys let your dogs on the furniture. We just bought a brand new sofa and loveseat (smaller than a loveseat, but long like a bed.. hard to describe) anyway... They're a beigey yellowish color. Riven is black. So needless to say black hair is all over the one I sit in. I love to have her sit with me, but she's leaving black fuzz balls all over.

I hate the look of blankets all over sofa's and stuff like that to combat hair on the sofa. I just bought these brand new, these are my first new things since being an adult/married and I really want to be able to show them... Am I being stupid letting her sit on them and just not caring about the hair? It may not be as lovely on a sofa as on Riven, but I love sitting with her next to me... So Im wondering, do you let your dogs on the furniture?

I let our dogs on the couch. Actually, I wanted to keep them off, but one family member kept letting them on the couch and I didn't think it would be right to confuse the dogs like that. As a consequence, both couches in the house are completly ruined. I would recommend a cover if you are going to let your dog on the couch. That way you could just take it off when company comes over.

matt.

Maggie is only allowed on select pieces. The futon used to be off limits, but I'd see white fur when i got home from class, so I resorted to a sheet over the futon unless company is coming over. The loveseat downstairs is fair game because it's older and no one really uses it anymore. The couch at my mom and dad's is off limits since it is yellow and relatively new.

Dogs and cats are not allowed on the living room furniture at all, but the family room couch, beds, etc. are fair game. (Although I do cover the bedspreads with "dog blankets" to prevent rawhide goo from drying on the comforters. :rolleyes: ) Eating on the beds isn't allowed, but Allie frequently pushes this one when I am at work. Boy, do I hate finding dog biscuit crumbs on my bed.

Pottery Barn makes some nice slip covers (but I think they're kind of pricey. I found some at Pier One Imports that weren't too bad. You might have to mail order some (or take a trip in Boise).

Zoe and the cats are allowed on the furniture, Zeeke isn't except for the old futon in my husband's office. But in Zeeke's case it's not because of fur... it's behavioral problems. I'm going to be buying a slipcover someday... right now I use a blanket tucked in.

Zookie, shame on you! Wal-Mart has slipcovers! Tell Hubby to bring some home from work! Oops, he might be like my husband and come home with the ugliest ones....you'd better go.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do...pcovers&ic=24_0

ETA: If your Kitty claws your furniture, keep her claws trimmed. I only do the front ones and I don't hear that awful "rip, rip, rip" sound on my nice furniture.

Polly is allowed on our living room furniture--it is white so I must be nuts--or getting softer as I get older :rolleyes: I vacuum and spot clean if I need to. This dog or maybe borders in general, (she is my first border), seems to clean up so well that I haven't had much of a problem with hair or mess. I wipe her paws when she comes in from the rain or mud and she's good to go. There's a product called "soft claws" for cats--they're claw covers that come in sassy colors that keep cats from being able to destroy furniture. I would like to add a cat to our house and would never consider de-clawing. I've heard good things about Walmart and JC Penney slipcovers. Congrats! new furniture is fun! Charlene

I also didn't want dogs on the couch... BUT somebody thought i was being silly and let them up anyway... while our couch is a handme down it is still nice. I put a blanket on when they get up... and my fiance has the "throne" ugly man chair that he won't give up, that nobody sits in :D so i throw a blanket over that and it makes a nice doggy bed... i don't put the blankets on to keep it nice but to keep them from eating the stuffing :rolleyes::D

Mine are allowed on the couches here, but not at the parents. Kole learned this quickly. Couches=bed at home and couch=scolding at my parents lol. Havent had a problem since the first time I tossed him off at the parentals

Don't laugh-but we got a sofa just for our adopted ex-racer greyhound, Cashew, and she never climbed on another piece of furniture in her 6+ yrs with us. They are boney dogs and we didn't want her sleeping on the floor and the dog beds just didn't seem comfy enough for her. So she had her own blanket and couch...lol.

I just bought a new leather couch & recliner (today!). I specifically bought leather to keep dog hair from sticking to it. Also it's dark brown.

Dogs were previously allowed on our futon. They will not be allowed on new couch even though I LOVE letting them sit w/ me. River sits w/ us, Jaida sleeps on it at night.

I think we will keep futon in room for a while for Jaida while we train her not to go on the couch even when we aren't in the room :rolleyes: River will just have to conceed to her dog pillow on the floor.

I don't feel bad about it... it's really going to keep the hubby happy too.

I think if I was a recluse living alone w/ the dogs, I'd let them on the couch no matter what

Not letting them on the couch has nothing to do with a dominance issue. River always 'asks' to be let up, btw.

the furniture in my place is Pearls, I have to ask if i can use the couch! Luckily Pearl is a very clean dog and minor maintenance keeps the furniture in decent shape. I also have many friends that work at local resorts and when they redo the decor I get "new" slightly broken in furniture for the price of going to pick it up.

I have just given up. I did not want Zoey on the furniture, but DH would let her up. So I lost the battle. We bought a new ottoman that I love and paid too much for. So I went out and got Zoey a new bed to put next to the couch. Well she seems to think it is not nearly cushy enough. Thus if we tell her to get on her bed, she hops up on the ottoman. I now own the world's most expensive dog bed.

Mine gets on furniture without a problem. He also gets down when asked. Only to wait a few seconds and jump up again, thinking that maybe we forgot what we just asked him :D

He had to stay with a friend of ours for an afternoon, and he told Ouzo not to get on his bed. Well, Ouzo understood that perfectly, but didn't quite agree with those rules :rolleyes: So he kept staring at our friend, and putting one paw, then the other, and so on, on the bed, as if to show him "Look, I'm not ON the bed, it's just my paw, that doesn't count, does it?! ".

The couch is some sort of suede which doesn't get hairs to cling to it, and it can be wiped realy easy. The one thing it's forbidden is to bring chewies and bones on the couch, and especially to bury them between the cushions! That's the chappter we're still working on!

I walked in the livingroom yesterday and he was on the floor, with a guilty look in his eye (rare sight, usualy he's quite proud of his evil doings), and suddently he bolted for the couch, dived head first and retrieved the yuky bone between the cushions! He knew he wasn't supposed to do that, but he blew his own cover! :D

Dakota is allowed on only if he is going to curl up and settle down. Otherwise he stays on the floor. He'll get off the furniture when asked and is always willing to jump up for a cuddle.

Ripley the Yapillon is allowed to get on and off the furniture whenever he wants. He isn't quite as rough on it as Dakota is.

My dogs are spoiled.

I cuddle with Popcorn on the couch and the bed. Jeff cuddles with Pepper on his couch.

Lol...and he is the one that made the NO DOGS on the furniture rule, before we brought them home.

Then once they got in the house, he saw those tiny puppies, he said: "They can get on the sofa's if you want..."

PoppyandMomonCouch.jpg

I think that Poppy is part BC and part Mountain Goat....lol.