BC Boards

Gibbs has gone to to a place with no pain and no confusion

urge to herd

This past Monday I tried to call Gibbs to me. He could barely hear me, was looking around and couldn't tell where I was from my voice. He kept moving away from me, trying to find me. I decided it was time to free him.

He and I have had a rough year or so. His vision/hearing got worse and worse. If I came up to him and he didn't see me, he'd get very frightened when I touched him. He was incontinent as well, waking up in the morning with his bedding and fur soaked.

The vet had an opening for euthanasia this past Tuesday evening. He is at peace now.

Ruth and Gibbs

Filling in some details: I have a wonderful housemate who loved Gibbs, too. T would play with him, ruffle his fur, tease him a bit here and there, etc. T knew that the time was coming just as I did. He went to the vet with me. Oh, and the vet and his technicians were so kind. Threw my arms around my favorite tech as soon as I got there and she let me sob on her shoulder. And it turns out my vet is retiring and selling the practice at the end of the month, so we ALL cried and hugged and handed out tissues. End of an era in more ways than one. Some of you might not know, but Gibbs came to me from a board member here. It's such a small and wonderful world, even at this difficult era.                       R

DH and I were the lucky ones who made contact with Ruth all those years ago to have her meet Gibbs to see if he might be a good fit into her home.  Needless to say, it was a very good fit, and we have been so, so happy for all the years Ruth and Gibbs shared, and we're ever grateful for the loving home she gave him, as well as her willingness to share their adventures together.

Making the difficult decision to let them go is never easy, but it's the kindest gift we can give to our beloved friends.  Run free, Gibbs, and thank you, Ruth.

Amy

Oh, Ruth. I'm so terribly sorry to see this. I haven't been around here much lately but always enjoyed reading about your and Gibbs' adventures together. It was so obvious he was loved. I hope you find some solace that Gibbs' time with you was a life well spent. Dogspeed sweet boy. (Yeah, I'm crying too.)

roxanne

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

Unknown Author

Oh dear. I just saw this. Paws on your heart. Gibbs had a wonderful life with you.

I also enjoyed hearing about Gibbs, and your posts with general advice were also appreciated. I hope you continue to contribute here.

That'll do, Gibbs. <3 <3 (Those are supposed to be hearts.)

Oh gosh, I only saw this today and apologize for not seeing it sooner and responding.

Ruth, I am so very sorry. I will miss reading reports about Gibbs on this forum, as I always enjoyed "knowing" him here. I could tell he was a wonderful dog.

My condolences are deep and I send you my best. You have many very happy memories of Gibbs. Not the same as having the warm furry being, I know. Take care of yourself, and I hope cuddling those puppies helps your heart to be peaceful.

I fully understand that. Of course. I still miss Jes and Kit terribly and wish they could have lived as long as I do.

It's always the hardest thing in the world when that decision has to be made. But when mind and heart know it's right, you say goodbye.

I think the only thing wrong with dogs is that they don't live long enough.

Ruth, I don't often come to the boards anymore.  When I saw your post I felt compelled to respond to offer my sincere condolences.   I too felt a "virtual " personal connection to you and Gibbs over the years.  Too many times we in this community have grieved the loss of our beloved four-legged family members.  The passage I have quoted below was one I first encountered on these boards many many years ago.  It has always remained with me every time I have to say goodbye...it is so viscerally and heart breakingly true.

“There is a cycle of love and death that shapes the lives of those who choose to travel in the company of animals. It is a cycle unlike any other. To those who have never lived through its turnings and walked its rocky path, our willingness to give our hearts with full knowledge that they will be broken seems incomprehensible. Only we know how small a price we pay for what we receive; our grief, no matter how powerful it may be, is an insufficient measure of the joy we have been given.”
― Suzanne Clothier, Bones Would Rain from the Sky: Deepening Our Relationships with Dogs

I wanted to add, as it may help others with folks who have dogs whose hearing has become impaired, I have heard if you stamp your foot within some proximity before touching your dog they will feel the vibration and perhaps not startle as badly.

My thoughts are with you. Run free Gibbs...you will be missed.

• 3 months later...

I was sorry to hear about Gibbs, Ruth. I know you always had his best interests in mind. They certainly leave an enormous hole in our hearts, don't they? 

As a dear friend said, "We do this for them because we love them that much." 

Good boy, Gibbs.