BC Boards

River needs board mojo

Late last night I noticed River had an eye issue. Her right eye was slightly swollen along the top lid and some white skin protruded a bit into her viewing area. Not emergent, just swollen a bit, so I figured I'd check status in the morning. Either she got some dirt/tanbark in her eye during agility class yesterday afternoon (although was fine during day) or she was injured from something outside or another one of my dogs during evening potty break.

However, this morning the eye was swollen shut. After a few minutes of seeing me, she managed to crack it open. There is a bit of clearish drainage in her inner eye... so I'm guessing it just kinda sealed a bit shut while she was asleep. But overall the swelling is MUCH worse and her eye is only barely open as it is.

She sees the vet in 2.5 hrs. That was the soonest I could get her in w/out just dropping her off and leaving her there.

So, if you could please send some positive thoughts River's way, we'd both appreciate it. I'll post an update in a few hours.

Photo taken just now:

river-eye.jpg

Just got back from the vet. They think perhaps something got in her eye and may or may not still be in there. So I had to leave her there so they could flush the eye - which they might do a few times. So in another few hours I should hear status. Either way they said they will probably giver her meds for inflammation.

Sounds like nothing too serious so far, just looks terrible and red now. :rolleyes:

Yes, River is home. They cleaned out her eye the best they could, since it was still very swollen and just got moreso by poking at it. They didn't find anything - but that doesn't mean there wasn't or still is. I have some saline and some de-inflammatory drops and she goes back Friday afternoon to see if the swelling went down and where to go from there.

So... everything is still the same so far.

Well, my Mojo wishes River a swift recovery....poor puffy eye!! Did they do a fluoroscein test to see if the cornea had any abrasions? It would look like a flurorescent yellow/green liquid substance, and if you weren't present for the test, there might still be some colored residue on her face from it.

Well, my Mojo wishes River a swift recovery....poor puffy eye!! Did they do a fluoroscein test to see if the cornea had any abrasions? It would look like a flurorescent yellow/green liquid substance, and if you weren't present for the test, there might still be some colored residue on her face from it.

They didn't say they did, but I think they did based on the yellowish but not goey teardrops from her eyes when I picked her up.

They didn't say they did, but I think they did based on the yellowish but not goey teardrops from her eyes when I picked her up.

Well, that sounds like a good sign, then, if they didn't say anything about it to you--seems like whatever got into her eye left the surface of the cornea intact. How is she doing today?