BC Boards

Difficulty keeping my BC

I think the "dog runner" idea is a good one. Advertise in your neighborhood or among your former running buddies. There will be someone out there who loves running, loves dogs, loves running with a dog, but doesn't/can't have one. I lived in apartments for a good few years and didn't have dogs, so I would happily take a friend's dog with me for a run if I was going.

No Laser Pointers!!!! Seriously, you'll regret it. He'll start getting neurotic about flashlights, reflections, shadows, the reflection of your watch face on the roof of the car.

Pearse

second, third, forth...ditto...NO LASER POINTER. This is not a good idea fo any animal to play with because it teaches them the idea that "prey" can exist with no scent or texture. It translates fast...scary fast... to obessive compulsive behaviors with any light, and even imaginary lights. With cats I don't even recommend it because the pointer, not being held to the physical limits of a real toy or "prey" it can move in sporadic ways that the cat...being involved in the "hunt"... can end up hurting itself trying to keep up. Cats have had bad back injuries, even smashed themselves through glass trying to keep up with the light "rat".

~~~~

If you want a good trick dvd/video try "take a bow - wow!". Lots of examples that with a clicker, treats and time you can teach tons of fun stuff - no running required!

About the Laser Pointers. I never thought of that but it makes a lot of sense. I had one and would play with Lance with it some and he was developing those obsessive behaviors. Now I think I can link them to the laser pointer. He would dig at the carpet like he was trying to get at something that wasn't there. And he would chase shadows and lights. I haven't used the laser pointer, I think my nephew stole it, for a long time and Lance no longer exhibits those behaviors.

Personally, I bet Polo would be happier staying with you, even if it's less exercise. I'd keep working on fetch/retrieve. He'll get it, and it's a great exerciser (I'd be lost without the frisbee for Jack). Also, you've gotten good ideas about a dog walker/runner. Best of luck with everything!

I wonder if you could call your local 4H club adn see if there were any groups nearby that might be willing to help you exercise and train Polo. Do you have mandatory community work (volunteer hours) that local highschool students must fulfill before graduation because I bet the teachers could recommend a a nice kid to come by and help. Just a thought if you don't have friends with children or friends who could pop by to exercise him

sara

What kind of ball is that and how well does it hold up? Quinn is so hard on his toys. He loves soccer balls but they don't last long at all. I'd love to get him something he could bat around like that and not have it ruined the first time he plays with it.

It's a kids' ball they have (had - summer stuff is gone already :D ) at our local toy store. I've never seen them anywhere else. Its "skin" is a little thicker and tougher than that of a normal kiddy ball, but I think the most important thing is the size: if it's well inflated, there's just no way to get those jaws around it, no matter how hard you work at it!

DSCF2049kl2.jpg

They hold up fine until they get stuck on something, or until I get careless and use them in very cold weather without blowing them up a bit (which is what happened yesterday). I'm always on the lookout for big balls that aren't heavy. Smaller ones don't stand a chance with "Jaws" on the prowl :rolleyes:.

As for inside games, getting treats out of objects (cardboard boxes for example) is a game Kessie enjoys. Once I tied an old shoe to a rope and put treats in it for her to "hunt":

2005_1112bildererste0012kl.jpg

2005_1112bildererste0010kl.jpg

About the Laser Pointers. I never thought of that but it makes a lot of sense. I had one and would play with Lance with it some and he was developing those obsessive behaviors. Now I think I can link them to the laser pointer. He would dig at the carpet like he was trying to get at something that wasn't there. And he would chase shadows and lights. I haven't used the laser pointer, I think my nephew stole it, for a long time and Lance no longer exhibits those behaviors.

Wow...so sorry for the bad suggestion. :rolleyes: I didn't have any of these other issues with Conner and never thought about any of them. It was just a game for us that was over when I put the light away. What made me think post to this thread was that I had an ACL replacement and during my recovery used the pointer when my mobility was limited. Thanks for setting me straight. :D

Wow...so sorry for the bad suggestion. :rolleyes: I didn't have any of these other issues with Conner and never thought about any of them. It was just a game for us that was over when I put the light away.

One of my friends also used a laser pointer with her BC and didn't have any problems. She always made a big point of showing the dog she was putting the pointer away and that the game was over. Maybe that helped prevent OCD stuff from developing? I'd be too nervous to risk it with my dogs now that I've heard all the horror stories. Why chance encouraging weird, troubled behaviors? But glad it worked out for you and Conner :D

I got him this big dice where you can hide food in it. It's suppose to give them a job and make them work to get the food. Well the thing is quite tough, once I put the food in, I can't get it out (at least not all of it).

He's been good the past few days, learned a couple of new basic tricks and running his butt off at the doggie park.

There are alot of things you could do with you sitting down. Teaching him to play tug or fetch are great but you could also hide treats and/or toys around your house/yard for him to find. Make a big game of it and make the treats harder and harder to find. Teaching tricks seems to tire dogs out both physically as well as mentally and using a clicker can make this even more challenging and rewarding for both of you. You could take him to a dog park where you could sit and watch him play with other dogs if the other owners are ok with it, and this way you get to meet other owners who may want to arrange play dates in the future. There is also the option of getting a dog walker in if you feel the need. I think you and your dog can work things out to suit both of you!

I'm so sorry to hear of the injury. I hope things work out for you. Polo sure is a cutie. If you weren't 4hrs away, Polo could have a play date here. He'd definitely tire himself out running and playing with Nykie and the Shelties. :rolleyes: