BC Boards

Say some prayers for Cheyenne please.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to y'all for prayers and well wishes and concern. It meant a lot to me.

First, the good news. The lump on her neck was a hair folicle infection! Can you believe she had it 2 1/2 yrs? It was not a fatty tumor. They shaved her and it looked a lot grosser nakid! Then he squeezed it and the grossest green-brownish stuff came shooting out! They finished draining it, syringed some peroxide in it and gave me some anti-biotics. Prognosis, should clear up, no prob.

Now, the bad news. The cancer on her mammery glands has indeed returned. He agrees that further cutting on her at this point will not be in her best interrest. He said that the only thing left really is chemo and/or radiation and he said that will just make her sick. He couldn't give me a time frame. He is waiting on other doc's fax so he knows what type etc. the original was. He said 4-6 mos. is usual. That leaves us with 3-5mos. now. I don't know what to do now. Her and Jackson got their yearly shots and driving home, I was thinking, this is probly the last shots she will get and I started tearing up. Because I realized, no, she does have one more shot in her future. I about lost it then.

So, right now, I am just going to keep loving her and enjoying her for as long as she is here. You never know what could happen. Hell, we could all get slammed by a meterorite. Or the N.Koreans!

So, again thank you all for being there for me. I really appreciate it. To be sure, I will keep y'all posted as this latest developes.

Now, everyone go hug your dogs.

I am sorry to hear her cancer has returned but at least you still have some time to spoil her and make more memories. I've lost 2 dogs to cancer in the last 4 yrs - Meg lost her battle within days but Cassie lived almost 18 months after diagnosis so I know how hard this is for you. All you can do is take it one day at a time - cliche, I know, but true nonetheless.

Hindsight is indeed 20/20. It is also laden with guilt.
"Of all sad words of tongue and pen,

the saddest are, 'It might have been'"

Rather than dwell on what might have been a decision one might have made otherwise (with no guarantee that the outcome would have been any different), might I suggest that you instead focus on the wonderful years that you have given Cheyenne, and the immeasurable love that you have bestowed upon her? It never ceases to amaze me as to how wonderfully people on this board treat their canine companions. When I read of the way some others treat their dogs, or watch Animal Planet on cable and see the horrific way that some people treat their pets, I think to myself about the good fortune our pets have in having us as part of their lives. You have nothing to apologize for, and nothing to regret.

I am just sick over what "might" be.
Old Shaolin saying: "That that will happen, will happen, whether we fear it or not." As you note, now is the time to focus on making the rest of Cheyenne's life as comfortable and pleasant as possible. In view of a stinging post that was made here a while back, I avoided any updates on Missy, as I did not want to be accused of seeking sympathy. But the sad news is that the tests have been completed, and Missy's cancer has returned after 4 years of remission. At 13 years old, the treatment would be more drastic than her frail old body would allow. So, like you, our mission now is to make whatever time she has remaining as pleasant as possible. (And I can assure you that she is enjoying being spoiled rotten.) Her end is not imminent, but it is just a matter of time (as in Cheyenne's case, a matter of months); so, you see, the understanding I have of your situation is real and personal, as I'm sure it is for many others on this board who have been through this as well.

You are in my thoughts and prayers, dear lady, as is Cheyenne.

What we did for Kirby was celebrate him. He no longer had to eat dry dog food to preserve his teeth infact he got as much table food as he wanted. We took tons of pics. We tried to find times when he could run free like he loved. It was probably a better send off than most humans get.

I'm not saying typing this isnt bringing tears to my eyes a year later but, he was a great dog. There wont be another like him ever to me.kwim

Aaah Dixie Girl... my heart breaks for you and little Cheyenne. Like BustopherJones said, there are in fact other's of us who have gone through the same thing with our babies. My 1st BC boy, Wolf (aka: Wolfie), was diagnosed with liver cancer in Sept. 03... After x-rays, blood tests, and even a couple of units of blood in the hospital at Va. Tech., I said enough! Our Dr. said, the same as your Dr. about further treatments, I had the choice for chemo, but after talking to other people I knew who had chemo done on their dogs, the general consensus, was "don't do it". We opted for prednisone pills, which increased his appetite and energy level, and he didn't appear to be in any pain at all. He ate whatever he wanted, went for walks, played ball. One weekend my daughter had come over with the kids and I looked out the window and saw my 2 grandsons playing with him. He was panting and running and having a grand ol time with them. Part of me wanted to say, that's enough, I was being a concerned mommy but he was in his glory playing with the kids...less than 2 days later he was gone.

I look back on that last big play day with the kids and his ball, and I sometimes wonder if I should have stopped that. Maybe he would have been here longer??? maybe I should have done this (or not), and that (or not) and on and on.... But ya know, I also remember that BIG BC smile on his face that day, and all I can do is laugh and cry at the same time.

He fought the good fight and was a happy, incredibly loved dog then and always will be!!!

Your beautiful girl is touching my very heart and soul, just from her picture and your words, right on through cyber space...

And to that I salute you both, for the love, companionship and memories back when, now and forever you have shared together.

My prayers are most definately with you. God Bless you both..hmmmm maybe she will just prove them ol Dr's wrong. My granddog was told she wouldn't make it through the weekend 5 yrs ago!!! she just crossed the bridge this month, at 17 yrs. old.

Heck the Dr's don't know everything!

((((((Hugs & prayers)))))) Your a good Mommy

Linda, I'm so sorry about the sad news. I went through this last August with my beloved GSD/Rough Collie, Kamp (lung cancer). We just made him as comfortable as possible, spent as much time as we could with him and generally made his remaining time with us as pleasant as possible.

Hang in there!

Regards,

I am so sorry for you and Cheyenne. I will pray for peace and joy for both of you as you celebrate the wonderful life she has had and your devotion to each other. I know words can't dry your tears, but please know we are thinking of you and Cheyenne.

The only good thing about knowing the end is near ahead of time is you can spoil the you-know-what out of her guilt-free.

I was kind of cringing as I waited, cancer is just so rarely "cured" if ever. It goes away and then reappears, either the same or different.

As I've said in the past, I had two dogs with mammary cancer, one did fine with a mastectomy but the other ultimately lost her battle, or rather I had her put down when her quality of life was in question. However, I would be remiss if I didn't chime in about chemo...we did chemo with Kyra and it bought her two years and little if no ill effects.

She had 7 rounds of chemo, post surgery though, and walked out of every one without a care in the world. Unlike humans, there seems to fewer side effects with dogs. My vet told me that she rarely sees any bad side effects, including hair loss, with chemo in dogs. And Kyra was a total fluff ball of a Samoyed who kept her smile through out.

I'm not insinuating that chemo is the way to go for you, but I just wanted to chime in that it's not as scary an option as it sounds and for us, it bought us some very precious time.

So sorry for the news....

Maria

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm glad, though, that you and Cheyenne share so much love. That'll make things harder for you, Linda, but much easier for Cheyenne as she enjoys the time she has left. She's lucky to have you. I'm holding good thoughts for you both.

(Linda, I sent you a PM.)

When Fergie ran in the Komen Race for the Cure on June 10, some people near us noticed her official number and that she was running in memory of Betty. We all had "in memory of" and "in celebration of" pink sheets. They said that, even though it didn't say so, Fergie could be running in honor of (I think) Holly. I asked who Holly is. She's their friend's dog who has breast cancer.

Next year, Fergie will have Cheyenne's name on a pink sheet pinned to her leash. We all hope it will be an "in honor of" sheet. Miracles do happen.

Nancy, that is the sweetest thought! Thank you so much for that. And yes, miracles do happen.

Bustopher, thank you for your words. I know you are right. But, right now, I am in the middle of a pitty party, so I will have to wait a bit for the "reality" to come about! So very sorry to hear about Missy. And I think it stinks that you had to feel you couldn't let us know because of that "other" post. Please keep us informed of her. Knowing we are going through this together will help us both, I hope.

Maria, I appreciate your input. I am glad it worked out for your baby, but it is not a reasonable option for Cheyenne. The vet and I spoke at length about options and prognosis.

To all the others who responded, I thank you so much! To the ones who have loved and lost a furbaby, my heart goes out to you, and thank you for thinking of us, even when it reminds you of what you went through. I have spent the day crying and just generally feeling sorry for myself. Reading all the posts has made it so much better. I can't thank y'all enough. I don't know that it will be 5mos. or what. I just am gonna love her and be happy for what ever time there is.

Y'all are just the greatest people. You will never know how it has helped me, knowing y'all care so much. Thanks again.

P.S. JoeAnne, I think it would not have changed the outcome for Wolfie much, but it sure gave him one really great day before he had to go. I think he thanked you for that. I would rather give Cheyenne one really great day than 7 lousy days. You did good letting him have that day.

So sorry to hear what your going through. My thoughts are with you both. Love her BIG while you have her and know when you say goodbye that you both have given your all. Hugs and Wags from us.

Kristin and Hoku (and I'm gonna go give him a hug right now)

Linda, I'm so sorry. I wish there was something I could do to add more time. I hope you two enjoy the best last few months ever so that you can cherish the memories for a lifetime.

(Boyden's seems to be all better but still doing crate rest for the most part.)