BC Boards

A job

I want everyone to know that Gracie and I are doing great!!! That dog is a treasure, oh sure she is still going after shoes, socks, and anything else she can make a fast get a way with on her way out of a room.

When it comes to Bella she gives Gracie what for when Gracie comes after anything she has, she is holding her own and I'm now under the impression that it gives her great joy.. Gracie has decided to leave Bella alone for the most part, living in harmony isn't a pipe dream anymore, relief!

I have heard that all border collies need jobs. I have been told that if I don't give Gracie a job she will in turn find her own and that won't be pleasant. Is there any truth to that? Outside of herding ( not an option, mice is the only thing she could herd here ) I don't have the first clue as to what kind of a job she needs.

I also want to know what do I do about Gracie when it comes to her time of the month, when does it start? Gracie is 7 months old now. My husband doesn't want her fixed, I however do. I have zero plans to breed her!

Gracie is a champion Frisbee catcher, ( well maybe not champion ) she is forever holding it in her mouth, its her favorite thing to do. It's a beautiful display of concentration and speed on her part, she is fast fast fast! She knows most every trick in the book. One thing she hasn't mastered is the heel, we are working on it but not so much so now that I am back to work. Gracie is still jumping on people to greet them, that is all my husbands fault I take no blame there! I do not let her jump and did the lessons you all told me to do, then said husband goes behind my working back and teaches her to jump on him to give him the frisbee. SERIOUSLY!!! I will post pictures as soon as I upload them to my computer.

Any help on these matters would greatly be appreciated.

As for her heat cycle there is a big range there. Mine went into heat at 10 months. I had her spayed at 14 months after her growth plates had closed. There is some evidence that waiting until growth plates close can prevent injuries later. However, there is also some evidence that waiting too long increases chances of some cancers. You will need to research this and discuss with your husband and also your vet. My vet was okay with waiting until growth plates closed, but not much longer. If your husband still does not want her spayed, he may very well change his mind after she goes through a heat cycle. I spayed my girl because I never intended to breed her and she is a pet, although she is very active and we are in various types of training classes which are really fun - in a way her classes and training are a job for her.

I agree with ^^^. A job can be anything from training for agility to trick training to learning how to help you load the dirty clothes in the washer or picking up objects you drop.

I have gathered from past conversations on here that this is the case. I am grateful for having found this board when Hannah was still a puppy, because I also wanted to provide adequately for her needs. She does silly things like get the ball, stop, lie down and walk up on it; get the newspaper and fetch things. While I'm almost embarrassed to admit the ball thing on a working Border Collie board, that idea came from that video of a guy and his ACD, and silly as it may be, it keeps the dog engaged. On the plus side, with bad knees, I've found Hannah's willingness to pick up things that I drop quite helpful. Sometimes during a flare up of osteoarthritis, when you bend down to pick up something, it is quite painful to get back up!

ETA: To the original poster, congratulations on your new(ish) addition! They are a treasure, indeed.

Indeed a job can be anything. My Jester thinks it is his Job to fetch anything that is thrown. Remember always that mental stimulation is as important as physical exercise.

One thing.....sorry if this is not my business to state, but is your husband aware that by sending mixed signals to your dog by allowing her to jump on him when you are trying to train her not to, he is potentially going to cause problems down the road? Not just that she will jump on people (which can be a serious problem in itself....think the elderly or the infirm or someone afraid of dogs....) but confusing a dog is a good way to cause anxiety and anxiety= bad behavior in other areas.

I know sometimes husbands can be harder to train than dogs, or so I hear ;) , but if he knew that he was hurting the dog with his actions maybe that would help him to learn not to do it.

One thing.....sorry if this is not my business to state, but is your husband aware that by sending mixed signals to your dog by allowing her to jump on him when you are trying to train her not to, he is potentially going to cause problems down the road? Not just that she will jump on people (which can be a serious problem in itself....think the elderly or the infirm or someone afraid of dogs....) but confusing a dog is a good way to cause anxiety and anxiety= bad behavior in other areas.

Not to be argumentative, but I'm not so sure this is necessarily, or at least not universally, true. These dogs can easily learn that it's OK to jump on one person who allows it but not one anyone or everyone else. And they can learn to jump up when asked, but only when when given an invitation to do so. I teach this to my dogs all the time. B)

Not to be argumentative, but I'm not so sure this is necessarily, or at least not universally, true. These dogs can easily learn that it's OK to jump on one person who allows it but not one anyone or everyone else. And they can learn to jump up when asked, but only when when given an invitation to do so. I teach this to my dogs all the time. B)

Yeeep. Not just these dogs, either. The dogs in my household know danged well that jumping on me or the elder son is off limits without invitation because we Do Not Like It and manage to be consistent in only rewarding appropriate (sitting) behavior. My younger son and husband don't 'really' care, aren't consistent, and sometimes reward the heck out of being leapt on.

So. They jump all over the two people in the house who reward it and behave beautifully for the other 2.

And out of the house, they ALL sit to greet. Because that's been consistently required.

Still maul husband and youngest kid, though.

When people say they need a job, it is really shorthand for the need to engage with your dog. Border collies need more in their lives than just been companions, as long as you can find ways to engage their brains they will be happy.

I also have dogs that behave differently with me than my husband. Our older dog begs from my husband as he always shares, when I am sitting at the table he won't come near .

Alligande hit the nail on the head. Border collies need something to do as part of a team - with a human being the other half. Trick training, scent detection games/work, visiting people in hospitals - all are team work things.

Google dog tricks, you'll get a million hits and tons of videos. Do stuff with your dog. That's the basics. Beyond that, go where your inclinations and your dog's talents/passions lie.

Ruth and Gibbs

I agree! I am looking at Gracie and know in my heart she is a kind and gentle soul, a bit rambunctious because of her teenage inclinations but for the most part she is loving and so excited to be with people! We take lots and lots of walks, frisbee throwing in her #1 favorite thing to do but as long as she is with her daddy and I she is basically happy, well....with us and a bone, a toy, a chew thing, yea. that's the order of things. lol. She will find her "thing to do" I will nurture it.

I'd recommend that you try some things out with Gracie. Search for some simple tricks to teach her. How does she do with strangers and in strange-to-her situations? If she's very outgoing w/people, she might like therapy dog tasks.

Try a nosework class or 2 - Gibbs loves finding stuff w/his nose. Expose her to some different types of 'work' and see what she really lights up for!

And Have A Good Time Yourself!

Ruth and Gibbs

I'm in a bit of a hurry, so sorry if someone else mentioned this.

But I would be VERY (as in, extremely) cautious doing much Frisbee with a 7 month old pup.

Her growth plates are not closed yet, and you can do serious damage with repetitive motions, jumping, stopping fast on a run, etc. If anything, roll the Frisbee on the ground and let her pick it up while rolling.

Other ideas suggested are great. Another idea: There is much interest these days (especially in the agility world) in conditioning exercises for dogs. It is fun, they get rewarded (treats usually), and it is good for their bodies. Again, some caution is advised for young'uns, but there are definitely things that pups can do without harm. There is a Facebook group, Canine Conditioning and Body Awareness. (The "awareness" part is especially good for young dogs!) Also, Toto Fit has a FB page with lots of good examples and exercises.

Have fun!

diane