BC Boards

So Who Teachs Obedience for a Living?

Okay,

So I got a call that a doggy day care is looking for a trainer. They want to give me a try. I was told I can do as many as one to three classes in a day and even private lessons if I want. Works great for me, as I do have another job.

Now! I was wondering what the going rate is for dog training pay? lol

I was told I will make 40% of what each person pays for the class and the classes can be anywhere from 6 to 12 dogs. I do not want anyone to say how much they make - just what they think of what I was offered. Obedience classes in this area usually run $130 to $190, depending on what they involve and how long. I know their classes are 6 weeks long, once a week. The drive is about a hour for me but I figure its what I love, plus I can do as many as three classes in one night (so the best being 36 dogs or the worst being only 18) or even private lessons which I believe run $50 a lesson.

Second question, if you do teach obedience, how do you usually run your classes. From when the dogs first get there to when they leave. I have been in obedience classes and taught some (dogs and people lol) but I would like to hear from experince what has worked best for you.

Times are hard here. Feed dogs gets expensive and so does training them, even worse, vet care. I need some extra cash from somewhere as working 40 hours a week dealing with idiots all day long is getting old. So I think this would be great and renewing for me and the plus side, I'd get a indoor place to work with my own dogs and probably low rates for boarding if I ever needed it (heaven forbid, six dogs and a few fosters usually! lol).

So, what do you think? Am I stupid for not jumping on this like I feel I am or does it not sound like that great of a deal?

Thanks for any and all input!

Katelynn

I'd probably lobby for you getting the 60% and the daycare getting 40% or maybe a 50/50 split - 40% seems low when you're really doing the lions share of the work and they just provide a bit of publicity and the place to do it.

I think part time training would be great - full time can be really tiring and many trainers are prone to burnout (I know I am).

I teach classes as part of my job and they make up about 6-12 hours of my 40 hour work week. We have several levels of classes: puppy socialization (5 weeks long), adolescent manners (7 weeks), adult manners (7 weeks), drop in intermediate (polishing - 4 weeks), CGC prep (6 weeks), and private sessions as well.

I'm headed to work right now, but I'll try to get back on later to describe my classes in more depth.

I need some extra cash from somewhere as working 40 hours a week dealing with idiots all day long is getting old. So I think this would be great and renewing for me and the plus side

So...you're tired of dealing with idiots all day long; won't you be teaching owners not training dogs? I used to assist in community ed obedience classes and quit, just because the owners were so out to lunch. I taught first grade for 41 years and never ran into the problems I saw at obedience class. Why do people pay good money for a class when they already know all the answers???

If they won't pay you 60/40, I'd say "oh well" and look for something else.

Barb S

Katelyn,

You'd do well to look at what it's going to cost you to earn that 40%. There's gas, for one thing. Then there is your time to prep: handouts, worksheets, lesson plans, etc. That will add at least half an hour every time you teach, if not more. So, say you've got a class that's one hour in length. You add 2 hours of travel time and at least a half hr of prep time, and all of a sudden you're getting $364, (6 students X $160, X .40) for 21 hours of your time. That works out to about $17/hr. Take your price of a a couple gallons of gas off that, for every trip you make, maybe more, and all of a sudden you're only getting 13/hr. And you have to pay taxes on that.

Then there's the time. Working 40 hrs at another job, there's also commute time for that job I'm sure, then getting to a place an hour away and setting up for the classes, then staying to clean up afterwards, sounds like a lot. If you teach 3 classes one evening, then you won't be home much before 10 pm, and you still have your own dogs and yourself to see to and then get ready for work the next day.

I'd negotiate for a higher cut, based on your experience and what else you bring to the table. It does sound attractive, but I'd crunch the numbers a bit more, maybe talk to some other dog trainers.

Good luck!

Ruth

So...you're tired of dealing with idiots all day long; won't you be teaching owners not training dogs? I used to assist in community ed obedience classes and quit, just because the owners were so out to lunch. I taught first grade for 41 years and never ran into the problems I saw at obedience class. Why do people pay good money for a class when they already know all the answers???

That is a very good point. There will be many know-it-alls, especially at a basic obedience class. That and the folks who think that their dog should learn everything at class and skip the homework. So do consider that when negotiating your pay.

Ive done OB training for years. Personally, I liked it when I owned my own kennel and did it "in house" meaning the dog stayed at my kennel, I worked the dog 2-3X a day and the owner would come every evening to work with me with the dog. Ideal. ( for that I charged 400.00 and kept the dog 2 weeks)

When I moved out here, I thought Id continue to pick up some extra cash doing OB classes after work at the store. Classes were held once a week. Handouts were made weekly, but owners were given an "over all" hand out at the begining of the 1st class, out lining my credentials, what they could expect from the class, and what the class entailed. They were then given a contract to sign, stating that payments for the class were to paid in full up front, after attending 2 classes or more, no monies would be refunded unless in the event of injury or death of the pet. Of course, it also had the usual disclaimers for injury to the person, yaddy yadda. Classes met once a week and went on depending on how many people were attending, (never any less than 6 no more than 10 ) for anywhere from 1 to 2 hrs, and they covered basic OB. Come, down, sit, stay and heel. As well as any minor behavior problems such as jumping up on people or shooting out doors etc. I taught for 2 years out here, before I finally decided that I wasnt going to be able to continue to teach classes without commiting a heinous crime. Death by leash. No, not to the dogs, but their owners! Very, very frustrating! Grown people, couldnt figure out their left from their right even after 3 weeks! The money wasnt that great, I charged 125.00 per dog and I kept a hundred percent of what I made , except I paid 25.00 a week for the use of the store, property, and parking lot which emcompassed a pretty decent size area, indoors and out and was great for having places with no distractions for the first week or so , and then a great many distractions for later on. In the end, gas ate me up, and I just didnt feel that the folks that were entering the classes really were prepared for the work it was going to take to train their dogs. Most had no clue even about their dogs, or the breed they had choosen. It was very sad indeed. All they knew was that they had a hundred pound lab, akita, some thing doodle, JRT, whatever, just to name a few that were like a year and a half old and didnt even know what NO meant, and they were going to get rid of it if it didnt learn to behave. Group classes are not for me. You would be surprised at the amount of stupid people that own dogs. I perfer one on one, me, and the dog. After I have the dog performing well, then I invite the owner in to learn how to handle the dog, and be consistant. Most folks dont like to nor do they ( even when you show them like a hundred times) want to give a proper correction, and the normal lay person has absolutly lousy timing. What I saw was a bunch of dogs suffering because usually folks either just dont get it, dont really care that much, or just really arent that into it. Its to much like work. Now dont get me wrong, on another note, there were those that got it and wanted to do it, and tried real hard and listened and watched, but they were definitly not the majority. Maybe I was at it to long, but I could pretty much guage what I was in for as far as students the second I saw the people walk/get dragged or drag in their dogs. Group classes are also difficult, because you cant devote to much time to any one dog, and there will be those that need it, and that is frustrating. A trainer gets pulled in many different directions durring classes and I never felt I was able to give everyone the attention they and their dogs needed. You get folks that cant get their dog to do some thing, and they cry, or start being mean to the dog, or they just start to walk off, or...well, any number of strange things so you also have to have extremly good people skills, and be part phychologist. If you have never done this sort of thing before, I would highly suggest doing private classes one on one first, and then if you still just love it after a couple of years, then try your hand at groups. Personally, I dont care for group classes, and the money isnt that great for the time and work ya have to do.

Well maybe she said 60/40? I am not sure now! lol

Anyone have the worksheets they used in their classes? I know I've got some but I'd like ideas.

Anyway, I am going in the morning to see what it is all going to involve and I guess if they really need a trainer they will give me what I want. Sounds like 60/40 is the norm so I wont feel bad asking for it.

Thanks everyone, for the replies and for the PMs :rolleyes:

Katelynn

I take private lessons. Once every two weeks. Love the lady- Her name is Alice Peterson. She is in-between positive and non-aggressive training. ( Little choke chain or prong and lots of treats) Love her skills. I haven't taken a lesson in ages. We are working on sheep. I keep up on Usher's training because he is a SD and he "needs to know those skills". We will be starting up Jan 20th. In Boise, only one show- hope to get this CD and 2 legs of his CDX. Wish us luck. That PLUS herding is pooping us out- LOL.

She is very positive, but wants a "pop" when after a year he knows what he is doing wrong. I, personally, don't see anything wrong with this since Usher doesn't even care- I'd appreciate your opinions, though.

She is very positive, but wants a "pop" when after a year he knows what he is doing wrong. I, personally, don't see anything wrong with this since Usher doesn't even care- I'd appreciate your opinions, though.

Hi,

If I am sure my dog understands what I'm asking and is basicly saying 'Nope, don't think so!', I'm not opposed to giving a correction. To me, a correction is whatever works for that particular dog.

Janet

I need some extra cash from somewhere as working 40 hours a week dealing with idiots all day long is getting old.

I’m sorry to jump on this and I know working with the public can be tough but I think you really need to come at this with a good attitude as it is the people you will be teaching, not the dogs. Can you motivate the students to work with their dogs at home (the place where the dog learns) and continue coming to classes (where the people learn)? Can you keep the mood of the class fun yet challenging to keep them coming back for more? Can you show empathy for the havoc their lack of dog knowledge may be causing them at home? The people who are dog savvy won’t be coming to your class; it will be the ones who “don’t get it”. Can you explain what you’re trying to accomplish so they can get it?

I’ve taught classes for over 20 years both as a individual and with a dog training facility and my goal has always been to give the people & their dogs the communications skills that will keep the dog from ending up in rescue or a shelter. Many people coming to a basic class are at their wits end and the class may be the last chance for the dog. To me teaching basic obedience skills is more than teaching sit, down, walk politely on leash and keep all four on the floor. It’s explaining to the owners what a dog is (a dog, not a stuffed animal or a furry human), why their dog may be behaving as it is (and why they aren’t being bad but just being a dog), and how they can develop the communication link that will help their dog to have a loving home until it gets old and dies.

Ok… enough preaching (sorry, couldn’t help myself) :rolleyes:

When you work up the class curriculum take in consideration why people will bring their dog to class. The reasons generally are pretty basic: to get the dog to walk politely on leash; to stop the dog from jumping up on people; to teach the dog self control and come when called. Each student will bring their specific problem or problems. Decide on the goal for each skill you want to teach then break the goal down into parts. Decide how the goal will be addressed each week, plan what exercise you’ll do in class, and decide how each week will build on the skill throughout the class session. For example, in the 7 week class I teach the recall is touched on each week. Each week may have a different recall game or may add more distractions to a previous recall game.

Burn out happens even if you teach part time so know when to stop or take a break from teaching.

I think 60% would be more reasonable, especially if it’s you who is preparing and providing the handouts. Or perhaps a lower percentage with some added perks (boarding, grooming, etc.). Definitely consider what it will cost you. Where I currently teach we get 60% and a break on any class we take.

I have been teaching my own puppy obedience classes for puppies 9 weeks - 6 months of age for approx 12 years. I teach basic manners, impulse control and also do a lot on canine psychology and behaviour. I think it is very important that my students understand how dogs learn, think and what normal dog behaviour is, so they can better understand their dogs and be better leaders and trainers of their dogs. Those trainers that can only teach mechanical commands, i.e. sit, down, etc and have no iunderstanding of canine psychology and behaviour can only do so much. I usually get calls when these trainers cannot provide any suggestions for their students because they only have one way to teach things. If the way they teach down doesn't work with a particular dog, they are stuck as to what to do. They can't think outside the box they have built for themselve.

I charge a flat fee per puppy for an 8 week course, and since I am the only one teaching I only take 6 - 8 puppies per class. I also do private one on one training - obedience, behaviour; agility, and I charge an hourly rate for that. I much prefer one on one training as you can get so much accomplished in a short time. I either do that at the training centre or in their home. Unfortunately around here most people can't be bothered to work at changing their dog's behaviour - they would rather just complain about it. Most of the one on one training I do is with people in the sports world that are prepared to work herd with their dogs.

The nice thing about the puppy classes are that the families are looking to start out on the right foot with their puppy, and are quite eager to do the training. As MickeyDOg pointed out, in otherh classes a lot of times people are coming becuase they are fed up with their dogs behaviours (not comming when called, etc) and are expecting you to pull a miracle out of your hat in first 3 -4 weeks and somehow their dog become perfect, (even though they can't be bothered to do the training at home between classes). That's why I don't teach those classes for our Kennel Club anymore, I just deal with dogs referred to me from those classes with behaviourial issues that need to be addressed, i.e. fear issues, etc. I do those classes for the Kennel Club, not privately, so don't get paid for those.

I believe that your title "Teach Obedience for a Living" is an oxymoron. If I had to rely on what I made teaching obedience class to raise a family, we'd be living out of a cardboard box, my kids would have no clothes, and we'd all starve!! :rolleyes:

Seriously, being an obedience instructor is probably the most under-rated and under-paid job on earth. But those who do it, do it because they love it and have a passion for the dogs. Not that you work with the dogs...you work teaching the owners how successfully live with a dog and hopefully you make a difference in the dog's life through the owner. If you feel you've saved one dog from being taken to the shelter, you've done something wonderful.

That said, if you are qualified and experienced, don't sell yourself short. If someone else is paying you a percentage, I certainly would be looking for at least 60/40.

Also know that you never really get to retire from this. I "retired" probably 8 years ago and still have people who call me for advice...former students as well as random strangers. You know the stories about the doctors and lawyers who go to parties and constantly have people asking them medical or legal advice? Well, add dog obedience instructor to that list.

I also can honestly say that when I was in the hospital giving birth to my first child (24 yrs. ago) word spread that I was a dog trainer (one of my students was an ob nurse; it's a hospital in a small town) and the whole time I was in labor I had people who worked in the hospital coming into my room with dog questions! This is the truth! My husband couldn't believe it and my doctor let it go on for a while (good distraction from the labor pains) and then finally told them to stop. Honestly, you would have thought I was JaLo or Paris Hilton; close to celebrity status! So being a dog trainer is a very unique and wonderful thing to be if your heart's in the right place. If you embark on this, I hope you will find it to be a rewarding experience.

PS - negotiating an indoor place to work your dog and boarding privileges sound like good perks to me!

• 1 month later...

So I have decided to do this. I get time to work my own dogs, bath them, boarding and a discount for all the rescue dogs that are adopted from the rescue I work with, so I just could not say no. I also am free to set up classes for kids and their dogs which is something I've always wanted to do, as I started very young training and then got into 4H.

So. I am starting out with basic and puppy. They are six week classes. A lot of you talked about "home work." Now, I've taken a few classes and recall getting the "home work" but I cannot remember what it entailed.

So, I am wondering what everyone covers from their first week, all the way through to their last week. I know I want to cover a praise word the first class and explain who important it is to have a word that tells your dog it is doing what you want of it, like a clicker but something everyone can use if they choose not to use a clicker. I also would like to go over recall, sit, down, stay, of coarse, heel, basic house manners and a few fun tricks to spice it up.

I am totally open to run my classes the way I want. They want their trainers to all have their own methods which I like.

So, when I get time, I want to sit down and do a outline for the first class, all the way to the last class as to what I want to cover, what usually needs more time in a class setting and what doesn't.

I would really like some input, ideas and advice.

Thanks! :rolleyes:

One thing I really liked about one of the first basic dog classes I ever took was the trainer sent home an instruction sheet

that listed possible issues that might come up in practicing what we had done in class that week. The first sheet had a lot

to do on not getting frusturated and not over training, really stressing to keep the training sessions short with many sessions rather than longer ones. Then she also had a taking it to the next step, which was an exercise or two related to what we had studied in class that if we felt like our 'homework' was going well we should move onto so that the handler and dog didn't get board working on sit all week. The only problem I found with this was that often it would be an exercise she would teach the following week so if you had been practicing at home it got a little repeatitive, but I guess better than being board the week before. Often these exercise would be focused on how to get the whole family or your friends involved in the training, which was a fun way to set it up.

Congratulations and best of luck!

Edited: You also might want to recommend that they put a list of what the commands for what behaviors on the fridge so that everyone in the house is on the same page.

Also, I always go through a dog show protocol w/ new agility students attending their first trial. It might not hurt to do a little doggy protocol giving suggestions on how to let you dog approach other dogs in parks and those type of things that drive the majority of people on this list crazy. I think most of the time newbie dog owners/pet owners don't even realize the annoyances and dangers they can cause by letting their dogs be crazy with other dogs or humans...just a thought

Check out this website... It explains how to choose a good dog trainer. It lists what the dog trainer should do for you. This can be helpful for your classes.

http://www.apdt.com/po/ts/choose_trainer.aspx