BC Boards

How often does your puppy/dog take a bath?

I am very lucky that my puppy loves to be brushed and take baths. But most of the baths are really just filling the tub up with cool water and letter her splash around because she is hot. Or putting a bit of water in the tub so she can clean off her feet when it's been raining. She loves the water. She jumped into the bath when I was in it the other day. Scared both me and the puppy! :rolleyes: But I don't see the need for shampoo all the time. I don't want to dry out her skin and she smells fine. She has only been washed once with the shampoo. ( she's 3 months I got her at 7 weeks ) The other times it's just her playing in the water. Every time I look it up, it says it depends on the breed. She gets brushed a lot since her kennel floor has straw which gets stuck in her fur, and her coat is always very smooth and doesn't mat too much despite it being very thick and a bit curly.

Oh, that reminds me. The charity dog wash is tomorrow. Time for their annual bath!!

Does that answer your question?

Woo rolled in a compost heap the other day so he got a bath. I never bathe my dogs; once a year I pay someone else from a charity to do it.

RDM

My 4 get bathed (by me):

1. when they have turned green from rolling in fresh horse manure

2. when they are covered in mud from nose to tail

3.once in a blue moon when I want them to look 'clean and fluffy' :rolleyes:

They bath themselves:

1. if I'm trying to hose off a horse

2.anytime I have a waterhose in my hand

That makes me feel better. I was talking to a women today who has one of those little purse dogs. Anyways her "little pooky" was going in for her weekly spa and bath and I was thinking, geez if a little thing like that, who lives in a purse and wears a dress needs a bath every week, my poor dog must be filthy! We are getting her a little kids pool for when she wants to be in the water since she loves it so much, and it will save me cleaning out my tub everyday.

Fergie gets washed off if she gets into something yucky. Even then, it's usually hosing that area and using a little dog shampoo. She hasn't had a full bath in years.

Luckily, she's smooth-coated - and she seems to shed dirt. She can traipse through deep mud on a walk and come home clean.

She's not a water dog. Oh, she'll jump in the neighborhood pond if it's hot or if she hears thunder (why she thinks the pond is the place to hide from thunder is a mystery). And she does chase wavelets - but not real waves. We got her a kiddie pool when she was a pup. It bred mosquitoes - she occasionally lapped water out of it. That was all.

From October through April, Annie (a Rough Coat BC) goes to the groomer for a bath and a "make-over" (trim) roughly every 10-12 weeks; she usually get bathed once in between visits. During the summer, she loves to swim in a small, gentle stream near our home, so baths are a moot point.

How do you dry the dog when you're done bathing it? Air dry? Blow dryer? I ask becasue my SIL insists the reason why Whisper smells is because that undercoat dries too slowly. I think it's because she's rolling in things, but I can't argue the point because I don't know. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I always ensure that when I bathe Annie, it is on a sunny weekend day (I work during the week) when the temperature is not too cold. I bathe her around midday, dry her as best I can using a towel and a hair dryer on low heat, then walk her to let her air dry the rest of the way. I use EFA HyLyt shampoo, which not only conditions the coat and skin, but also leaves a pleasant coconut smell in the fur.

Someone commented on how clean my pups (7 months) are the other day. I didn't bother to tell her they had never had a bath. My adults get bathed maybe once a year, for the holidays. If they get really filthy (mud) I just hose them off.

ohh and salt water is great for their fur :D they are nice and soft afterwards :rolleyes: great for snuggles.... Oui' I miss my medium coat cuddly pooch :D

Maybe this is just me b/c mine don't live on a farm and are usually indoors most of the time. But I try to give my dogs a bath (all 3 with oatmeal shampoo that's good for their skin and coats) around once every two weeks. Usually ends up being once every three weeks though. Between that they get to splash around in a creek or the nearby lake every few days or so. They're just so pretty when they're all clean and soft. :rolleyes:

Whenever he rolls in poo. Like today. :rolleyes:

And even then it's not really a full bath I usually just wash the smelly spot!

Other than that, I leave him as is.

The last time he had an actual bath was when he rolled in some kind of carcass on the beach last winter. Peee-Eww! :D

My dog lives in an apartment, but still hasn't had a bath since last November :D He does get to swim about once every week or two, then everyone comments on how nice and shiny and clean his coat is. He does not smell.

He might get a bath next week, just before we go on our long trip, you know, just in case :rolleyes: Since we will be staying with my sister in law, who loves dogs, but also has a 1 year old daughter... so for the baby's sake, Ouzo will have to have his annual bath :D

I have given mine one bath so far in six and a half months. I don't think they really need a bath unless they roll in something. I have a rough coated BC and it's amazing that no matter how muddy his legs get, in 30 min or so he's clean without me doing anything. How cool is that? :rolleyes:

Nick has the amazing-BC-cleaning-power, so he's never had a bath. He climbs in any water trough avaialable, including attempting to wedge his 43 Lbs into a 2 gallon bucket...

Lu, the mutt, however, gets bathed or hosed off at least once a week because she'll roll in anything stinky. Gak.

I bathe my own dogs in our specifically designed 1/2 shower by the back door. They get bathed probably around 10 times a year - more or less depending how much they smell and/or rolled in something smelly. In the winter their legs and underbellies are constantly rinsed off with at least water and sometimes soap too to get the mud off.

Only when one rolls in something stinkier and stickier than manure, that won't rinse off with hose water. Never just for mud or dirt or manure (of the herbivore kind) - the hose does that job year-round. I'm not looking for pretty or fluffy because fluffy just means a dry coat to me.

Fortunately, they all love jumping in the stock tank to cool off or help get the dirt/manure off, and they are all tolerant to enthused about being hosed off.

Thank goodness for these non-greasy, Teflon coats!

whenever she gets in the ditch or the crick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This our third BC and oh yeah once BC #2 Katie got skinked. And this is good Lefty and I were in the shower the curtain parts she jumps in and there in the shower just lookin up like what's going on guys and when are WE going to do something was BC#1 Josey Wales; only bath she ever had. :rolleyes::D :D :D