BC Boards

Borderdoodles

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a fad. A stupid, annoying fad that ends up producing a ton of animals who may or may not have homes, but who certainly restrict the number of available homes for dogs already born.

We used to have a pretty cool black standard poodle in one of our old neighborhoods, name of Jo Jo. He taught endless toddlers to walk by holding onto his curly coat and shuffling sideways with him like he was a movable wall. (Well, he didn't MEAN to teach them, but toddlers could not resist gripping that coat - he was kept in a puppy clip - and he was tolerant and gentle, so he would just go slow and let them come along.) I was maybe 2.5 years old at most, but I still remember him with some "little kid" ('cause I was so mature and sophisticated by then) :rolleyes: wobbling along with both hands fisted into his coat.

I agree... if you like poodle traits, get a poodle... or get a poodle mix from a shelter.

I would just always keep them in a puppy cut instead of the adult show cut. Certainly if I wanted the qualities that a poodle has I'd just get a real poodle and forget about crossing it with anything.

One of my friends has a standard cream poodle who is a fun, fun dog. He is currently in a puppy clip, but for a few years, she kept him in the more traditional cut but corded. His looks were beyond cool then.

I have had the unfortunate pleasure of seeing puppies for sale (probably for a small fortune ) that were border collie x shitz tzu !!!!!It deeply disturbed me then and it does again now.I thought it might have been an unintential mix but have since seen another litter from same place .I wonder what you could call them ? I will leave that up to your imagination ha ha :rolleyes:

BTW we do have 2nd 3rd generations of ladradoodles here in Australia. They certainly dont cost some of the prices mentioned on this thread they are usually $250 -$500 and I think they are used for therapy dogs .My friend has a Groodle (aka golden doodle) who is the most gorgeous dog both looks and personality but I certainly do not agree with this stupid designer breeding industry.

Someone I play cards with on the Internet lost her dog and wanted another. I suggested the shelter. She said "No, want one just like Sprint- a cockapoo- I don't want a mutt. Boy- did I have a hard time explaining to her that a cockapoo WAS a mutt and she would be doing a better service to her and the dog if she adopted one from the shelter. Well, lo & behold, she searched the net and found someone with a cocker spaniel and a poodle selling the "purebred" cockapoo's for a whopping $450=650 a piece!!! And of course no eyes tested or hips or anything. Why didn't she get something from rescue or the shelter? I just don't understand some people.

Guest LJS1993
Sadly true. It pisses me right off, this attitude. French police and military use standard poodles for working dogs. So hey, if it's good enough to sniff bombs and chew the arms off of criminals, why isn't it manly enough for you, eh?

Feh.

Real men don't blow a week's pay on some idiot's designer-mutt; Real men get shelter dogs.

Well, I wouldn't exactly say the French are the standard for everything manly in this world. :D:rolleyes: Just kidding Tranquilis. :D Personally I think this whole "Puggle" and "BorderDoodle" craze is just another way of saying "mutt", except with a huge price tag and higher social acceptance. I mean there are "Pitadors", RottiePits, DoodlePits, Borgis, and all kinds of other almagamations of canines everyday at your local shelter. Are these dogs glorified? Nope, because they are at a rescue shelter and not some fancy breeder. I had a student this past year who loved dogs and would comment non-stop about getting a "Puggle". I flat out told her, "kid, just go to the local shelter and get yourself a mutt out of there". I doubt she listened to me, but oh well.

:D Back atcha.

Oh, the French can be plenty macho... they just don't call it machismo. :rolleyes:

I've had two pure-breds in my life... One was an utterly ruined mill dog (from the days before the AKC cracked down on registered mills), but still a good dog anyway (and I *will* take credit for that, thankyouverymuch!), the other was a field-bred German Short-Haired Pointer, an oustanding dog. All the rest have been mutts of one flavor or another, and some have been flat-out ugly. Matters not - all good dogs, though some better than others. All it takes is some love, care, and attention to detail. I don't need to spend a week's or a fortnight's pay to get a good dog - I find them wherever I go.

Guest WoobiesMom

If only.........

Shelters and Rescues could advertise their pups/animals as their designer breed designation (puggles, borderdoodles, etc), charge hundreds of dollars for them and then turn that money right back into helping their organizations.

And if only.........

Hollywood would cast shelter/rescue mixes in their movies instead of purebreeds and then getting a great mix from the local pound would be the cool thing to do rather than ruining a breed with popularity. I shuddered when I saw an Airedale in a Geico commercial and another in a pest control commercial and people started asking me "Hey! Isn't that the kind that's in those commercials?" I actually said "They're harder than they appear, only very experienced owners should have them."

I grew up when Benji was a famous mutt in movies. Here's a nice story about doing the right thing in Hollywood:

http://www.benji.com/JoeCamp/adoption.htm