BC Boards

Skidboot

Originally posted by Kitch:

Aren't they amazing? As I was watching it, I couldn't help comparing him to Katz. What a difference!

Same here. What a good guy. And what a smart dog!!

Even though the "most amazing dog you'll ever meet" is actually the tricolored bundle of quiet reproach lying at my feet here waiting for something to happen...how good to see someone else who's given an animal the most important place in his life, and is not ashamed to say so! Made my day . Thanks for sharing!

(And what an accent :rolleyes: - I'm used to British English so I had to prick my ears a bit to understand this guy! But worth it..."What is that all about? Why did this happen to me?" Very good question...Kessie never tells me the answer.)

I rarely post here anymore because I never seem to agree with anybody. It's like I'm the only one on a different page. I try to be a positive person and hate to hear people complaining again and again about the same old topics: dog parks, Jon Katz, and lazy dog owners. But I'm a BC guy so I still check in pretty regularly to see if, just possibly, somebody has posted something that will enrich my life and add value to my relationship with my dogs.

Thank you for this link. Kitch, I don't know you, but that short little film made my day. Thanks for sharing.

I first saw them on the first ever episode of petstar. I have always wondered how he trained though - just amazing, I can't figure it out!

I thouhgt I knew their story, but that was just a great video!

Originally posted by GeorgiaBC:

I rarely post here anymore because I never seem to agree with anybody. It's like I'm the only one on a different page. I try to be a positive person and hate to hear people complaining again and again about the same old topics: dog parks, Jon Katz, and lazy dog owners.

Actually, apart from John Katz who hits a nerve with me, I agree with you on all of this (and the list is a bit longer, isn't it?) . When it comes to "goody two shoes against the big bad world"-threads, I normally feel part of the big bad world. But surely no-one forces you to read them?!

Anyway, that was a heartwarming little film! I might just watch it again if something gets me down today.

I LIKE that guy. He is one of the good examples of our race. That the dog is great goes without saying. I'd love to share all my thoughts about that video and what I've been thinking since, but I shall refrain and just say that I think it has struck a chord with all of us because we are really all like that in some way too. Kitch, thanks for sharing it as I wouldn't have seen it otherwise. And thanks for increasing my kleenex bill !

I can't watch the video clip on my computer ( too far out in the country with bad phone lines, I think), but I do know "Mrs. Skidboot", Barbara, from my reining horse list. Her husband is a horseshoer ( don't know if they said that on the video) and both he , his wife, and Skidboot are the real deal. Just nice down to earth folks who like their horses and dogs. He definately seems to have a knack for training dogs, and horses for that matter, and obviously has a wonderful bond with Skidboot.

I have always wondered how he trained though - just amazing, I can't figure it out!
You know, with dogs like Skidboot, I don't even like to use the term "train". My fist border collie, Pete, taught me that. It's a matter of *showing* more so than *training*, a matter of communicating what you're asking.

Their minds are ready. The onus is on us humans to figure out how to get our *requests* across. Skidboot and his owner have that rare relationship, where I think this sort of communication is understood.

Their story is good for the heart. Thank you for sharing.

I doubt he is breeding. I got the impression he purchased those pups. I didn't see any adult ACDs around - or any adults other than Skidboot, for that matter.

I'm pretty sure Skidboot is pure ACD. And he is neutered.

I actually cannot remember if Skidboot is a purebred or not but yes I do think he has bred Skidboot. Skidboot is going blind not just because he was kicked in the face. Skidboot has PRA which is hereditary in the acd. There has been a discussion on the acd boards that I am on about the fact that Skidboot has been bred a couple times and passing on PRA.

He is a very cool dog though and what they do together is unbelievable...

There is a website for Skidboot but not sure what it is right now. You can find out more about him on that...