BC Boards

What would you do?

Hi everyone:

Those of you who work your dogs on regular basis, what would you do if you learned that you had a health issue that is something that will make it very hard to continue to do this. Not that it will be impossible, rather, difficult. Would you keep your dogs, and work them less, or would you rehome your dogs, into homes where they could be worked as they are acccustomed to? To those of you who have had serious health challenges, I would love to hear from you.

Tia,

Julie

Well first of all, if you're referring to yourself, and you are having some health issues, I'm sorry, and hope you are able to overcome them. In answer to your question I guess it would depend on what the problem was, I would imagine I would slog through till I couldn't slog no more . And call me selfish, but I would not rehome them, couldn't imagine parting with my kids. You do agility though right? That takes a lot more running around on your part than in herding I would imagine...Hope you are well.

Betty

Hey Betty:

Thanks. Yes, it is me, and I don't ever see my dogs going to another home- for any reason. We do agility, and are starting to "work" :rolleyes: My issue is one that makes mobility really tough. In agility, my dogs go waaaaay out ahead of me, so we can get through (most of the time :D . When I first learned of this condition, I spent one day feeling sorry for myself, and then I felt WORSE for doing nothing.

I am still pretty fit, and will God willin' and the creek don't rise, stay that way, but I just want to do right by my dogs- who find ways to entertain me- like throwing their toys at me, and digging at me when I am sitting/laying down, as if to say: GET UP YOU LAZY BUTT! My animals have kept me WAY more saner than any human could!

Julie

Hi Julie. I'm new to the boards but my wife is handicapped herself. She continues to work with the dogs, and in fact has taken in a dog who needs a lot of help. In our case, our male BC does cattle work, and I am the primary trainer for that, while my wife teaches all the other manners etc.

If we were you, we would try to keep the dogs as long as it is possible for you to work them. Another option might be to keep them but ask someone else to become their agility handler.

Collin

Julie, I think the best you can do by your dogs is to keep them. Unless you become unable to care for them (and I dearly hope that will never be the case), I can't imagine your dogs would be happier or better off elsewhere. It's not like you're an owner who chucks the dog out in the yard and rememebers to feed it most days. You have a relationship with your dogs. I think they probably value that as much as you do. If you have to curtail your activities, you can, as Colin suggested, consider having a friend coach and handle them for what you can't manage, and do as much as you can for yourself. You might also consider having THEM help YOU for mobility issues. One of my nurses has a Mal who she's taught to fetch her keys and other items (he's obsessed with the keys, though... he likes to grab them by the fob - leather, I think - and then walk around swinging them in a little circle, his head nodding to keep the swing going. It's very funny.) She even gets her Sibes doing this... once I was borrowing a book from her and went to her house to get it. She went in the house to get the paperback, but it was delivered to my hand by one of her Sibes. She also has them carry around baskets with items she needs and so on.

Your dogs have a lifestyle they enjoy, and I think it speaks well for you as an owner that you're willing to consider making a major sacrifice (as in re-homing) in order to serve their best interests. But I also think that they can adapt to a different lifestyle as time goes along, and that they might find it just as satisfying in different ways. JMO, of course.

I can sort of sympathize with you. I am going to be 34 years old and have bad knees and some lower back issues.

My knee issue was called before I was 30 chondromalacia but after 30 they usually refer to it as osteoarthritis. I basically do not have cartilage in my right knee and very little in my left knee. I was born with knee problems so this was all expected. I am in pain every day and some are worse than others. Some days I can be very cranky from pain - my poor husband...

I still play soccer but that is coming to an end since my knees are getting much worse and the pain can be horrible at times. I play flyball with my dogs and because of how they are released, I get up and down constantly and just a couple races can be more painful than playing a whole game of soccer. I rarely run one of my dogs. He will run for anyone so I will pass him on to others since he hurts me the most.

My best advice even though I do not know what your problem is, is be as active as possible doing things for you and for your dogs. The more active you stay the better off you will be mobility wise. I usually feel better when I have been active instead of lazy (like winter time which I hate and cold weather makes my knees hurt)... I was told 3-4 years ago I needed more knee surgery which would be the 3rd one on my right knee. The 4th in the series is knee replacement I am too young for that.

Keep your dogs. They will be happier with you not working/playing as much as they used to compared to being sent to strangers. You can find others to help do what they have always done in the past. Or do take a bunch of drugs like I do before I go play soccer and flyball

Thanks everyone for the support. I guess I might as well mention, I have RA (Rheumatoid arthritis). My main issues are bakers cysts in the knees, and my fingers are stiff etc. The knees are my real limiting reagent at this point. It makes it hard to walk :rolleyes: I am newly dx'd, and am on nsaids.

There are so many animal related things to do everyday, I just "do it". I work with animals at my job, so I guess I can't think of life without animals being at the center of it. My dogs are my buoys in this life (along with the best cat ever born), and they seem to take cues from me. I don't like talking about my problems, sorry to everyone, but if there is a way to work things effectively, so that we can still continue our fun, I GOTTA do it. My youngest dog is my busiest, but she is real good at seeing when I need quiet time... We also have a full ring of agility equipment in the fenced yard, as well as frisbee, so they are still able to to what they love. I am entering trials this summer (agility), and even one that is one I have always wanted to go to, but never did it, just because I want to live, and do things, and not become a "lump". This may be a good time to get MORE into herding- as I don't have to run Course, owning your own home, and paying for it, are a good impetus to getting on with life too

My family are very supportive, thank goodness for them, and they *see* how important dogs are to me.

Julie

Hey everyone:

I forgot to mention- one of the diff dx's, the dr tells me is PARVO virus. When I got off the floor laughing (dr doesn't know I am a dog person), I then had all these questions about like, "now what? Do I have to bleach my bedding?". Only dog folks will get how funny this is right? PARVO!

Julie

Julie,

RA is horrible I know some folks with it. Make sure to do a bunch of research and stay active. It does help in the long run. I am glad mine is not RA but I can understand the pain.

There are different things you can do to help the stiffness like don't stay sitting too long, don't keep knees bent for long, keep legs up as much as possible when sitting... and for me during bad days I take a nice hot bath with peppermint oil. It helps pull the pain out.

I would definately keep my dogs. I have just been recently dx'd with possible MS and re-dx'd with definate Fibromyalgia(first dx'd in '98).

I run my pups every day and training them to the frisbee, to help them get enough excercise, I also plan to train my dogs to help me when I need things "fetched". Where there is a will, there is always a way, right? :rolleyes:

These guys aren't always picky so long as they DO have a job, or something to do and feel like they belong to the family. That's what's imprortant to them. to be with their people!

Parvo huh? Wow! I didn't even know people could get that... that is kind of humorous in a way. I see your point..lol.

Please do continue to keep us update on what the Dr's say. You are in our thoughts! :D

Julie, so sorry to hear about your troubles. But here is kudos to you for not just giving in! I agree, keep your dogs! They will never understand and it is not like you are not able to see to them! Things will work out! Your dogs will adjust as you need! My thoughts and prayers are with you (and to Kim).

Im 27 and I was in a car accident that almost killed me when I was 23. I have bad bad bad back problems which is why I dont hike, run, nothing very active EVER. I shattered my pelvis, broke all my ribs on my left side, broke my tail bone, and a lot of other stuff. I was in a coma for a month and basically had to learn to walk again thats why my back is major messed up. Oh and I have scoliosis as well. I do try to walk up and down our block at night with Riven and she loves it. I cant work because I cant sit, stand or lay for any normal length of time. Im always changing positions. I LOVE Riven and I find that having her keeps me motivated to keep moving and keep doing things for her. So I get up and I go do things I wouldnt do before. I do take her for car rides and she loves them. She tries to get in random cars on the street cause she wants to go for a ride :eek: I take her to the park and if my back hurts I put her on a long lead and sit down. She's content to be left to sniff and make sure the bark on the tree is ok. I also train a lot, tricks and such. I give her her dinner in a treat ball (supervised of course) that keeps her active forever and entertained. I am blessed though because if I want to sleep she sleeps. If I want to go outside, she's there with me. She's always game for whatever. :rolleyes: She is a gift from God no doubt about it. Im sure you feel the same about your dogs and cat too.

I guess what Im sayin is I would keep your dogs. They have a bond with you, and if you could ask them Im sure they'd sacrifice a little less action to keep their mom.

Im sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I wish you all the best.

Julie, I'm sorry to hear about your health problems.

I agree with the others - keep your dogs. Right now my dog is with me where I work as a live-in nanny. I go home on the weekends, back to the farm and sheep - she loves herding. But every Sunday night she is ready to go with me, for another week of no sheep, lots of time in the house, and getting "mauled" by a 1 y/o.

Your dogs know you, love you, and want to be with you. And yes, now might be the perfect time to get more into herding!

Julie,

I'm sorry to hear that you've gotten this diagnosis, it's definitely a shocker when life hands you one of those.

KEEP THE DOGS! I can't speak to phyiscal disabilities, but with chronic anxiety/depression, many days the only reason I got out of bed was because of my dogs. What everyone else has said about their dogs motivating them to do more than they thought they could is 100% right on.

With my ribs being crunched a couple weeks ago, I blessed the fact that I'd already taught Sammi to pick up small pieces of clothing and hand them to me. I didn't have to bend over to grab my shoes or do laundry, and these dogs will do anything for the sense of partnership they have with you. A cookie or 2 helps with that.

I hope you get along well, and continue to enjoy your dogs for a long time to come.

Ruth n the BC3

Kelpie girl, my husband came down with RA two years ago and is managed very very well on Remicaid and methotrexate. Please talk to your doctors about this. He had a pretty severe and sudden onset and a half a year trying steroids and painkillers until them came up with this and he's now in better shape than I am with crotchety knees.

Both of us have back issues from time to time.

Here is the very best advice I can give you from the deepest cell of my heart:

Focus on the outcome, not on the activity. Your dogs want to interact with you, to be part of your life and you theirs. Their happiness depends on that. You could be lying on a bed with remote control in your teeth to a ball thrower and they would bring balls to you and pile them at yourside if you asked them....all day long.

Julie,

People do agility in wheelchairs, as I'm sure you know. People in wheelchairs even take their dogs to Nationals. Being disabled needn't stop a person from doing agility if they don't want it to.

You mentioned that your dogs already work at a distance. If I were in your shoes, I'd really work on distance training, so you can basically stand still while your dogs run the course. This is not far-fateched at all. In NADAC, you sometimes see a "bonus box" in the middle of the course. A person who handles the entire course (or most of it) from inside the box gets a huge bonus, and I've seen it done, multiple times. It's a terrific challenge to learn to handle that well at such a distance from the dog, and one that I can't imagine would get old soon. NADAC is probably the best venue for this kind of handling, because AKC-style courses are more about micro-management, but then again there are those wheelchair folks who do AKC.

Anyway, soldier on. You've got plenty of life left in you, I'm sure. And you knew we'd all say "Keep the dogs!", didn't you?

I think that it is a great idea to train your dogs to help you by doing "jobs".

I was also thinking that maybe you could find someone who doesn't know much about training and agility but who would like to learn. You could instruct that person on what to do and they could exercise your dogs while they learn and practice. I don't know where you live, but if you lived close to me, I would totally do it myself!

As a general question, I think it depends on the person, the disability, and the dogs- their ages, their bond with the person, their life so far. So maybe if the physical condition was so severe it dramatically limited ability to care for the dogs, and if they had only just arrived in the person's life- maybe an adult trialling sheepdog purchased for trialling, and the person was no longer able to do that, or even a brand new puppy with a person with little social support and a condition requiring prolonged hospitalisation- then perhaps it may be easiest and even best for both person and dog to find another home for the dog.

But I think in most situations, regardless of the limitations of someone's condition, and the type of dog, if they want to stay together, they can and should.

There are lots of activities that we can do with dogs to keep their minds and bodies occupied, from flyball (where people with severe physical limitations are almost on a level playing field with everyone else) to agility- sure, it may be hard to be competitive at the top levels if you can't run, but you and your dogs can still have a great time. Sheepdog trialling doesn't require great athletic ability, which probably explains its popularity with retired farmers. For my own dogs, just a trip to the park for some trick training, rewarded with a tennis racket/ball is wnough to keep them pretty happy when we aren't competing in anything.

I suppose getting someone else to run your dogs is always an option, for some people and dogs.

I hope this won't interfere with your plans for your new working kelpie puppy!

Thanks everyone for writing. I suppose when life throws us lemons, we can either make a face, and be upset, or make lemonade. One thing this has done has been to make me realize that life is indeed precious, and to make the best of it I can- and to NOT dwell on the negative.

After work last night, I got home and mowed my lawn- which is much easier with the rider I got a couple of years ago As I mowed, my youngest girl stayed behind, covering my flanks :rolleyes:, staying far enough back, and as I mowed, I got to look around and really enjoy the spring scenery. The dogs, I swear enjoy the spring as much as me.

As for my new puppy- she is definitely coming

Now I just need names- this is the hardest part.

Was thinking "red sky at morning" aka, "dusty" since she is a red girl.

Anyway, thanks everyone, it is so nice to be able to chat with dog people- people who know that life without a dog in it, just ain't a life.

Julie

hey zoe:

I think sometimes they do. I am a real animal person, chosing to be with animals over people- to a very great extent. I am really happiest surrounded by them- especially at night, when all the chores are done, and we are all settled in for the night.

When I have been away from my animals, I am just not centered. I can't imagine not having them.

Julie

I agree. I know exactly how you feel about the not being centered. Like when I have had to spend days at a time in the hospital, I feel all off kilter- and anything but centered!!

Then I come home to my dogs, and all is well again!!