BC Boards

Difficulty keeping my BC

I posted here months back when I adopted my BC mix. Don't get me wrong, my BC Polo is a wonderful puppy and all, but shortly after adopting him I tore 2 ligaments in my ankle. It has been over 10 weeks since the injury occurred and recently got out of a cast, and it looks like I will need surgery on my ankle. If I were to get surgery, I will be impaired for about a year. It seems very unfair to Polo 4 to 5 days of the week where he can't get his proper exercise since I must keep my walking distance to a minimum (actually none at all). He has all this pent up energy that can't be released properly. He knows how to play fetch, but he's only willing to cooperate for about 5 minutes before I have to get the ball myself. I have issues with taking him to dog parks since some owners have aggressive and sick dogs there. He goes to daycare, but the place is so booked that he only goes twice a week (sometimes 3).

I'm (or was) a runner and it would('ve) be great if he run with me. With the news that I may not be able to run again, it is taking a toll on me mentally. Both Polo and I are depressed because I can't go out that often and Polo can't get his exercise. Polo is a great pup, I don't want to give him up unless I absolutely need to.

So the question is, what are some ways I can let Polo get his daily exercise needs without having my to walk much. Biking isn't possible since ankle motion is needed.

Pics for clicks.

When I first got him:

Polo8.jpg

Polo11.jpg

Polo13.jpg

This weekend:

polo103.jpg

polo83.jpg

polo70.jpg

Sorry to hear about your injury :rolleyes: You might find that 'exercising' his brain is a good way to tire him out. Find a book about teaching him tricks. You can get him into an obedience class. I know of one champion obedience competitor (in Canada) that does everything from her wheelchair. Are you in a position to hire a dogwalker (runner) for him on occasion?

I'm sure there will be plenty of other suggestions for you. Polo looks like a real darling :D

Teach him fetch - either with a frisbee for ball. No movement for you, can do in seated position = tired pup. You can also mentally stimulate with learning tricks, again no movement required from you. My dogs get most of their exercise while in my yard and without me moving around - usually by playing fetch.

We never go for walks/runs/biking on the leash since I'd have to drive to somewhere to do it, at which point I just drive to the dogpark instead. On that note, know anyone else who might like the have playdates with your pup so he can rough and tumble with another friendly dog?

treadmill

clicker training

can you borrow a golf cart or atv to job him beside you safely?

LOL, I have tried treadmill, if I don't catch him, he'd plant his face right into the mat (he's so afraid to move). Also, pets are not allowed in the apartment gym.

Can't get my hands on a golf cart or atv.

Can you elaborate on the clicker training?

Sorry to hear about your injury :rolleyes: You might find that 'exercising' his brain is a good way to tire him out. Find a book about teaching him tricks. You can get him into an obedience class. I know of one champion obedience competitor (in Canada) that does everything from her wheelchair. Are you in a position to hire a dogwalker (runner) for him on occasion?

I'm sure there will be plenty of other suggestions for you. Polo looks like a real darling :D

Teach him fetch - either with a frisbee for ball. No movement for you, can do in seated position = tired pup. You can also mentally stimulate with learning tricks, again no movement required from you. My dogs get most of their exercise while in my yard and without me moving around - usually by playing fetch.

We never go for walks/runs/biking on the leash since I'd have to drive to somewhere to do it, at which point I just drive to the dogpark instead. On that note, know anyone else who might like the have playdates with your pup so he can rough and tumble with another friendly dog?

Heh, tricks. He learns them fairly quickly. He'll play fetch, but his attention span doesn't last long enough to tire him out, after awhile he'll just stop going after the ball. He's been to an obedience class (prior to injury) and lead the class in learning new tricks. Funny, I got in trouble for teaching him 4 weeks of obedience in a week. He learned how to open bottled water, I have timed him (1:07) to open a bottled water (once cap is removed, it is taken away).

As for getting a dog walker or runner, I think I can find a walker, not so sure about runner though. I'll have to look around. Money is a bit tight since I'll need to save up more for the surgery (even with insurance covering 90% of the fees, it still gets expensive. I'm at $8k all ready, before insurance, for all the medical evaluations and therapy and that's before surgery). My neighbors have agreed to set up playdates, but never happened, so I'll have to check into that.

Tricks and mentel exercise is great for keeping him tired out. I don't think that because your not able to run and walk you should have to give him up. I don't always jog with Black Jack every night and he's happy to just chase his frisbee for a while at night too. Besides I'm sure he's happy to just be with you too. If he wants to play he has toys doesn't he? I'm sure things will work out. I hope your ankle gets better.

ETA: Where do you live?

Does Polo like playing tug-o-war? Our boys do but they can go thru a tug toy pretty fast. We ended up going to a home improvement store and buying some nylon rope. DH tied some knots in it and melted the ends and the boys have a blast! It looks like he still has some puppy teeth but he might enjoy just chewing on the nylon rope.

If you have a fenced yard, you could get him a big ball like this: video

(This is on my mind today as our latest one just got punctured :rolleyes: .) It makes them tired as heck and if you have a fenced place, you don't have to move at all! Playing it out in the open as we do requires a lot of walking/running since not all dogs (ie not Kessie) can steer the da*n thing in the direction they want it to go.

I second the playdate idea!

When Fergie was a pup, she also hit a point in "fetch" where she would decide it was my turn to go get the ball. I just held out and told her that she had to find her ball. She would also bring it part way back and drop it. I'd tell her that wasn't where I was. I outlasted her, and the game eventually continued.

Then again, I don't know how old your guy is. Maybe 5-minute games at closer intervals are fine.

Then again, my 3 kids were all over 25 by then - so I'm a seasoned expert in such tactics.

Teach the pup to get specific things for you in the house. The archives have great examples. Then, when you have the next surgery, the pup can be a real help. Not all service dogs are Seeing Eye you know.

My dogwalker comes and plays with my dogs for 20-30 minutes every day (I am lucky she is a friend and I only pay $11 per day but before she opened her own company I paid $14 - still a big discount). Give up doggie day and get a dogwalker - they will do things for 20-30 minutes a day and it is one on one attention. Tell the dogwalker your story and maybe you can find a sucker who will give you a reduced cost.

Freeze a kong to help waste time, get one of those trick cubes and put one of the meals in it and let him work for his food, teach new tricks including service dog things like picking up dropped items, turning on/off lights etc... this will help you after surgery.

Good luck

(This is on my mind today as our latest one just got punctured :rolleyes: .) It makes them tired as heck and if you have a fenced place, you don't have to move at all! Playing it out in the open as we do requires a lot of walking/running since not all dogs (ie not Kessie) can steer the da*n thing in the direction they want it to go.

What kind of ball is that and how well does it hold up? Quinn is so hard on his toys. He loves soccer balls but they don't last long at all. I'd love to get him something he could bat around like that and not have it ruined the first time he plays with it.

This was his last soccer ball, back in May. It was a cheap one and only lasted minutes.

RemainsoftheSoccerBall.jpg

Guest WoobiesMom

Yeah, where do you live? I'd come and give that little guy lots of luvs!!!! Walking is fine at his age anyway, you don't want him to end up like you with all that running! :rolleyes: (Sorry, gallows humor) I'm sure you could find an eager, dog-loving teen who could walk him daily for a decent price (probably less than doggie daycare). You can google clicker training and gets lots of great sites, and it is a good way to tire him out mentally, I had to go that route when I first got Woobs since I hurt my back badly a week after I got him, as I recovered, I could only walk him slowly with a cane but he adjusted. Can you wrestle with him by sitting down on the floor with him? I use that plus indoor fetch with Woobie when I'm busy. Have you tried the Scooter Store? Maybe the insurance would cover it! LOL Sorry, there goes that gallows humor again. Don't give up your pup unless your situation becomes a permanent disability and even if that happened, it could probably be worked around. Keeping my fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for you!!

my dogs have a toy called a holey roller. It is like the rubber skeleton of a soccer ball. You can put tennis balls and other toys inside it too for puzzle games. It is six years old!!!!! and was outside most of the time. I won it a an agility trial many moons ago so I don't know who makes it.

Does Polo like playing tug-o-war?

Polo is the worst dog when it comes to tug-o-war. :rolleyes: Rather than pulling away from you, he comes to you with the toy in his mouth. You change direction and he follows.

I got him a backpack today to give him a job when he's out. It's still a little too big for him, so he'll have to grow into it.

WoobiesMom:

I'm in Nashville, TN. Polo isn't much of a wrestler, he doesn't give put much effort into the wrestle. He loves being chased, when my coworkers visits, they can play chase for 20+ minutes. Sadly, involves a lot of running.

I was thinking of getting a monster truck remote control car (to use on grass). I think that should keep him busy.

His short attempt at fetch.

polo98.jpg

Well, he mastered his puppy eye look.

polo85.jpg

What he thinks of my driving...

polo79.jpg

Can you elaborate on the clicker training?

Here's some info on clicker training I got from someone's post a few days ago...http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/index.htm

I also picked up a book named The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training by Pamela Dennison. It has a lot on clicker training. I picked up a couple of clickers for $1.49 at PetSmart... http://amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_e/103-909594...ve+dog+training

FWIW: I have been finding that tossing a ball or frisbee or rope with knots in it for my dog Bear in the backyard for 10 minutes does more to tire him out than walking or hiking for 1/2 hour 2x per day or more does.

Good luck,

Kimberley

Conner loved her laser pointer...she'd play until she couldn't play any more...wore her out!!!...great exercise for her and not much movement for me after I'd worked a long shift! I would run her up and down the hall before I put in the hardwood floors...after I put in the floors she would only play on the rug. There is a link to a video of her below. Feel better!!!

Darn, that's to far away for me to come. I would have played with him for free :rolleyes: That's one cute puppy.

I like to R/C car idea. I bet it would keep him busy.

Shetlander, try the "dog" Jolly ball. They're just like the one for horses but without the handle. Some even have a ball that rolls inside of it too. They're great and best of all they don't get old. My horse is always pawing at it, stepping on it, even rolling on it and it just pops back to shape.

Conner loved her laser pointer...she'd play until she couldn't play any more...wore her out!!!...great exercise for her and not much movement for me after I'd worked a long shift!

I would really not suggest this form of play to most people/dogs. You're quite lucky your dog does not have obsessive tendencies. A laser point is a great way to develop them in dogs who lean that way, and is just a stepping stone to light and shadow chasing/obsession.

PDing, what did you do with your puppy before you could no longer run? Because he's too young for any kind of distance running anyway. Plus, my dogs could run all day, but all it does is give them super endurance - they still get antsy without some kind of brain exercise as well. So keep trying to develop that fetch drive, and then make him do tricks for each throw. Tweed has a couple dozen he can do.

I am really glad to see he has finally grown into his head!

RDM

Raising a happy Border Collie without running yourself can definitely be done. I don't really run with mine. I've always gone in more for quality vs. quantity when it comes to their physical exercise, and I tend to focus more on mental exercise and physical fitness anyway.

In the winter, for example, I do not go outside with my dogs. OK, maybe every now and again when there's a fresh snow I can't resist going out for a little to watch them, but for the most part I am not out there in the winter walking them or playing with them.

But they are far from neglected. I play with them indoors.

Some of the games I've played with my Border Collies:

Get a large pillow and hold a tennis ball behind it where the dog can't see. Make some kind of noise (I go pfft! like a rocket launcher sound) and then hurl the ball across the room. The point is to try to make it so the dog can't anticipate where the ball is coming from. I actually do this over the back of a sofa that we have that isn't against a wall. They get really into this because they have to try to figure out which way the ball is going to come flying out.

Get two laundry baskets and place them each about 7 feet away, but spaced well apart. Throw a ball into one of the baskets. Again, my dogs get really into trying to figure out where it's going to go in time to catch it before it lands in a basket.

Teach the dog to search for a toy. Start by putting the dog in a sit or down-stay (not a formal one) and let him see you hide a toy almost in plain view and then give a cue "find it!". After doing that several times, try to put the dog where he can't see where you are hiding the toy, but hide it in the same place. Again, "find it". Once he gets that, start to hide it somewhere very close. Eventually I can have my dog stay in another room, I can hide the toy really well and he can spend a long time looking for it.

You can also build toy drive. If your dog will fetch a little, you can build that.

For fitness, I teach my dogs to spin in slow circles in both directions. To play bow and hold that position. To "beg" and stand on their hind legs.

And I do clicker training. I can take the edge off of cabin fever with 5 minute free shaping sessions.

I think that doing some training with your dog and playing some games that he or she enjoys could work, especially if you can get a dog walker on top of that, or have your co-worker come and play chase with your dog every couple of weeks.

I agree with the laser light thing, my kids found cheap ones at Wal-mart and bought them to play with Whim and it only took 10 min before I saw the warning lights flashing in my head. So they are off limits with him but the cats are cool. A remote car is an idea I would attach a tuggie or something to it to save wear and tear on the car. My gang loves to chase the car, but its rough when they actually catch it!

DW (who is home with the dogs during the day while I work) had knee replacement surgery in January, and had extreme difficulty in walking for some time prior to her surgery. Annie (the BC) loves to play ball. DW cannot walk long distances (recovery period for knee replacement is up to 1 year), and exercises Annie during the day by sitting in a chair on our deck and throwing a soft rubber inflatable ball (we do not use tennis balls due to potential damage to Annie's teeth) with a lacrosse stick (which launches the ball for a considerable distance). Annie loves the game, and it keeps her well-exercised. She has gotten to the point that she runs full-speed to a predetermined spot (of her choice) and tries to catch the ball in the air, then runs back and deposits the ball in the lacrosse stick net before taking off again full speed. Perhaps you could consider something similar.

Hi, I was told one year of recuperation after my ACL was torn in a skiing accident last January (06). Several months of physical therapy were required before they would even do the ACL reconstructive surgery. After two months of post-op physical therapy, I was able to start walking regularly around my neighborhood. I even danced with my husband at our wedding, two months after the surgery!

But I was depressed about my lack of mobility, my struggle to go up and down stairs, my chronic limping, etc. It made me very empathetic to folks who live their entire lives dealing with mobility disabilities!

Today, a year and a half later, I am again an avid runner, running 3-4 times a week, 3-5 miles each time, with Cody. I also walk about 3-5 miles a day even if I do the morning run. I only limp early in the morning when I first get out of bed. I go up and down stairs fine.

So please think positively! I kept saying "I AM dancing at my wedding. I AM going to run again, etc."

I am 48 years old so I'm not a young kid that had this happen. If you have been in good shape before the problems started that is a big advantage. THINK POSITIVE!