BC Boards

Borderdoodles

Morabs, Quarabs, Arabloosa, Pintaloosa, Anglo-whatever, any kind of draft/TB eg. shire warmblood etc. Take your pick. Some may have been established for a long time and now considered a breed, but others are just crosses that people pick a name for.

Ok, Morabs and Quarabs I've heard of, and certainly Appendix. I guess I just never thought of that as a designer breed - I figured it was a shorthand way of saying "She's a QH/Arab cross." But now that you mention it, I do hear complaints from my dressage friends about the term "american Warmblood." :rolleyes:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The thing that realy bothers me is that these animals are clearly just an accessory for some idiot, or something an idiot buys because they don't know any better."

AKB, I'd like to take this a little further....Not only do they consider them accessories and don't know any better, there are idiots out there who want to be one of the "1st" to own something different or they're stupid enough to think because of the high price, it must be 'valuable'. I use to work with this woman who's husband would only buy the most expensive item. If they wanted a DVD player, it had to be the most expensive one, etc. In his mind, you get want you pay for so if it was expensive, it had to be good. IMO, not only was he an idiot, he was a snobby idiot.

I don't understand why people don't just buy a poodle. That way, you're positive you're getting a dog that doesn't shed.

Because of the Poodle stigma. Poodles aren't cool. Poodles wear hair spray. Women in sequined gowns like them.

Poodles have to be adulterated just enough with a breed that men's men aren't afraid to take out on a leash. Then, they are socially acceptable. Never mind that when you cross, say, a Lab with a Poodle, you just end up with a dog that looks like a coarse, really ugly Poodle. (Or like a purebred Otterhound, but those are so rare most people will never see one in the flesh anyway.)

The demand for non-shedding pet dogs is so high that I almost wish someone would really develop a suitable breed, and/or breed Poodles to satisfy consumer urges (i.e., for a coarser build and more phlegmatic nature) and prevent the random breeding of doodle varieties. The soft wavy coat really is a highly desired trait that is not available in very many breeds, especially not a wide enough variety to be desirable to a wide variety of owners.

Just a few hybrid "designed" horses and livestock

Welsh/Arab pony - for jumping/hunter for children

Morab - for showing and pleasure riding

AngloArab (Throughbred/Arab) for hunting and jumping

Thoroughbred/Draft - aka the orginal "Irish Hunter".

Warmbloods are often crossed with thoroughbred to lighten them up - both in temperament and gait.

Cattle: the "Black Baldie" (Angus and Hereford) for meat stock

Brangus - Angus/Brahma - now it's own breed, culled for the better charateristics of both

Braford - Brahma/Hereford. ""

Sheep:

Coopworth: Fantastic wool/meat sheep created from the Romney and the Corrediele.

Ile de France: the up and coming terminal sire for meat lambs. Bred originally from the English Leicester and the Rambouliett.

The legendary Scottish Mule - BlueFace Leceister and Scottish Blackface. "The" ewe for the hill or excellent meat lambs as well.

Dogs: Yep, back to dogs....the guide dog association has great results with Golador (golden/lab).

It's all about the quality of the orginal stock, the castration or extreme culling (if it's going to be a breed) of the f1 (first generation) hybrid.

Random breeding, is just as it sounds.... random. But well done, a hybrid can be useful in the right circumstances.

As for the horse overpopulation problem..... Don't get me started on bad breeding practices...and frankly, slaughter is not a bad option for a lot of the horses out there. Beats bad lives.

AKB, I'd like to take this a little further....Not only do they consider them accessories and don't know any better, there are idiots out there who want to be one of the "1st" to own something different or they're stupid enough to think because of the high price, it must be 'valuable'.

I know a few people who have these doodle dogs, spending $1000 per pup and they love those dogs for whatever reason. One of them spent $7,000 on an operation for some lung issue that showed up in the dog. Personally, I find it amazing that someone would spend that kind of money to buy a mix breed that strikes me as homely and ungainly. But those people sure love them and think they're the best dogs around. I guess we all think our own dogs are the best dogs around.

When a coworker was buying her first doodle (she has two now), I said a number of times, "Why not just get a Standard Poodle? Those are great dogs." I also said "There are lots of dogs that would be as 'hypo-allergenic.' A lot of the terriers don't shed. My Lhasa doesn't shed. Poodles don't shed. Why spend that much money for a mix?" All I got for my troubles were dirty looks and then dealing with her big slobbering dog when she'd bring him by the office. He did seem to have a pleasant personality, at least. But not my cup of tea.

The entire designer breed concept has infuriated me since the day I learned of it. Though I've no idea why I harbored this illusion, I sincerely did not think a human being could be so stupid as to include the Border collie in such a trend...Borderjacks were "bad" enough. I've heard everything from pootalians to schnoodles to English boodles to "silver frosted" Goldendoodles, but Borderdoodle? I suppose it makes sense someone so brainless would be uncapable of creativity...even the name is lame.

Turns out, after reading comments on video, Oreo is not Borderdoodle.

He is Springer poodle mix........

SHARGRAVE (2 weeks ago)

Yeah.... you probably saw him! His old name was Jerry.... and his brother was Tom? He was in NC! The adoption worked out perfectly. Ori (Oreo) is now 1.5 yrs and doing really good! But now we´re calling him a Spring-A-Poo instead, he acts and looks more like a springer, and our vet says so too. xD Bye!

Lance

Well, you can't fault Oreo's owners for finding him in a PetFinder listing and getting him from a shelter. Looks like he's a good family dog.

I saw a Standard Poodle on the beach here who had been clipped about 1.5 inches long all over. No poufs or foofs anywhere. He looked great, and you could really see what a nice, bouncy, athletic dog he was without the distraction of the frou-frou grooming. I complimented his owner, who acted like he was embarassed for the dog. He said the dog had needed to be clipped short for some reason (which I've forgotten), and he was going to let his coat grow back and get a poodle clip as soon as possible. Poodle owners are why poodles have such an undeservedly silly reputation! Jeez, guys, let 'em look like dogs!

I do like Standard Poodles, though, and wish people wouldn't always be crossing them with something else, especially Border Collies! Our friend Shadow is a great dog.

shadow2.jpg

We had several Aussiedoodles relinquished to the shelter about 10 days ago and always have a ton of terrier and poodle mixes on the adoption floor - they go incredibly fast. I've tried to tell my bosses we should market all our mixes as designer breeds, but I get funny looks lol.

A few months back I wrote a thread called Aussiedoodle?! ?! ?! after I found out what one of our neighbours' dog was.

I did some research online that day and combined with my one and only experince to an Aussidoodle, man, that's a messed up dog! Full of energy, but totaly spastic, with ZERO impulse control or responseness to any commands from owner. She was cool as a playmate for Ouzo (they moved recently), but I wouldn't have taken that dog if she were to beg me (well, maybe if she begged nicely :D ) See on the above thread a link and quote to someone else's description of the doodle from hell :rolleyes:

Ugh... reading about that CKC thing pisses me off. A friend bought me a CKC registered chihuahua. He assumed it was Canadian Kennel Club, and the poor little thing came to me and had obviously been beaten (her skull had been pretty much crushed at some point). So I went to the breeders site and saw CKC registered "Shi-poos", "Poo-chis", and "Shi-chis". Needles to say both my friend and I were pissed off, my $2000 chihuahua turned out to be from a puppy mill. -.-

Painted ponies- I didn't mean to minimize the issues you find in equine welfare- I grew up near enough to Fairmont park to know how many unwanted animals are produced by the racing industry alone. Then you have the whole PMU thing- I wasn't trying to say that problems aren't there. I hope I didn't offend you. Personally though, I don't see crossbred horses as a problem at all, I see badly bred horses as the problem there. I don't have any issues with people breeding wisely to make a better jumper or a more supple dressage horse, those horses are better planned than most quarter horses these days (not bashing quarter horses, it's just a breed that has become way too popular). I don't have an issue with crossbreeding for a purpose, like in the example of guide dogs, it's the whole attitude behind designer dogs that infuriates me. Anyway, I hope I didn't sound too flip about the horse thing. My mom actually has a rescued thoroughbred, he was in awful shape when she got him.

Last night I came across a Puggle (pug x beagle). If I had been told that the dog came from the local shelter I would have been so much happier. :rolleyes: It seems like people are now just taking whatever dog is their neighbor and crossing them, giving them a cute name, then selling the pups for outragous prices just for the profit. It makes me sick. :D

There is a poster on the BC rescue board with what she says is a BC/poodle mix. Known mix, but supposedly accidental, BTW. He's super-duper cute! But I have to wonder, since he looks just like a smooth border collie, and I've never seen a smooth "doodle".

And yes, I am big time opposed to the intentional breeding of mixes, that go for thousands of dollars, when thousands are dying in shelters every day.

I met a woman in class here that had a Labradoodle imported from Australia or New Zealand. Actually, it was a very lovely dog, with a pleasing appearance and a nice, friendly, polite, calm temperment. The price paid for this dog (according to the woman, and I'm assuming shipping included) was $10,000.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they have carefully bred and culled those "over there" for service dogs and aren't just first-generation crosses.

The owner was absolute dead meat when it came to handling her dog - sort of like a zombie on the handler's end of the lead. If the poor dog hadn't been so nice, it would have been a disaster. Anyway, she was planning on importing a male and producing a bunch of puppies for sale. I think she was seeing $$$.

Some people have WAY more money and time to connive than they have brains and common sense...

I have also seen folks with Puggles and other similar mutts that rarely demonstrate the better qualities of either parent. What's scary is just how much folks are proud of these deliberately-bred mongrels, that they are willing to pay outrageous sums for them, and how that demand just encourages folks to breed more with no personal responsibility.

Some people have WAY more money and time to connive than they have brains and common sense...

I have also seen folks with Puggles and other similar mutts that rarely demonstrate the better qualities of either parent. What's scary is just how much folks are proud of these deliberately-bred mongrels, that they are willing to pay outrageous sums for them, and how that demand just encourages folks to breed more with no personal responsibility.

Not to mention how so many can rationalize their choices to the point that they are truly convinced they have some sort of "pure bred" versus a designer mutt.

Maria

A lot of vets like Pugles better than Pugs because they can actually breath! I believe that was one of the reasons that cross was originally made, to get a dog that is cute like a pug but without the health problems. A whole litter of pugles came into the local HS (accident) and were gone in a day.

Anyone ever seen a weimerdoodle?! I have - very sad - looked like a dorberman cross oddly enough and full of behavior issues (hyper reactive to sound and handling mostly).

I was in Petco recently. Went to the counter, and right in front of me was a woman with a Doodle of some sort. So I said, "Is that a yellow lab x poodle mix?" She said, "No, it's a purebred GoldenDoodle." I said, "There's no such thing." She said, "Yes, mom's a purebred Golden Retriever, and dad is a purebred Poodle." And I said, "Oh ... right. And I bet you got taken to the bank for that one, eh?" She said, "No, it wasn't too bad. Only about $900. I said, "Wow. For that price, you could have gotten ten of them at the shelter. But breeders will continue popping them out until buyers become at least as half as smart as the dogs they're buying. So tell me, what purebred dog registry do you register your crossbred purebred with?" She said, "Oh both of his parents are registered, but he's not. We can't register him yet." I said, "Yes ... yet. But not to worry. The AKC knows all about the almighty dollar, and it won't be long before their purebred registry accepts 'purebred' mutts." And then pointing to the things on the wall that you buy for a buck a piece and the money goes to the Humane Society ... I said, "Did you buy a few of those?" Looking around, she was like, "Um ... no ... I already cashed out ... I'll have to get one next time." I said, "Yeah, that's what I thought."

The clerk at the counter was hiding her head.

A lot of vets like Pugles better than Pugs because they can actually breath! I believe that was one of the reasons that cross was originally made, to get a dog that is cute like a pug but without the health problems. A whole litter of pugles came into the local HS (accident) and were gone in a day.

It would make sense if "puggles" were cute, but they aren't. They don't even look like Pugs and totally lack the charm (such as it is) of that breed. Anyway, for Christ's sake, there are zillions of dog breeds out there that can actually breathe without making more. Heck, there's enough variation in Pugs that one could theoretically breed for proper respiratory function without making a designer mix.

One thing I will say about "puggles" is that they are incredibly phenotypically consistent, much more so than some of the other designer crosses.

Because of the Poodle stigma. Poodles aren't cool. Poodles wear hair spray. Women in sequined gowns like them.

Poodles have to be adulterated just enough with a breed that men's men aren't afraid to take out on a leash. Then, they are socially acceptable.

Sadly true. It pisses me right off, this attitude. French police and military use standard poodles for working dogs. So hey, if it's good enough to sniff bombs and chew the arms off of criminals, why isn't it manly enough for you, eh?

Feh.

Real men don't blow a week's pay on some idiot's designer-mutt; Real men get shelter dogs.

I grew up next to a retired teacher who had two standard poodles, Piero and Suzette. I thought they were cool dogs then, and still think so. I would just always keep them in a puppy cut instead of the adult show cut. Certainly if I wanted the qualities that a poodle has I'd just get a real poodle and forget about crossing it with anything.

J.